Bought my first boat to cut, gut and rebuild from bow to stern, including engine. Killed my back and suffered the wrath of the fiberglass demons

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh and since this is your first boat you probably don't know this but any tools needed or just wanted DO NOT count to any reported budget, rental or purchase.

It's a rule, just ask anyone here.
I'm not sure what this means. Why would I want to report to anyone that I am buying tools?

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
It appears you are the Winter King. So you are getting alot of replies and hopefully good info to digest. Not much else going on here cept a drippy aluminum boat.
Work is looking good!
View attachment 395315
😂😂😂 Winter King HAHAHA. Now there's a name for the boat! LOL..... It's been such warm weather! You bet your a$$ that I am going to utilize it to get on the water sooner!!!!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Harbor freight to buy

Local equipment rental to rent (I think United Rental is still on Market St).

I have even bought an A-frame gantry and hoist on Craigslist, use it for a week and sold it for same amount. (Net $0)
I might look into that. Thanks!

briangcc

Commander
What they're saying is....

Home Depot for all you lumber cost, for example, $500.

That's the total cost of your project. Regardless if you...

Had to use a tank and a half to get back and forth several times.
Had a $500 Harbor Freight bill for tools and other incidentals.

So even though your out of pocket is double + some, SWMBO is told $500 project.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
you will get it after many trips out to the tool shop / hardware shop , you were warned :) when this thread started that you will need to budget foe lots of tools .

most of us guys a married or with partners , sometimes its un forgivable to be spending copious amounts on tools when we do out builds , my last build / renovation had a 6 or 7 hundred dollar tool bill , not including the $300 cordless angle grinder i smoked and the $120 battery i had to buy because i got tired of switching 2 batteries between 3 tools , so probably all up close to 1k ,

if you have means to store an engine crane , buy one it will become the best tool you own.

look on the good side you get to own more tools , he with the most tools wins :).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
stay away from harbor freight grinders unless you buy the warranty. they usually smoke on the first time you use them. I have an old craftsman (relabeled dewalt) 4.5" angle grinder that is over 30 years old. it has been re-greased 4 times, and is on its 3rd chord. it has ground welds on about 20 different hot rod chassis and ground 5 boats worth of fiberglass.

Tools and PPE are the unspoken parts you dont keep track of....

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i trend toward buying cheap tools , we have a brand ozito here in Australia they make just about every type of power tool, if i know the tool i need to buy is going to be one of those tools that just gets chucked around and only used for specific jobs then i figure why buy the better quality version.
i have a bread crate under the bench that has all the cheapo tools in it , it looks like a bucket of fish hooks with tangled cords and the like but they are all still usable.
most of my power tools are Hitachi 18 v battery or air powered , they serve me well and no need to have power cords all over.
air tools i find are good value but a decent compressor is needed .

OP don't keep us in suspense , ???? what is this motor you speak of :)pics ????.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
RYOBI done...interchangeable batteries for all battery tools. Consider as a disposable.
Electric on the grinder........disposable been thru 2-3
Multitool...electric, Ridged, blades harbor freight or amazon Chinese stuff.
Sawzall and or mini Sawzall...Electric Milwaukee
God so so sooo many fun tools coming your way!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
you will get it after many trips out to the tool shop / hardware shop , you were warned :) when this thread started that you will need to budget foe lots of tools .

most of us guys a married or with partners , sometimes its un forgivable to be spending copious amounts on tools when we do out builds , my last build / renovation had a 6 or 7 hundred dollar tool bill , not including the $300 cordless angle grinder i smoked and the $120 battery i had to buy because i got tired of switching 2 batteries between 3 tools , so probably all up close to 1k ,

if you have means to store an engine crane , buy one it will become the best tool you own.

look on the good side you get to own more tools , he with the most tools wins :).
Lol. I'm good with budgeting.... and I make decent money... just gotta wait for my next check now haha

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Still here. Haven't given up. Wanted to work on her yesterday and today but instead worked on obtaining tools necessary for reconstruction. Went and got a motor stand from Facebook marketplace and folding cherry picker from harbor freight. I know I'm probably crazy for getting one new for one little project... but the way I see it.....I may need to use one at least 4 times for this project alone.... if I rent.. that's probably 50.00 per rental.....200.00. I found them on Facebook used for 250.00... brand new is 270.00. I figure I can either hang onto it for future heavy lifting projects if I ever need one or sell it later and get a good chunk of money back. Either way.. this weekend I plan on getting my new (to me) motor mounted on the stand..... use the new marine battery and ears that I just got today and fire it up just to see how it works. Lol might work on the boat as well if I have the time.... but I'm also spending Saturday with friends and family.

That's it for now. Hope everyone is well!

On a side note... guy I got the battery from said one will do just fine for starting and basic electrical.....I found 2 battery boxes in my boat. How many will I need?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
One is fine is long as it is good and you don't put some giant ass stero in and play it all day.
That said..... since you are basically gutting, a second small one added on a switch might not be a bad thing.

You haven't told us about the new motor yet. Fess up mister.