87 Evinrude 40 HP - Starter keeps turning

sorry charlie

Recruit
Here is the sequence of events over a couple trips....<br /><br />Engine starts fine off the trailer but after fishing a few hours I try to start and it acts as if the battery is dying. Used the trolling motor battery and jumper cable to start and it starts fine. After the trip back to the ramp I turn off the engine and it starts fine without a jump.<br /><br />Trickle charged the battery a couple times during the week and the next trip there were no problems.<br /><br />Next time out I ventured very far from the ramp and after fishing the battery acted nearly dead again. Jumped it with the trolling motor battery again and it started fine. Stopped to fish one more time and when I tried to start it without a jump, the starter engaged and kept turning slowly without starting the engine, even after turning the key off it kept turning. I had to disconnect the negative cable to stop it. If I touched the cable to the battery the starter would turn. I thought the ignition switch was stuck but even after diconnecting the wires from the switch the starter would turn when I connected the battery.<br /><br />After the embarrasing ordeal of getting towed in and getting a lift to the other ramp to get my trailer, I got it home, put a fresh battery on it and tried to recreate the problem and it was fine. <br /><br />Any idea on what's going on with it? Is it the starter? Was it just because the battery was so low?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 Evinrude 40 HP - Starter keeps turning

Hi Charlie...welcome to iboats!<br /><br />I would suspect the stater solenoid is the problem. The disc that engages the the two large posts' is probably burnt with carbon and having a hard time passing current.<br /><br />I would also check all the connections between the solenoid and battery to make sure they are clean and tight. Dirty connections will give ya' a headache!

sorry charlie

Recruit
Re: 87 Evinrude 40 HP - Starter keeps turning

Thanks OBJ.<br /><br />Will check all connections and wiring and use a new battery next time out.<br /><br />If it happens again, is the solenoid something I can clean myself or does it have to be replaced/rebuilt? <br /><br />SC