Buying my first boat, few questions.

Downforce6

Seaman
Re: Buying my first boat, few questions.

I bought a similar boat 2 years ago, my first. I've had no problems whatsoever. I have a different motor tho. I/O

Mine is also a 17'.. The only heads up I might give is at this size, passengers are very limited. Basically 4 people max. Unless the are female, then 10-12 is ok. J/K Coast Guard says 6, but take my word for it, 4 adults, a cooler, and other gear and you are starting to feel cramped. I have the 3.0L GM which I believe is rated at about 125HP, Power seems fine to me but I haven't tried to tow a tube or anything. Yet.

Terrible fishing boat. Really, you can fish off it, but its not ideal at all.

Wake. Just depends where you are at, My normal lake is the 29 Sq mile Mark Twain in MO. Works great here, Other Bow riders of varying size, pontoons, cruisers and bass boats. No problem.

However I have tried the 84 Sq mile Lake of the Ozarks. Not much fun here, at least not in the popular areas. It isn't the water here, its the size and power of the other boats you're sharing the water with. The wake of the larger and more powerful boats that go here makes being in the water with them more work than pleasure.

All that said, I sure love my boat, its great for my family of 3 and Mark Twain Lake. But all be honest, I'm already ready to upgrade to at least a 19'. It sounds like you have some boating exp, I did not. the 17' was the perfect size for us to learn with.

Bimini Top 001.jpg
554384_406249386083162_1272382614_n.jpg
Bimini Top 003.jpg

Last edited:

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

I guess i should throw this out there, the use of the boat would be basically me, my GF and our 1 year old. So size is not a huge issue. Im not sure how you consider stuff size wise on the body of water. But im talking state park lakes 2500 sq ft and under in size. They guy has emailed me back about that perticular boat and this(quoted below) is what was said. So i dont know if i should steer away now or what.

"There is a soft spot in the floor between the back seats and the motor. I didn't get a chance to fix the floor or clean the boat before I winterized it. The bearings went out on the trailer so I had to put new bearings on the trailer to bring the boat home before winter. The boat didn't run when I bought it. I figured out somebody had run it hot and blew the head gasket. The boat sat for a while. When I got it I put plugs and a new stator on it. When it started the overheat buzzer started going off. I put a new impeller on the water pump, a new head gasket and then a new exhaust port gasket on it. The last time we took it out we went about 10 miles."

64osby

Admiral

I would keep looking, too many issues that will be big money to fix.

SigSaurP229

Commander

I guess i should throw this out there, the use of the boat would be basically me, my GF and our 1 year old. So size is not a huge issue. Im not sure how you consider stuff size wise on the body of water. But im talking state park lakes 2500 sq ft and under in size. They guy has emailed me back about that perticular boat and this(quoted below) is what was said. So i dont know if i should steer away now or what.

"There is a soft spot in the floor between the back seats and the motor. I didn't get a chance to fix the floor or clean the boat before I winterized it. The bearings went out on the trailer so I had to put new bearings on the trailer to bring the boat home before winter. The boat didn't run when I bought it. I figured out somebody had run it hot and blew the head gasket. The boat sat for a while. When I got it I put plugs and a new stator on it. When it started the overheat buzzer started going off. I put a new impeller on the water pump, a new head gasket and then a new exhaust port gasket on it. The last time we took it out we went about 10 miles."

Then he should pay you $1600 to haul that crap away.

This one has ALOT of potential.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/boa/4263552102.html

http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/4289788290.html

The last one the Starcraft Holiday is the winner. in the second link

Last edited:

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks sig, ill take a look at it! I got a question. What im looking for is a boat to cruise around on with the family, and we will fish off of it. But i am not looking for a Fishing boat. Would there be any downfall to buying a inboard boat?

SigSaurP229

Commander

I/O boats require more maintenance. Change the oil, change the gimble bearings and shift bellows and properly winterize each season.

They will also be quieter, and smoother running which will more than likely make the admiral happy, and will additionally make your 1 year old happy as well.

Kudos for starting your kid out young it is a hobby that will carry with him/her for their whole life. My youngest (19 months) was out on my boat at 2 months old car seat and all.

Last edited:

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Im not concerned with the oil chages, ill have too look into the bearings and such. Doubt its a dig deal too me. What about gas consumption? For my uses listed would there be any downside to one?The fact you mention its quieter already has me leaning that way haha. Nothing like being full throttle across a lake trying to talk to someone.

SigSaurP229

Commander

If that Holiday is in as good of shape as the seller claims, with a fresh proper restoration it is worth his asking price. It won't fish as well because it won't go into as shallow water but it won't be that bad because most aluminum boats have a fairly shallow draft. You don't buy a boat thinking about gas consumption. Being a 4 cyl the gas consumption won't be to bad.

One other thing to think about

What are you towing with

Last edited:

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

What do you consider "Going in to shallow water"?

SigSaurP229

Commander

Trying to use your primary engine fishing around Stumps, and such is more of a risk, for beaching and playing around it would be a great buy.

What kind of vehicle are you towing with

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

05 Ranger, 4.0 v6, 4x4, manual transmission.

Im not wanting a huge boat. Something around 17 ft 16 or 17ft

SigSaurP229

Commander

That holiday fits perfect for what you are wanting

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Id prefer something open bow. But i am looking into it

SigSaurP229

Commander

Ohh I understand the open bow logic but its a TON easier to keep a toddler contained, and safe in a closed bow.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Next question. What brand of boats. Of the style of boat i am interested in would i want to stear away from, such as it seems Bayliner is one of them.. Or what brands to steer towards?

Downforce6

Seaman

Google, FishNski. You might be happier with something like this if you really want to do alot of fishing.

Like a Javelin or a Stratos

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

Is that a brand, or style?

It is a style. Basically a runabout that has provisions for fishing seats and sometimes a livewell. For the most part they suck (I think) because they still have carpet which is something I would never want in a boat that people were allowed to fish in.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Okay gotcha. What about Sea Ray boats, ive found a few of those i like.