BRP reveals a new style of outboard, Rotax powered, horizontal crankshaft....

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
4 stroke outboards are amazing.-----But I have seen many in the scrap heap.----Too many parts and major repairs can not be done economically.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
4 stroke outboards are amazing.-----But I have seen many in the scrap heap.----Too many parts and major repairs can not be done economically.
They are not wonderful if the repairs cost to much to actually fix them.
Kinda funny though one of the best engine manufacturers in the world still running 2 strks. Putting the engine under the water line is nothing new.

briangcc

Commander
IF, and mighty big IF, they take off, I wonder if you could get them in other power configurations and mounted on different boats - say a Ski & Fish or deck boat? Be nice to have the best of both worlds - large continuous sunpand/swimdeck and outboard.

chris.olson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IF, and mighty big IF, they take off, I wonder if you could get them in other power configurations and mounted on different boats - say a Ski & Fish or deck boat? Be nice to have the best of both worlds - large continuous sunpand/swimdeck and outboard.

According to the statements at the Q&A session during the press release, the mounting pattern and location is compatible with other outboards on the market. For 2023, however, they will only be available on boats designed for 25" shaft length, and only on Manitou pontoons and select Alumacraft models in the U.S. They are available on BRP's other brand, Quintrex in Australia, as well.

chris.olson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The four-strokes of today are, for the most part, throwaway units only designed to be serviced with sub-assemblies. Take like Mercury's inline-four 8-valve four-stroke powerheads - they list the internal parts like pistons and rods but you can't actually get them. If you need a powerhead because of a bent rod or broken piston you can only get either a new powerhead, or a factory-reman (which is a warranty return that Mercury Marine fixed and re-sells as "factory-reman").

So, at present, the only way to rebuild a blown Merc four-stroke powerhead is to buy used parts off eBay and there's plenty of them on there being parted out because they blew up.

briangcc

Commander
Well it would need to be pushing more than 150 ponies as that's going to be anemic on a 21-22' fiberglass deck boat with the options I would need to have.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well it would need to be pushing more than 150 ponies as that's going to be anemic on a 21-22' fiberglass deck boat with the options I would need to have.
That must be why those new to boating keep asking if 150hp on a 16 ft boat is enough to pull a Skier. A 50hp 2 Stroke on the same size boat could pull a couple of people with ease, but not these Torqueless things sold these days

briangcc

Commander
Yes, the people we bought the MFG in my signature from were water skiing behind it. And that's with burnt pistons (per the marina that did some maintenance for us). But that was a bare bones, no frills, awfully light boat....nothing like the floating sofa boats these days which require a lot more power to move.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
It’s good to see two strokes coming back through Rotax. The new motors are not like their smoky cousins of the past. The snowmobile crowd hates the 4 strokes unless they are turbo charged. Then there’s the 2 stroke turbo charged mountain sleds that are just crazy on power. Variable exhaust valves are standard in most large 2 strokes now. They are a bit of a maintenance issue as they carbon up and can get stuck. Using the correct synthetic oil helps.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That’s what I’ve always said, they’re fine until you have to do some internal engine repairs and then because of parts cost, complexity and aluminum corrosion it’s not as easy as repairing an old school Chevrolet small block. So modern OBs are fine if you buy new or like 3-5 years old then here people seem to get 10-15 years out of them before corrosion sets in.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Gee, why not bolt on a SeaDrive and call it a night? Wait, those failed, didn't they?
I think they drowned or sank from the stern since the weight and thrust were so far from the stern and slow speeds and cutting the throttle put the powerhead in the water.....just hoping the cowling seals were working. Owners have posted on here concerning my 2 comments.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This concept is just ready , ready for electric conversion.-----I am sure they are working on a battery / marine electronics package to switch and offer an electric model.-----Perhaps next year.

briangcc

Commander
I think we're a ways off from that for a number of reasons. First and foremost is lack of charging and the additional weight from the battery pack. Then limited run time.

harringtondav

Commander
This concept is just ready , ready for electric conversion.-----I am sure they are working on a battery / marine electronics package to switch and offer an electric model.-----Perhaps next year.
State of art Tesla battery technology is around 10 lbs per kWh. One gallon of gas = 33.7 kWh, or 34 lbs of battery. 1 hp = .75 kWh. As we all know, planing boats are power thirsty. The rest is simple math.
.....I'm thinking it will take a bit longer than next year for speed boats.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There was an electric ski boat some years ago. It was conventional battery powered. You had about an hour of skiing and 12 hours to charge up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not everybody wants to go fast with a boat.-------These will be available as electrics sooner than you think.-----I spot more and more electric vehicles on the road.----Not cheaper I think but very popular.

harringtondav

Commander
Not everybody wants to go fast with a boat.-------These will be available as electrics sooner than you think.-----I spot more and more electric vehicles on the road.----Not cheaper I think but very popular.
This outfit has at least one prototype. It uses up to four conventional 12V batteries. As with a gas boat, battery life is a function of throttle position.
I text chatted with the principal guy. The drive is a submerged axial electric motor with a planetary reduction drive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Electric boats like EVs will only work for that segment of the population that has a dock with shore power. Totally impractical for thousands of moored boats in harbors around the world. The same way EVs won’t work for city dwellers who live in apartments & condominiums. Still some people just don’t get it. The “revolution”
must come because they have willed it so against any evidence of how it won’t work.
Put some sails on that E-pontoon!

harringtondav

Commander
Electric boats like EVs will only work for that segment of the population that has a dock with shore power. Totally impractical for thousands of moored boats in harbors around the world. The same way EVs won’t work for city dwellers who live in apartments & condominiums. Still some people just don’t get it. The “revolution”
must come because they have willed it so against any evidence of how it won’t work.
Put some sails on that E-pontoon!
Three of my sis's in law have places on the same 260 acre lake. Two have pontoons with smallish O/Bs .....35 hp. They only putt around the lake with neighbors/friends on cocktail cruises. All have 120V extension cord power for their boat lifts, so charging wouldn't be a problem.
I doubt any of them will trade in their pontoon for the above. Gas savings on a 35 hp Yammy would never pay back. But this electro pontoon could be an option for this size lake and boat use.

Status
Not open for further replies.