BRP reveals a new style of outboard, Rotax powered, horizontal crankshaft....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Interesting, it is a low profile outboard with a horizontal crankshaft design, appears to be a DI 2 stroke.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Will have to see if established dealers will take on this line of products.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
So you get a full swim platform with an OB. That is nice.

This OB will likely have two sets of gears like an I/O. Not so good.

Anyone know if it is self draining, or does it need to be drained like an I/O?

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems like some portion of the motor may sit below waterline.
edit looks like most of crankcase is below surface at least below planing speed.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Quite interesting....one thing I do know is that I wont be one of the first to own one !!!

Reactions: KJM

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I don’t think the 2 sets of gears are necessarily a problem because what causes problems with that set up in I/Os is the bellows and lack of maintenance & need to pull the drive each season. The other potential advantage is the horizontal crankshaft design is likely to have much less thrust forces on the crankshaft bearings than on an engine with a vertical crankshaft. This has been a problem on certain outboards. To me the bigger concern is possible water ingestion due to the low engine height.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Coming soon to your Alumacraft, which BRP has purchased. ?????

ghost

tpenfield

Staff member
I looked at the info on these engines . . . pretty wild, sitting in the water like that 🤪

What the deal with Rotax Engines? different 'tech' or physics, or what? Sure looks about the same as other engines :unsure:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I looked at the info on these engines . . . pretty wild, sitting in the water like that 🤪

What the deal with Rotax Engines? different 'tech' or physics, or what? Sure looks about the same as other engines :unsure:
the BRP engineers developed the Rotax. its what they understand.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Rotax engines have been used by Bombardier Skidoo snowmobiles ( BRP ) for a long time.----Came out of Austria I believe.----European design experts.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, why not bolt on a SeaDrive and call it a night? Wait, those failed, didn't they?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It all makes you wonder what would have been if BRP came out with a 4 stroke outboard for the Evinrude line back when Yamaha & Mercury were changing over…

jbcurt00

Staff member
It looks like BRP has announced a few details of what was previously called "Project Ghost".

They own Manitou and Alumacraft, so the new integrated outboard engines are only available for 2023 on those boats. The powerhead is a 1.9L G2 direct-injected two-stroke rebranded as Rotax, available in 115hp and 150hp versions. The 150 uses RAVE exhaust valves. Since it is a low-profile partially submerged engine, it has a water-tight cowling held together with 15 screws. The oil tank is not on the engine, it is a 3.5 gallon tank integrated into the boat.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
As a snowmobile enthusiast I can say the Rotax engines are awesome in Skidoo machines. The DI 2 strokes are really impressive and reliable. Not as good as Polaris, but I may be slightly biased. 🤔
I do wonder about the longevity of a “waterproof” cowl. How many seasons will it stay that way?

Chief Petty Officer
Good for them, innovating and thinking outside of the box.

I'm all for it.

Is the entire thing underwater ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As a snowmobile enthusiast I can say the Rotax engines are awesome in Skidoo machines. The DI 2 strokes are really impressive and reliable. Not as good as Polaris, but I may be slightly biased. 🤔
I do wonder about the longevity of a “waterproof” cowl. How many seasons will it stay that way?
right past the warranty

chris.olson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the BRP engineers developed the Rotax. its what they understand.

Actually, Rotax has been building aircraft engines far longer than BRP has existed. The Rotax 912 is legendary as an aircraft engine for reliability and durability, and received FAA certification in 1995. In 1998 Rotax outsold all other aircraft engine manufacturers combined. Rotax has been building aircraft engines for over 100 years, they were founded in 1920 in Dresden, Germany. It was purchased by Fichtel & Sachs in 1930, and by Bombardier Inc. in 1970. Today it is headquartered in Gunskirchen, Austria.

BRP was spun off from Bombardier Inc. in 2003 and retained ownership of Rotax. Rotax is a well-regarded engine manufacturer, renowned for building high quality engines in both two-stroke and four-stroke configurations.

The powerhead in the new Rotax outboard is an Evinrude E-TEC G2, 1.9L three-cylinder two-stroke used formerly in the Evinrude 115 and 150hp outboards, rebranded as Rotax. The 150hp version uses RAVE (Rotax Automatic Variable Exhaust) exhaust valves.

I suspect these will be quite popular in pontoons. They are so quiet and smooth that you can't tell that the engine is running if you touch it while it's running. It is a perfect match for pontoon boaters since the engine is totally maintenance-free, doesn't require oil changes and has has one touch winterization by just pushing a button. There was nothing wrong with the Evinrude E-TEC two-strokes, they are superior to any four-stroke for torque, power-to-weight and durability, get better fuel economy, and they use less oil than oil changes require in a comparable four-stroke. The main problem was market perception because everybody got four-stroke tattoo's on their forehead and if it wasn't four-stroke then it must not be any good.

BRP intends to change that with the re-branding to Rotax, because especially the pontoon crowd could care less how many strokes it has. If it's quiet, out of the way, just runs and doesn't require any attention or maintenance it's perfect for Party Barges, Lake Luxury Yachts, or whatever you want to call them. And pontoons are the single most popular hull style on inland lakes. Our lake here has over 100 miles of shoreline, cruise the shores and look at what's moored at all the lake home docks, out of 100 boats only 5 or 6 are v-hulls, the rest are pontoons. They are popular because people put the whole family on them, plus invite their friends with their kids. They go out for a day of boating, they got a grille going on the deck, kids are jumping off the side and having a blast, everybody else is kicked back in like barco loungers enjoying a cold one in the shade because it has a big top on it - they are an incredibly popular boating style. The boating industry sells almost 5,000 pontoons for every salt water boat that is sold.

I predict BRP will sell these by the truckload on pontoons.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed ROTAX , is not something new.-----The general public perceives 2 stroke to be an inferior product.

Status
Not open for further replies.