Raising motor one hole

Zaxxon II

Seaman
After reading many posts here and checking my RPM's with a couple of props, I've come to the conclusion that I should try raising my motor at least one hole. I have a double step up hull (stratos). How difficult it it to remove the top two bolts and loosen the bottom ones and use the front trailer jack to raise the engine, and more importantly what can go wrong? Can I do this by myself? Is there any danger of the engine pulling away from the transome while being held by only the bottom bolts? Would it be better to use a floor jack to raise the motor?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Raising motor one hole

I have done it both ways, I use a block of wood under the skeg. If the two bolts in the slotted holes are are just loose enough to let the motor move up freely it won't fall off. If the motor started to get stuck and you kept jacking it up, you might brake the skeg or something, but if you go slow and check to see that is not binding it should be OK. I have done this many times on motors from 50HP to 200HP and have not had any problems, But I normally use the lift in my shop. Any time you work on the boat there is a chance something can go wrong, so just be carefull.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Raising motor one hole

Outboard Non-repair.