Can Anyone Help Me ID My Ancient Alumacraft?

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can Anyone Help Me ID My Ancient Alumacraft?

All motors are short shaft and Mercury was the only brand that had 40 hp. in a short shaft.

At speed the boat can kite (catch air) if there isn't weight up front. That I have a front trolling motor, battery and anchor up front it runs perfect.

The boat can easily handle 40 hp. because it is narrow and has a round chine. A wide boat weighing the same would literally fly.

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey river thanks for all your help! I see your in wisconsin? So am I you rinning that thing on the old miss? Did you see my post on the transom? have you ever replaced yours on your own? if so how hard was it and what thickness wood?

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Andyr,
I'm in banana belt of lower Minnesota (if to raise banana's) and one mile from the Mississippi River. My boat is garaged and the transom wood is original. The outside transom plywood is 3/8" thick and the inside transom wood is 1" thick. Sorry but I haven't any experience replacing the wood. But I know the outside plywood is also bonded (glued) to transom adding it's strength to it and thus water sealed and giving no movement or flexing between the aluminum and wood. 3/8" plywood might sound thin but that's what all these AlumaCraft's have and they're all bonded to the transom. To remove it is a project.

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea I was afraid of that. The transom wood on mine is not original it was just replaced but he uesed treated ply, I have read that the treated wood will ruin an aluminum boat so I want to get it off asap. I know he bolted it on not sure if he bonded it too I sure hope not I am guessing I may have to go at it with a chissel of some kind. thanks for all of your help.

hornbrod

Cadet

Haven't been on the forum for awhile - been too busy tearing up the bass and big crappie and getting reacquainted with my fabulous old FD after years of infrequent use. Just wanted to say thanks to River - Runner for his words of wisdom to not sell it, get a lighter boat if needed, but keep the FD. Well I did get another, an Otter 1200, but it just wasn't the same. I sold the Otter, and am now enjoying fishing, watching the eagles, blue herons, and the purple martins scimming across the water at dusk, from the FD! It's like an old friend. Hope you're still enjoying your rig as much as I am River - Runner, and thanks for reminding me about the importance of life's simpler, but very important pleasures.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you... and I'm always enjoying my '68 FD, even when not using it! Working gets in the way, but I'm taking it out tomorrow. After all these years I should start keeping a short log on the outings. Just to look back at the best of times it gives me. It started for me when I was six in my uncles new 1956 FD.

Desiderata

Recruit

I happen to have a 1957 Alumacraft Flying D that's been mothballed for 30 years. Structurally it's in excellent condition. Upholstered seats are gone and as I can figure it's got an aftermarket paint job. The motor was removed years ago. I'm starting to wonder if somebody else values it more than I. Any idea what an old stallion might be worth?

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Flying D is very highly valued and desired. You are so so lucky to have that boat. It's the dressed up runabout version of the FD utility boat originally posted on this thread. The ride and performance of the FD is terrific and to say what the Flying D can do is understood. If I was to have a chance to have a Flying D, whatever the shape it is, I'd pay top dollar for it and never look back. Having that rare classic is priceless.

Here's more pictures of the 1957 Flying D, kept as original.

Flying_D_1E.jpg

Flying_D_2E.jpg

Flying_D_5E.jpg

Flying_D_3E.jpg

Flying_D_4E.jpg

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

A update... although it's two months old, I now see the above '57 rig being for sale. The boat is located in upstate NY. For anyone that's seriously considering, private message me for info.

Hanr3

Seaman

I aquired a 1957 Alumacraft last winter model FL 4299. I found this thread while trying to find out any thing and everything about the FL model. I did read the post about the F models on page one, mostly FD. Anybody have info on the FL models?

super cs

Seaman Apprentice

I aquired a 1957 Alumacraft last winter model FL 4299. I found this thread while trying to find out any thing and everything about the FL model. I did read the post about the F models on page one, mostly FD. Anybody have info on the FL models?

From the 1958 Alumacraft catalogue:

"The FL shown is the leader of the four new low priced "L" series models which include the AL, EL and RBL. Weight and construction costs of all "L" series models have been lowered by using Redwood seats and Styrofoam floatation, so that they may be purchased at a substantial savings. Extrusions and fittings are of the same weight, design and quality as regular Aluma Craft. Hull design and construction of all "L" series boats is same as standard line except model FL has a slightly fuller bow and has transverse ribs and stiffeners. Excellent boats for resorts, rental operators, and camps; as well as for cottage owners and fishermen."

The spec sheet shows its 2 inches shorter than the model F, at 13'9", and weighs 16 lbs less, at 159 lbs. Also, the hp rating is down four to 16 hp.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

super cs,

Thanks for that info. I wondered why some boats, although the same, had wood seats.

hornbrod

Cadet

Well, I've decided to sell my old 1960 Alumacraft Model FD. It's on Ebay, item # 330556553250, and located in AL if anyone is interested. It's been fun.

boat1.jpg

boat5.jpg

Wyldcard

Cadet

I see River is showing off the Flying D again:p

Too bad your selling your '60,its a nice org. looking classic.

Not that mine is in the league with River's i just have to show her off again.....going to the lake tommorow morning:cool:

Mark

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: