Buying my first boat, few questions.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying my first boat, few questions.

It's red, might be good 'til 2016?

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

get some cash, go visit. It's an outboard you can start it in the driveway wiht muffs.

As i said, waiting on a email back. At least now i feel more comfortable buying one as long as its well kept.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

and bonus, relative to boating in general you will use almost no fuel, maybe 7-8 mpg. We just downsized to the 23' in my sig line and i get 2.5 mpg which I'm ecstatic about. The last one got less than 1 mpg.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Normally, I would stay away from that year Bayliner but since it's only $1600, not much money invested.

Maybe it's just the pictures but either the side glass is awfully clean or it's missing some side glass.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

Normally, I would stay away from that year Bayliner but since it's only $1600, not much money invested.

Maybe it's just the pictures but either the side glass is awfully clean or it's missing some side glass.

I don't know if that is an option or a lot of people just take the side glass out. About half of the ones I've seen of that vintage have no glass in the side frames.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

the small ones didn't have them. Feels more open.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I don't know if that is an option or a lot of people just take the side glass out. About half of the ones I've seen of that vintage have no glass in the side frames.
You are right.

I just looked at some more online and they don't look like they have glass either.

64osby

Admiral

What is the purpose of the boat or how will you use it? How many people?

Skiing, tubing, cruising, fishing.........???

My first take would be no don't get it, but it depends on what your trying to do with it.

southkogs

Staff member

I'm thinking that 50 will be kinda' sluggish on that boat. The 17' was rated to 85HP, and 50HP is a little underpowered. For generally putting around, it'll be okay but with a few people one board she may have trouble planing out.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I'm thinking that 50 will be kinda' sluggish on that boat. The 17' was rated to 85HP, and 50HP is a little underpowered. For generally putting around, it'll be okay but with a few people one board she may have trouble planing out.

that is what the open bow is for.

:lol:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

What is the purpose of the boat or how will you use it? How many people?

Skiing, tubing, cruising, fishing.........???

My first take would be no don't get it, but it depends on what your trying to do with it.

what make you state that?

pckeen

Commander

I don't know - if that bayliner checked out well, sounds like a reasonable deal for $1600....but I would want to see it runnning at the very least. Maybe view it, go with $$$, then make an offer to buy that is contingent on a successful water test - that way the buyer will be much more likely to let you give it a test. If he or she won't let you test it, don't touch it.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

Going to be used for fishing along with just cruising around enjoying the water.. the motor power doesn't worry me

southkogs

Staff member

Going to be used for fishing along with just cruising around enjoying the water.. the motor power doesn't worry me
… sorta'.

I'm not a "go fast" kinda' boater. I putt around near as much as I run up on plane. What I'm concerned about on that boat (or would be) is getting on plane at all. I had a 16 that I ran for a time on a 50. My son and I on board, and she'd make about 22MPH up on plane … tolerable.

Add the Admiral - who is rail thin - and we couldn't dig outta' the hole even if I shoved everyone up front. That meant we'd have a hard time breaking 12MPH as we just plowed away or brought it back down to displacing. Essentially it would go like a barge.

Was fine at the time for swimming and such, but when we wanted to start exploring more of the lake we just didn't have the go power.

Just be aware. May not be a deal killer.

64osby

Admiral

what make you state that?

A friend had one that I borrowed years ago, it had a 50. Way underpowered hard to get on plane with 2 adults and two tots.

See below also

IMHO this is not a good fishing rig, it would cruise just fine. Very weak for skiing or tubing. Very small for 4 adults.

If you were looking at more fishing and less cruising, I would be looking for a 16 to 18' open bow aluminum boat. Light weight, easy to tow, easy to repair / maintain, holds value for possible resale. This type of boat could be kept a lifetime and be passed on to the next generation.

My .02 and yes I'm biased towards Tin boats because the FG ones I've owned no longer float and would cost 3 times what there worth to fix.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not buyung a fishing boat.. I'm buying a cruising boat that I could fish off of.. my question is not what kind of boat to buy. Its what ro look for when buying

64osby

Admiral

I`mNotMe

Seaman

BoatinJosh,

What will the new boat be used for?
re: Sking, tubing, crusing, etc?

What size of lake / river will it be used on:
re: Small lake, small river, large lake?

I have a 17ft bow rider for rivers / small bays and love it. Great boat for playing around at low speeds. And being a bow rider, I can load the front with 1-2 people as well. Very happy with it. But on the large open water, ouch! Rock back and forth and within a few short minutes, I'm motion sick. For larger boy waters, a 21-22 bow rider should be the much better size. But, this large size is little too big for the smaller / shallow waters.

For engine size, always determine which size sounds good, then "up size" 2 more times. re: If you think you need an 85 HP, then get a 120 instead. Or, even a 150 - if tubing or loaded heavy. My 17' bow rider boat has a 120 HP and when tubing, its lugging. Next time, I'd go with a 125/150 size instead. Thus, having that extra power "under its hood" - when its needed.

Inboard or outboard is another preference thing. My current boat has and external OB motor. Easy to access (maintenance and repairs) and easy to see what its doing as well. On dry land testing its very loud. But in the water, its surprizing quiet sounding engine. For my next boat, I'm thinking inside engine. And, would like to go with a 4.3L Volvo - which has reputation of being a strong and reliable engine - compared to my current OB 120 HP engine. IB or OB is personal choice. Next time, I'd like to try IB engine and see how I'd like it.

When buying a boat for 1st time, I'd recommend buying used (pre-owned). I bought used because I can accidently bounce it off the dock &/or not worry about driving/landing on the beach. No worries about small dings or dangs. But if I bough brand new (like a brand new vehicle), I'd be over worried about getting its first scratch. Or, over worried about bounce off a sharp dock edge - while learning to drive it. To me, new boat is for the experienced. Used boat (even 3+ years old) is for folks who don't care about accidently dings / dangs.

Hope these ideas help in your research.

Last edited: