Boat Names

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat Names

One of my boats had some leaky rivets so my friends kept calling the "Wet Spot". I havent officially named either of them yet.

One of my lady friends who is a "dancer" has a nice cigarette, and her name is "better when wet". If you saw her, you would agree.

CaptainQuest

Cadet

Saw a couple of good one's...... "Moor often than Knot"

"Tax-Sea-Vasion"

"A Salt Weapon"

"Anchor Management"

"Seas Dot Calm"

Propellerhead

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a pet peeve against uppity boat names that make people look snobby. So I named the O'Day after a line from "Cowboy" by Kid Rock. "I'll buy a yacht with a flag sayin' 'Chillin' The Most,' I'm gonna rock that bi*ch up and down the coast."

7fd5bde6539d86c132596dc03f6ca8a2.jpg

Last edited:

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I have a pet peeve against uppity boat names that make people look snobby. So I named the O'Day after a line from "Cowboy" by Kid Rock. "I'll buy a yacht with a flag sayin' 'Chillin' The Most,' I'm gonna rock that bi*ch up and down the coast."

7fd5bde6539d86c132596dc03f6ca8a2.jpg

Kid rock is awesome! he also has a song about a 40ft donzi!

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

There is a boat at my marina, a Trojan f36, named "ribbed for her pleasure' :laugh:

and also, thought i had settled on my boats new name "the Big dirty", hence my nick here... but recently came up with another, possibly better one.. (given the fact that I like my beer, and I'm single..) "Wasted Seaman"

A rangers delight.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine will be christened OBSESSIVE PROPULSION DISORDER It fits my style of how I do things..it's a play on OCD...look squirrel

Thank you bajaunderground... You just named my boat for me. I couldn't decide what kind of name to consider. It's only a fishing boat and i don't even know if people usually name them, but you picked it. My 10 year old son will get sidetracked and change the subject of what we are talking about in an instant. It has always reminded me of that animated movie by dream works called "Up". During the movie a dog is talking to the main character and sees a squirrel. In mid sentence the dog quits saying what he was saying, turns his head and says "squirrel"! When my son changed the topic suddenly, I say "squirrel"! That has to be my boats' name...
"Squirrel!"

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Thank you bajaunderground... You just named my boat for me. I couldn't decide what kind of name to consider. It's only a fishing boat and i don't even know if people usually name them, but you picked it. My 10 year old son will get sidetracked and change the subject of what we are talking about in an instant. It has always reminded me of that animated movie by dream works called "Up". During the movie a dog is talking to the main character and sees a squirrel. In mid sentence the dog quits saying what he was saying, turns his head and says "squirrel"! When my son changed the topic suddenly, I say "squirrel"! That has to be my boats' name...
"Squirrel!"

Yup, me too...

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

It's going to be CSS Gen R E Lee. Will install the 'Dixie horn' and name over the winter. With the name will be the "Stars & Bars". Nice and big on both sides.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's going to be CSS Gen R E Lee. Will install the 'Dixie horn' and name over the winter. With the name will be the "Stars & Bars". Nice and big on both sides.

Followed by pictures hopefully. Good call though, can't have the name without the horn, stars and the bars.

Chris

Shepest

Cadet

Is it legal/allowed/kosher to re-name a boat? Is there anything you “have to do” to name a boat in the first place? Do you have to file the name with someone?

dwco5051

Commander

Is it legal/allowed/kosher to re-name a boat? Is there anything you “have to do” to name a boat in the first place? Do you have to file the name with someone?

Unless it is a documented vessel (over 5 tons and registered with the USCG) you can do what ever you want when it comes to naming a boat. Your state registration numbers are the only identification needed. However there is an old superstition that renaming a boat is bad luck.

Shepest

Cadet

I know traditionally boat genders are always feminine, but are there any boat names out there that are masculine? I’ve come up with a couple that are more male than female…… But I do like the generic “Plan B”.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have always heard (and done) this; If you are going to re name your boat, you must first put/write the current name on the inside of the transom somewhere, so it will always stay with the boat. Then you are free to put 'your' name on the hull... It's worked well for me a few times now, and several friends.. and everyone is still above the water line. :laugh:

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://forums.iboats.com/stupid-hum...-fishing/boat-names-37803-14.html#post4292825
The way to beat the old superstition is to have this ceremony. I got lucky when I bought my boats used as none of the POs had named her so I didn't feel as I had to do it. I did portions of it anyway. The link above links to the ceremony procedures, its actually quite entertaining, my kids enjoyed doing because I told them now the boat is ours and this ceremony makes it ours (aside from my name on the title).

Chris

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

My wife and I are watching Dexter on netflix and have 3 episodes left in the series, if we like the way it ends we're going to name our boat "Slice of Life". It's a red boat so kind of fits.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I know traditionally boat genders are always feminine, but are there any boat names out there that are masculine? I?ve come up with a couple that are more male than female?? But I do like the generic ?Plan B?.

my 18 ft center console was named reel skills, never met a girl like that unless she had a haircut as short as mine.

Last edited: