Buying my first boat, few questions.

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Buying my first boat, few questions.

My old boat would have been perfect for you. Since you have a background working on cars I would go with an I/O. The one in mine was a 120hp Mercruiser. We could go the 50 mile round trip on about $30 in gas on the lake we boat on. The only reason we got rid of it is because I wanted more power and she wanted more room to bring people. It sold for $100 more than I bought it for 7 years earlier.

There is nothing wrong with a Bayliner. They are good boats just not real fancy. The only problem is that because they are cheaper the owners tend to not take as much care as some of the more expensive boats. If you could find a well maintained on jump on it. In any boat the floors, stringers and transom rot are the things that would worry me the most.

Last edited:

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, i guess i know what to look for now, and have opened my options to accept both I/o's and outboards

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I had an 87 Bayliner that I bought back in 1990. I would never recommend one from that era having owned one. Too many quality issues. Now that they are over 20 years old, even more reason not to get one.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

I have found a few sea rays that I'm looking into and a maxum that had new interior.

thumpar

Admiral

Those are both good brands. My friend had a Maxum. It was a great boat.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

That's always good to hear. All of the boats I currdntly have in my sights are inboard/outboard... opening up to a inboard really opened my options

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Still looking into options, ran into this one. Seems well cared for in my opinion and in good shape for the year. Whats your guy's thoughts.

1984 Rinker Fish & Ski Inboard/outboard

Initially i was looking for something a few years newer, but with all they updates and receipts i have no issue with the year of that boat. Just figured i would get other opinions from more experienced people.

thumpar

Admiral

Read up on the Mercruiser 470. There a few people that like them but they know how to fix the issues. I would not recommend it to anyone.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

What I've read about them issue wise seems to be fixed by getting rid of the points ignition snd upgrading to a modern setup. I have not read snythong too bsd about them. Maybe I have not dug deep enough

thumpar

Admiral

A lot of people have cooling issues with them even after upgrading the heat exchanger.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

I seen a bit about that on older models. I would assume 84 would have to be considered newer of the 470s since I hsvent seen one in boats newer than that. It seems the alternator mountdd on balancr shaft is the most common issue and has been corrected on this boat.

Have you owned a 470?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Don't buy a 470. Many problems besides ones you mentioned.

thumpar

Admiral

It is not just the 470. The price seem kind of high especially when it is being sold in the winter.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Plan to try to negotiate on price. Im not set on this boat yet, its just one that i am looking at. and from what i had read the biggest issue had already be corrected (charging system)

Maclin

Admiral

RE: The 470, don;t forget about the charging system. Even if upgraded to an alternator there are epoxied-on magnets and such to makes sure have been scraped off the inside.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, well guys back on page two, a member had refered me to a few boats on craigslist, one of them being a completley redone starcraft. I have been chatting with the guy all evening and have because REALLY interested in it. I will re link to the craigslist add below. Is there anything i should know before going to check it out?

Boat has the 3.0 mercruiser.

1975 StarCraft Holiday

thumpar

Admiral

As long as you don't care about going fast it look like a nice boat. The 120 is a 2.5l. That is what I had in my last boat.