Baseball rules trivia

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
What is the rule on the designated hitter in the world series?<br /><br />Is a DH allowed in all the games, or only allowed in the AL home games?<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Baseball rules trivia

Cool, lets test everyones baseball knowledge.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

A high popup is hit 5 rows back in the stands near first base. The first baseman jumps into the stands runs up the steps and catches the ball. Is the runner out?<br /><br />Ken

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

No ..<br /><br />.. because while the first baseman was standing in the 5th row waiting for the ball to come down he slammed 3 $8 beers and choked down a $4 hotdog in 2 bites.<br /><br />- 1st baseman is ejected for substance abuse.<br /><br />- foul ball is calculated as a strike.<br /><br /> :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It would take a firstbaseman's salary to pull off that feat.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Another one:<br /><br />Man on first base. A popfly is hit in between first and second. Secondbaseman stands in the baseline to catch the popup. Guy running to second plows into the secondbaseman, causing him to miss the popup. What is the correct ruling on the field.<br /><br />Ken

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

My guesses:<br />First one the batter is out. No different than when a player reaches over the fence or into the dugout to catch a foul. Unless there is a rule about a player leaving the field of play.<br /><br />Second one the runner has the right to the basepath. The batter and the runner would be safe if not tagged after the ball hit the ground.

gaugeguy

Captain

Why is the guy on first running on a pop-up? :rolleyes: Both guys are out ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

AL games only, Sox have the HFA from the AllStar game. The Sox will prevail.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Why is the guy on first running on a pop-up? :rolleyes: Both guys are out ;)
Sorry, I forgot to add there was already two outs when the guy hit the popup.<br /><br />Ken

gaugeguy

Captain

In that case fielder interference is called on the runner, he is out, inning over. :)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

The runner has the right to the base path, except if the the fielder is in the act of fielding the ball or making a play.<br />In this case the runner is out because of interference to the fielder.<br />Now if the fielder dropped the ball on his own & didn't move out of the way of the runner & someone else picked up the ball & tagged the runner, the runner would most likely be safe because of obstruction.<br /> On the first question I think he is NOT out. A player is allowed to jump over a rail or wall to catch a ball, but I don't think running up the steps is allowed.

aspeck

Staff member

Infield fly rule in effect, the batter is out and the inning is over.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> Infield fly rule in effect, the batter is out and the inning is over.
No infield fly with 2 outs. ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Complicated as the Federal Tax Code.<br /><br />Always seems to be room for a "Yabut!".

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

1. Batter is out - the ball is in play until it hits the ground or some stationary object or a fan or beer vendor or something in foul territory. <br /><br />2. Interference, runner is out. The runner has to make way for the fielder making a play on the ball.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Always seems to be room for a "Yabut!".
If you look at the "interference" section of the baseball rule book, it says pretty much the same thing...it's a "judgement call" :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Mind if I throw out a couple questions?<br /><br />1. Popup to pitcher, because of confusion among the infielders, hits the pitching rubber and bounces into the on deck circle. Infield fly rule is not in effect. What's the call?<br /><br />2. Long fly ball to right field, Canseco chases it to the wall...it hits Jose in the head and bounces over. Whats the call?<br />(this actually happened in my hometown)

aspeck

Staff member

GG, I stand corrected.