Buying my first boat, few questions.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Buying my first boat, few questions.

Well he sent me a picture of the motor and it says mercruiser 3.0 on the top. Maybe he listed the wrong HP in the ad? He said it will do about 35 which is okay with me. Our pontoon does 22-23 and it doesn't bother me.

thumpar

Admiral

It could just have a drive on it that says 120 and that is what he posted. They are the same drives so no biggy. That is about the speed we could do and worked fine for what we needed.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

When the boat was originally posted everyone thought i should jump on it, as it would suit my needs and is priced very fair? Any arguments to that?

thumpar

Admiral

Just make sure it is checked out well just like I would suggest with any boat. From the ad is sounds like a good deal.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah i realize that. Plan to go look at it here in the near future.

pckeen

Commander

If it is genuinely redone, that is a good price for that boat. Couple of things - check how he did the restoration: if he simply put recarpeted marine plywood over the top of the floor, then the restoration was not properly redone: he has basically put a new floor over a rotten substructure. If, however, he removed the old floor, took out all the flotation, put in new flotation, then put a new floor over the top - then that is a great deal.

Make sure that when he put in a new floor, he put in exterior grade or marine plywood, but NOT treated plywood (treated plywood contains chemicals that will corrode aluminum.

Check the transom - if the floor was done, the transom may need re-doing as well.

I have an 19' Holiday with a 90 horse on the back - even with spouse and three small kids - the boat was fine speedwise, and I had no problem tubing with adults.

Last edited:

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Best way to check rhe transom? Or is it easy to eyebal