Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Dan19720

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Does anyone know of which fireworks show in the northern part of the bay would be worth seeing on the 4th? I wanted to go to North East on the 3rd, but my wife's is performing at Jellyfish Joel's all day. Feel free to stop by and say hi to me. I'll be running sound. They finish at 8:30pm which does not give me enough time to pack up all my sound gear and get to my boat.

I was thinking about hitting the Sassafras Marina in Georgetown on the 4th. I have family up there, and if need be, I could crash at their place.

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dan what band is your wife with? im looking watch some fireworks down that way on the 4th too. where would you drop in at?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any good fishing spots in the upper bay besides the flats? A 28 foot cabin cruiser doesn't do well over there...lol

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I used to ski all the time in the area south of Sand Island over to the mouth of Swan creek. Never hit anything hard with the prop, but did stir up some mud when nailing the throttle and not in the channel. It was ususally calm and NOBODY else dared to ski there....I considered it my little secret- even though we were in plain view.

Hey Skargo,
apparently that big little ship is a small cruise ship that does local tours. I took friends out from work to Hart-Miller yesterday and they said these people came in to our restaurant and told them about it, I'll have to get more details and get back to you.

Yeah, it's named "American Spirit" and I watched it come up the HdG channel on Saturday evening while I was on the hook in front of the lighthouse.
Here's the web page about it:
http://www.americancruiselines.com/ships.php?ship_id=14
Prices seem steep IMO....:eek: $11,665 for two weeks in the 'owners suite'???? Geez, you can buy your OWN boat for that kind of coin!
But then again, you'd have to drive it yourself, fix your own meals, and make up your own bunk! :D

Dan19720

Seaman Apprentice

Maxum,

My wife is the lead singer of Excalibur. They usually play at Beachcomber in Charlestown, MD. (Just south west of North East.)

I'm not sure where I will put in at. I may drop in at Del City, but that would be a long ride back in the dark. I may try to find something a little closer.

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dan we will be out to watch some fireworks in the upper chesapeak too. We will leave from de city since thats where im docked. If you choose to drop in at de city you can follow us out and/or back. I make that run pretty regulary in the dark. The canal is a great night cruise.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

Rob, that is 11,000 per person for 2 weeks.

I remember a ship like that in salisbury, but I thought the name was american eagle.
And the funny thing is that it says their ships are built in salisbury.
I think this ship may be based in salisbury on the wicomico river.
can't you take a 3 week cruise for the price of one week in a cheap room on this boat?
the min is 3,000 for 6 days.
but it does sound nice if you have the money to waste

skargo

Banned

No way I'd drop that coin on that ship. You can do an Alaskan cruise cheaper!

Dan19720

Seaman Apprentice

Maxum,

I might have to take you up on that. Or, at least the return trip. We will be kidless all weekend (thanks POP-POP!!) and will probably head downt earlier in the day and stop by my aunts house on the Sasafrass.

On a side note, if I wanted to hit Canal Day, do I just raft up with everyone else, or do I need to pay the inn to park my boat there?

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tube behind sand island almost everyday we are in the bay. At low tide we run south of the island to the first green marker and hang a right into the channel and work our way up to Swan creek, we occasionaly go into Swan creek, but it is shallow in there. At high tide we go a few hundred yards south and cut across to APG. The channel running in front of APG and up towards Hdg is great, we were there last Saturday from 4-530 and I don't remember seeing another boat run through there. Memorial Day weekend there was one other boat pulling a tube. While it is calm, my kids are spoiled with sking on the schuylkill river by us where it is always glass. Arks some day when we catch up, and you have your jon boat maybe you could show me the back way into your marina, it has become a regular stop for ice cream, but when I asked the dock hand about it he said you really have to follow someone the first time.

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dan, we will probably make it an all day event on the 4th too. Let me know your plans and maybe we'll meet up somewhere on the water.

In regards to canal day you can not get a slip at the inn. They auction of the slips every January. You can however go raft up out in the basin. I would recommend getting there Friday at the latest to get an ok spot or get there early Saturday before the cut off boat from entering but finding a spot will be difficult. A few years back my buddy and I tied up our boats on a Wednesday and we were straight out from c dock and there were already 20 some boats tied up when we got there. If you get there Friday you will probably be down closer to the ramp.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Arks some day when we catch up, and you have your jon boat maybe you could show me the back way into your marina, it has become a regular stop for ice cream, but when I asked the dock hand about it he said you really have to follow someone the first time.

Bill-
They added a bunch of new red and green bouys to the back channel early this year. As long as you follow them correctly it's easy to find your way from APG to HdG without going aground. Be careful of fishermen casting from the pier at Swan Harbor Farm.
Last time I was out there, I noticed a couple of the new bouys were already off station, but the seaweed line clearly shows where the deeper water is at the southern end.
And we don't need the jonboat- believe it or not, the back channel has plenty of depth for "Winter Dream". The shallowest area is right at the mouth of Swan Creek, and that's around 3-4'. The HdG end has at least 8'. I ran the route last year to mark it on my fixed-mount GPS.

skargo

Banned

That's it, I'm running that channel once and for all next time out.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

last time i took the power boat thru there, we saw trees on the sides of the channel.
they were prob 5 feet above the water. little saplings.

I couldn't figure out how they grew in the water, even if it was only 1 ft deep.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

last time i took the power boat thru there, we saw trees on the sides of the channel.
they were prob 5 feet above the water. little saplings.

I couldn't figure out how they grew in the water, even if it was only 1 ft deep.

:D:D:D They're not growing. They were stuck in the mud to mark the edge of the channel. I'm thinking one of the bass fishermen did it. Does look a little funny.

Hey! Why not hang some old Xmas ornaments on 'em???
1.gif

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great night for the concert last night. Tied up with a friend and his boat right at Peir 7 and set up the grill. There was a great breeze till it got dark and temp was perfectoh and then a full moon cruise home. Peter Frampton played first and sounded great. Yes was still going strong when we pulled away from the dock. We took a cruise around the harbor and headed back to the ramp.

I highly recomend a evening listening to a concert at Peir 6. We have been there for Kenny Loggins. Earth wind and fire and now Peter Frampton. Cost 15 dollars in fuel. 100.00 in food ( We eat very well) and 100 in ( Drinks ). Not bad for 16 people so far.

skargo

Banned

Who's going out Sunday? Looks like it will be hot. We might head down to Still Pond, or possibly some other destination. My wife has a horse show to go to then we'll be out on the water, hopefully before 1.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Who's going out Sunday?

Not me. I'm in the midst of an intense job and gotta work.
Might have to work next weekend too......but N O T on 7/4!!!!!!!!!!!