Attn Ezmobee!! I mean CoolBikeGuy!!!!!

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Attn Ezmobee!! I mean CoolBikeGuy!!!!!

Glad you got it home.

If he never had a title (which he very well may not have. I don't have a title for mine) then he shouldn't bother. You should just go to Fish & Boat and tell them you want to get it registered and they'll help you out. Titleing is optional before a certain year (and that year is like 95 or something)

he already took care of sending for a new one today. he called around 4 and said he took care of it and should only be 2 weeks and to please come get it out of the yard ....i guess i can wait ..lol. he gave me the receipt that shows he took care of it and i have the trailer title. that trailer pulls really nice its just sooooo HEAVY. oh yea .... you didnt give me heads up on the wasps that called the engine cover home. i grabbed it and was gonna throw it in the van and saw all these wasps flying around all of a sudden ...lol no stings and i got rid of them but jason took off like a bolt of lightning ... liz said he allergic ... lol. ill catch up with you guys tomorrow. :D

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

well, for that price if it runs half way decent i would say go for it. does that chrysler have power tilt?

nope no power tilt on the old hemi ( just kidding about the hemi ) lol

Rickairmedic

Commander

Scott for a grand if that Merc runs good its well worth it . I dont think they were rated at the prop yet in 79 so you should be ok there.

Rick

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

Scott for a grand if that Merc runs good its well worth it . I dont think they were rated at the prop yet in 79 so you should be ok there.

Rick

even if it was prop rated .... how much diff in hp would it be ? less than 10 hp id guess ?? if it was prop rated at 150 would it be to much motor for the boat ? and that motor being a v6 with the power trim... is there gonna be a weight issue there ? ( to heavy to hang on the back )

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

if i call the guy about the motor what should i ask him ? should it be able to start on a stand ( its off the boat ) ?

id post the c/l add for you to see it but im not sure how to post a c/l link

EZ .... how far are you from littlestown ??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

if i call the guy about the motor what should i ask him ? should it be able to start on a stand ( its off the boat ) ?

id post the c/l add for you to see it but im not sure how to post a c/l link

EZ .... how far are you from littlestown ??

He should be able to start it on the stand. And for $1000 I'd want to see it run and probably do a compression test and drain some oil from the lower to make sure it isn't milky. You can just copy/paste the CL link.

I'm a little north of York so I'm probably 45 minutes at least from Littlestown.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hah, you don't want me looking at a Merc. I'm a JohnnyRude guy through and through :)

I'd bet money it's just the date not set on the cam. Looks like he still has the controls hooked up to it so it SHOULD be just a matter of hooking up a battery and a water supply and firing it up.

Andy in NY

Commander

you definatly dont want to buy without hearing run like jeremy said. what would be even better is if he could put it on his boat and take you for a ride. might be worth your while to throw the guy $50 to put it on and take you for a spin, and if it doesnt pan out he gives you the 50 back, if it does you let him keep it.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Scott I would not buy any motor with out hearing it run. Ideally you should do a compression test, a spark test and check the lube in the lower unit.

I checked all of this on the last outboard I bought and still had to do a complete tear down to address an overheat problem, that is why I now run an I/O. IMHO the I/O?s are easier to work on, I?ve been working on automotive stuff for a long time.

Also on a side note, I?m not bashing Mercury but if I was going to buy an outboard it would be a Johnny Rude. Here is why Merck?s do not have a removable head, so if you need any cylinder work done you will need to find a shop willing to work on it. The problem is when machining they are working with a blind hole, not every shop is willing to work on them. Johnny Rude?s on the other hand will completely disassemble so machining is easier, so more shops are capable and willing to work on them. Also parts are readily available for the Johnny Rude outboards.

Jeff.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

BTW congrats on you?re SS, welcome to the club.

Jeff.

Andy in NY

Commander

Scott I would not buy any motor with out hearing it run. Ideally you should do a compression test, a spark test and check the lube in the lower unit.

I checked all of this on the last outboard I bought and still had to do a complete tear down to address an overheat problem, that is why I now run an I/O. IMHO the I/O?s are easier to work on, I?ve been working on automotive stuff for a long time.

Also on a side note, I?m not bashing Mercury but if I was going to buy an outboard it would be a Johnny Rude. Here is why Merck?s do not have a removable head, so if you need any cylinder work done you will need to find a shop willing to work on it. The problem is when machining they are working with a blind hole, not every shop is willing to work on them. Johnny Rude?s on the other hand will completely disassemble so machining is easier, so more shops are capable and willing to work on them. Also parts are readily available for the Johnny Rude outboards.

Jeff.

that shouldnt be the sole reason for not going with a merc though. IMO i love mercs. i also am a fan of johhnyrudes. they each have their ups and downs. i would recommend a johnnyrude, but certainly wouldnt shy someone away from a merc.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Andy didn?t mean to turn him away from Mercury?s, just trying to inform him of the differences between the two. I had no idea prior to owning the Mercury that there was any difference between the two.
I loved my 1986 50 hp Mercury it had more power than my 50 hp Evinrude, though the Mercury did have three cylinders V/S two on the Rude.

And what is wrong with an I/O? I?m asking because I might not be thinking correctly about my personal preference.

Jeff.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the info guys. im happy i found an outboard ... thats what i wanted. looks like it might be a PITA boarding after swimming the way that whole goofy rear set up is.

EZ i climbed in her last night and that floor is shot ..lol really spongy in places and felt a couple that i think i could easily put a foot through.

my daughter is home so shes gonna help take some pics of it in the daylight and ill post them later today or this eve.

Andy in NY

Commander

And I sure wouldn't steer anyone TO an I/O. DEAR GOD NO!

no, i wouldnt either.

EZ didn?t mean to turn him away from Mercury?s, just trying to inform him of the differences between the two. I had no idea prior to owning the Mercury that there was any difference between the two.
I loved my 1986 50 hp Mercury it had more power than my 50 hp Evinrude, though the Mercury did have three cylinders V/S two on the Rude.

And what is wrong with an I/O? I?m asking because I might not be thinking correctly about my personal preference.

Jeff.

there are several reasons IMO. first is the ease of repairing the boat itself. if the transom has to be replaced in an I/O its a MAJOR project. on ab OB, call a buddie over and have the motor off in 10 min.

outboards done have things like gimbals, bellows, etc to fail. biggest +1 for an ob is no exaust manifolds. those puppies are expensive if you ever have to replace one!

thanks for the info guys. im happy i found an outboard ... thats what i wanted. looks like it might be a PITA boarding after swimming the way that whole goofy rear set up is.

EZ i climbed in her last night and that floor is shot ..lol really spongy in places and felt a couple that i think i could easily put a foot through.

my daughter is home so shes gonna help take some pics of it in the daylight and ill post them later today or this eve.

with any boat like this, automaticly plan on replacing the deck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

EZ didn?t mean to turn him away from Mercury?s, just trying to inform him of the differences between the two. I had no idea prior to owning the Mercury that there was any difference between the two.

Jeff.

I just typed a whole long response to this but realized it was pretty well retarded and decided not to post it.

I meant my comment mainly in jest. Outboards are just my preference. From what I've seen on this board I/O's have too many issues with the drives, bellows, trim units, and especially the shifting mechanisms. It just seems to me that if there are two old boats sitting in someone's yard that haven't been used in 5 years and one is and outboard, and one is an I/O....I have a better chance with the outboard to be able to just hook up a new battery and some gas and have it run and get out on the water. On the engines themselves though, I can easily see why many might prefer an I/O. God knows if you compare a 4.3 V6 with a single carb to a 6 cylinder outboard which would have like 3-6 carbs on it you'll get no argument from me that the I/O motor is simpler to work on. It's the rest of the package I'm not a fan of.

Likewise I (perhaps incorrectly) have always regarded Mercury outboards as more complicated than OMCs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not really too surprising given the quality of all the other "workmanship" in that boat :) At least they didn't seem to mess with any of the metal bits.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Andy all good points, and something to ponder I hope to only need to repair the transom once and forget it.

I haven?t checked my transom thoroughly as of yet but I do plan on switching power plants and outdrive anyway, so not such a big issue for me. But like I said good points for someone else to consider when deciding on which type of boat to purchase.

Jeff.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

EZ, no worries I was just wondering. I agree about the bellows and such, but you just wouldn?t believe the bad luck I?ve had with outboards.

Jeff.