Bought my first boat to cut, gut and rebuild from bow to stern, including engine. Killed my back and suffered the wrath of the fiberglass demons

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What I want to say but won't is:
What if a Turd lands on a fish? Gosh poor fishy...
Is the tp biodegradable?
What if you catch the fish that just ate the turd?
Good cooking?
Primarily the young women do and need privacy. Gots ta turn your heads away while doing the business.
Boys are not the same in this matter most of the time. I had guy drop a log off the side of my boat and it grossed me out.....hence here fishy fishy.. log log log
Porta Potty is the way to go nearly never close enough to go back to dock.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
What I want to say but won't is:
What if a Turd lands on a fish? Gosh poor fishy...
Is the tp biodegradable?
What if you catch the fish that just ate the turd?
Good cooking?
Primarily the young women do and need privacy. Gots ta turn your heads away while doing the business.
Boys are not the same in this matter most of the time. I had guy drop a log off the side of my boat and it grossed me out.....hence here fishy fishy.. log log log
Porta Potty is the way to go nearly never close enough to go back to dock.
THIS RIGHT HERE.....Exactly what I'm thinking!

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's an option for me and my son....but the rest of the family is females with tiny bladders. I need bare minimum a bucket.
the bucket works surprisingly well "in most cases" ,i can vouch for that having 2 girl and one boy grand kids and a missus that have small bladders as well.
not that i am one of those tree hugger type but IMHO a bucket is a much better eco friendly option than those nasty chemicals toilets on the market.

how is the stripping out coming along , it is tedious work , but the better the tear down the better the end result will be .
keep at it (y) .

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
the bucket works surprisingly well "in most cases" ,i can vouch for that having 2 girl and one boy grand kids and a missus that have small bladders as well.
not that i am one of those tree hugger type but IMHO a bucket is a much better eco friendly option than those nasty chemicals toilets on the market.

how is the stripping out coming along , it is tedious work , but the better the tear down the better the end result will be .
keep at it (y) .
I was not looking into a porta potty with chemicals in them...Just basically a glorified bucket, with a bagging system where you can tie the bag off from when you're done doing your business, leave the tied bag in the bucket and place another bag inside to line it for the next person. Know if anything like that exists? If not, then I will make it a thing. Perhaps I will have a few bags set aside prefilled with a thickener such as kitty litter so if someone pees into them, it'll thicken up right away and then can be thrown in the trash after the trip is over. I might look into placing a small seat of some sort onto the bucket top for comfortability. Thoughts?

Stripping out is coming along......The last pics you see in here are where i am currently at. It is a very slow process with me working 12 hour and many days, 16 hour shifts. I can only get at it for a couple hours here and there on my days off. I will try to get at it tomorrow again. I only have the flooring under one stern seat base and foam to pull, and then the hull will be completely stripped of all extras. After that, I will pull the stringers and then the transom. I have not tested them yet, but everything else I have pulled has been 100% rotted out, so I am not holding my breath that the stringers and transom will be any different. I will test prior to pulling the transom though. After all that, I will have just remnant pieces to cut out with my multipurpose tool that my sawzall or skillsaw left behind. I wanted to leave them for last for any last minute measurements that I might want to take. Then I can start sanding. I have about forty 40 grit sanding disks to start with and my angle grinder to place them on. I feel very confident that I can get everything out, but pulling the transom scares the crap out of me. I am doing research but am still struggling to find a good informative read on exactly how to remove a transom...especially when I do not plan to remove the cap.

briangcc

Commander
They (meaning almost any sporting goods store) used to sell glorified 5 gallon buckets complete with a seat and other amenities. Probably still around for the hunters to utilize.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Guaranteed that the fleet farm in Green Bay has the bucket you mention in the hunting/camping section

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
They (meaning almost any sporting goods store) used to sell glorified 5 gallon buckets complete with a seat and other amenities. Probably still around for the hunters to utilize.
I looked around. Think I found one that would work best!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
All the difficult crap is out! I removed the last section of flooring and foam from the stern today. Cleaned all at the debris and then decided to keep gong. I cut what was remaining of the original bulkhead from the front of the gas tank and then decided to remove the tank. For the life of me...I could not get the hoses off the tank after removing the hose clamps. I ended up having to cut them out. They were cracked anyways but I sure hope I can find replacement hoses. There was about 75 to 100lbs of gas in the tank. How can I tell if it's still good??? If it's not.... how do I get rid of it? Does anything need to be done with the tank at this time? Does it need to be cleaned out? Also.... when removing the tank...I found that there were 3 wires connected to the tank. Any clue what they were doing there or what the were once connected to? Ground wires maybe? I've got one remaining bulkhead left that makes up the bilge and then I can start removing the stringers. I will test the transom soon and I am hoping that I don't need to remove it.... but not holding my breath. Also... did anyone know if the transom makes up the entire back of the boat? I'm thinking that it is just a smaller piece in the middle. That's it for now. Going to look at a motor tomorrow. Any helpful tips on anything are appreciated. Not much more to go and then I can start the fun part!!!

Attachments

• 20240306_171345.jpg
    20240306_171345.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240306_171356.jpg
    20240306_171356.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240306_171416.jpg
    20240306_171416.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Wires were for fuel gage

Hoses from auto parts store, make sure to get fuel lines

Transom should be all across

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mr Outboard in Green Bay has both A1 and A2 fuel lines in stock That is where I used to buy it when I worked in De Pere for my restorations.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
give fuel the sniff test , chances are its 2 stroke in the tank , therefor you cant use it in your car if it still smell's ok.
i know of people that use it to get rid of weeds on the fence line ( not me of course !) .
you could get lucky , not knowing the construction of your hull , i have seen a few around that era that just the center section had wood and the rest was very thick fiberglass with striges tied /glassed onto that , this will cause some extra work when doing the stingers , cross that bridge when you get there .

3 wires are 1 to fuel gauge , 1 to fuel gauge ground and one to battery ground , i like to keep the battery ground on fuel tanks just in case of static when filling the tank.

Chris51280

Ensign
USCG Type A1 hoses are designed for fuel feed applications where the fuel is constantly in the hose, whereas Type A2 hoses are designed for fuel fill type hoses only.

wire were for the fuel sender and ground. one is to ground from fill cap to tank.

With the outboard design, to get the transom fixed, you will have to take the top off. If you look at other resto projects, that's what they all did.

Chris51280

Ensign
mix the old gas into your lawnmower at a ratio that you won't notice. If you have other gas operated items, mix it in with that at a 5:1 ratio. old cars that have no catalytic converter etc.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
mix the old gas into your lawnmower at a ratio that you won't notice. If you have other gas operated items, mix it in with that at a 5:1 ratio. old cars that have no catalytic converter etc.
i used to mix old fuel into the fuel on my pressure washer , let me tell you guys , its not a great idea.
halfway through an important job the motor just stopped.
after diagnosing to be a busted rocker arm , i decided to strip the motor , it was so gummed up in the top end that the rocker arm was not strong enough to carry the load of the valve.
so not a good idea to mix up that old fuel with new fuel just to get rid of it.

give it back to the earth where it come from.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Whatever you do with the gas, please dispose of it responsibly and don’t just dump it on the ground. Nobody needs 10-15 gallons of gasoline in local waterways or groundwater.