Arkansas Get Together

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Arkansas Get Together

Well Riverside was the place I wanted to go because you had mentioned them to me in a previous thread, but to my surprise... they aren't open on Saturdays. So Art's won out... due to it being Saturday, both shops were sitting at two weeks... Ohhh and if ya every hear of anyone needing work on an Evinrude.... the shop guy at Art's, when he was working on my primer solenoid a couple of weeks ago, said the best Evinrude mechanic is at Degray One Stop & Marine, in Bismarck

Yeah, no Saturday hours is a pain, but Riverside opens really early (5:30 I think), so when my rig is sick I just hook her up when I'm leaving for work one morning and make a detour. They do a lot (maybe all?) the reman work for Bombardier powerheads. Their shop is really cool.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, no Saturday hours is a pain, but Riverside opens really early (5:30 I think), so when my rig is sick I just hook her up when I'm leaving for work one morning and make a detour. They do a lot (maybe all?) the reman work for Bombardier powerheads. Their shop is really cool.

Wow! I'll have to keep that in mind... Thanks incoop!

Piece715

John actually asked me the other day if I ever found out when you guys were planning this. He may actually be thinking of making the trip. I will give him the dates tomorrow. Would be lots of fun!!

Hey Lorie, I see you're from Louisville... Transplant or true blue blood? I was raised in Paducah but unfortunately I have a lil red in the blood now... Gotta support them Hogs, but on occasion you'll hear me screamin go Cats!... I remember the first day Paducah made the weather channel map... Big day :D... Then they painted the murals on the flood walls... and its been growing ever since. Crazy how much its grown...

ninjamatt

Seaman Apprentice

cool i would be down. when i went to hamilton memorial day, I learned that hot chicks are easy to pick up there especially if you have a fast boat as my buddy does. I can only imagine how it would be if I had a cool boat. I might call a guy about a 98 crownline this weekend. He wants 9700. Does anyone know how I can get financing on a boat that old with 50% down?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

cool i would be down. when i went to hamilton memorial day, I learned that hot chicks are easy to pick up there especially if you have a fast boat as my buddy does. I can only imagine how it would be if I had a cool boat. I might call a guy about a 98 crownline this weekend. He wants 9700. Does anyone know how I can get financing on a boat that old with 50% down?

Whoa, slow down there big guy. I don't want to get into your business, but I will.:p There's a big difference between fiberglass boats, especially ones that are fifteen years old, and crotch rockets. There's a LOT that could be wrong with that boat that you'd never notice until the first trip to the lake. If you're even remotely serious about this boat (or any other) you need to start a thread over in Boat Topics and Questions and let the guys help you sort it out. If you don't know what you're doing (and even some times if you do) a used boat can quickly empty your wallet or even put you and your passengers in danger. As for financing, your best bet would probably be an unsecured personal loan, but I won't get into that.

Lorie

Cadet

Hey Lorie, I see you're from Louisville... Transplant or true blue blood? I was raised in Paducah but unfortunately I have a lil red in the blood now... Gotta support them Hogs, but on occasion you'll hear me screamin go Cats!... I remember the first day Paducah made the weather channel map... Big day :D... Then they painted the murals on the flood walls... and its been growing ever since. Crazy how much its grown...

We moved here 13 years ago. LOVE it! We actually got our boat in Paducah. And our daughter has spent many a summer boating there with friends. It is gorgeous there. We are totally a Wildcat family, even though our daughter works at UofL. ha Have to like UofL a little for giving my kid a job after college.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Now wait a minute, this is an ARKANSAS get together!:p It occurs to me I haven't really addressed lodging. I'll most likely be camping on an island cause that's what I like to do, but there are several options.

Brady Mountain http://bradymtn.com/ has everything from guest rooms to cabins to camp sites. I don't have any epxerience with them, but they're well regarded. They have a marina and I'm sure can provide you with a transient slip, but you'll have to confirm that with them.

Shangri La http://www.shangrilaresortar.com/main.html is more of an old school lake resort. Those of you who've been around long enough know what I mean by that, but for those of you who don't, it's clean and comfortable but absolutely nothing fancy, basically a place to sleep when you're not on the water. They have a great little home cooking type restaurant with very friendly service and some of the best pie in the universe. Scoyt has already agreed to bring a couple to my island hideaway, although he's advised me he can't guarantee they'll arrive wholly intact.:D They can meet your marina needs as well. Don't think they have any camping facilities.

Mountain Harbor http://www.mountainharborresort.com/ has several lodging options. I've stayed there before. It's been a while, but as I recall it was really nice. I believe there's even a spa if that tickles your fancy. Last time I went in for a massage they thought I was a Yeti and ran me off, but I don't hold a grudge.:p It's probably the fanciest of the lake Ouachita resorts.

Echo Canyon http://www.echocanyonresortandmarina.com/ is the reincarnation of a resort formerly called Spillway. It's located on the Blakely Dam end of the lake. Don't know anything about their lodging, but I can say from personal experience the change of hands is resulting in some serious upgrades. That's where we usually launch. Nice folks.

The state park http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/lakeouachita/cabins/ is also on this end of the lake. I'd be shocked if they have anything available, but one can never tell, especially since we're talking August. I don't know anything about the state park, but if it's anything like the other Arkansas state parks it will be very nice. We have an excellent park system.

There's also Crystal Springs http://www.crystalspringsresort.com/, about which I know absolutely nothing. I'm a big help, huh?

Another one I've never visited. http://www.northshoresresort.com/

I think that's it for the official type lake resorts, but there are other options available if one so chooses. I know there are a few places available on http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/arkansas/lake-ouachita if you'd prefer to rent from an individual, or, you can stay in a hotel in Hot Springs and spend some time in town. That doesn't appeal to me, but that's probably because I only live an hour away. There are several good restaurants in town. Some of them are on the other side of the dam on lake Hamilton, and some of them are downtown. I can recommend a couple of places if anyone is so inclined.

Now that we seem to be zeroing in on a weekend we might as well talk about some other stuff as well. Some have asked whether this will be a family friendly gathering, and the answer is a resounding yes. That doesn't mean we can't have a good time (whatever that means to you), but it does mean we need to be respectful of each other. I know you guys all know that already. Also, I don't have any delusions of our being together the whole time. That's just not possible as the lake is some fifty odd thousand acres. The guys in Florida are pros at this and I think they just plan one or two "official" meet ups during the weekend. That makes a lot of sense to me, but we can talk more about it as it gets closer.

I check in on the thread often, so feel free to post your questions/comments here and I'll do my best to address them in a timely manner. You're also welcome to call me if you'd like. Just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my digits. Rooster, I got yours and I'll do my best to call you this evening.

Piece715

We moved here 13 years ago. LOVE it! We actually got our boat in Paducah. And our daughter has spent many a summer boating there with friends. It is gorgeous there. We are totally a Wildcat family, even though our daughter works at UofL. ha Have to like UofL a little for giving my kid a job after college.

Kentucky was a great place and I do miss it... but Arkansas has maybe come to top it :rolleyes:. Both places are very similar but the outdoors here in Arkansas is tough to beat. As for the U of L thing... no one is perfect, no kiddos here at the moment still looking for the Mrs. to be but I can totally understand loyalty especially when being a proud parent :D so for that I can't fault u! Hope you are able to make it to the get together. Should be fun!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Incoop:

I'm with ya on the camping there incoop! Prob what ill end up doing. What we can do is maybe an initial a.m. meet and greet exchange numbers etc. Then everyone for themselves out on the water to see the site or just anchor and enjoy the company. Meet mid afternoon for a cookout of some sort..... OK ya that's all i got... just throwing some ideas out there.

I have an idea for the meeting up on this large body of water, especially for those that haven't been out here or for the out of towners. If ya have access to a smart phone (iPhone preferable, but any phone with Google maps) then when we decide what island or place to meet; Using Google maps and dropping a pin on your location and then sharing the pin with everyone will allow people to navigate all the coves and turns to ur location pretty easily. This is how my friends and I meet up, just share a pin and head toward it. Now if the meet is gonna be at a camp ground etc. then this isn't necessarily needed. Again just shootin ideas!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

All great ideas piece. Thank you sir.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Jeepers, Incoop, you folks are setting up a really cool get together. The Central Florida party at Fireman431's place turned out some really great folks and good food. Although it was agreed that we should all hold to a "non-disclosure" pact, I will only say that there were grass skirts:eek:

Piece715

Although it was agreed that we should all hold to a "non-disclosure" pact, I will only say that there were grass skirts:eek:

I think Richard is trying to make us jealous incoop! and you know what?! Its working :facepalm: What happens at iboat get togethers stays.... off the forums :rolleyes:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I think Richard is trying to make us jealous incoop! and you know what its working :facepalm: What happens at iboat get togethers stays.... off the forums :rolleyes:

Well, you know one of the chief tenets of the iboats philosophy: Pics or it didn't happen. In this case it might work in their favor.:p I just wanna know if there were any coconuts.:eek:

The Rooster

Ensign

Have we zeroed in on a definite weekend? Looking forward to making reservations. Just once, I'd like the opportunity to go boating in something other than murky, brown water !!!:)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Have we zeroed in on a definite weekend? Looking forward to making reservations. Just once, I'd like the opportunity to go boating in something other than murky, brown water !!!:)

I say we green light 8/10-8/12. Think that works for everyone who's spoken up. Still summer, but late enough to alleviate some of the pressure on lodging and cut down somewhat on water traffic.

Piece715

I say we green light 8/10-8/12. Think that works for everyone who's spoken up. Still summer, but late enough to alleviate some of the pressure on lodging and cut down somewhat on water traffic.

+1 to this... and dont worry for u out-of-towners... it will be PLENTY hot still!

Lorie

Cadet

Sure hope Team Lorie can make it. How cool would that be?

Hahahaha I just read this to John and we died laughing!! I love the name Team Lorie. haha

He is seriously thinking of it. The biggest drawback is we have already planned a trip to Missouri... Table Rock Lake right after Labor Day. That is without any kids. I have a feeling the 18 year old would tag along on this one if we come. It would be his last hoorah before starting college.

We would camp also.. love doing that!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hahahaha I just read this to John and we died laughing!! I love the name Team Lorie. haha

He is seriously thinking of it. The biggest drawback is we have already planned a trip to Missouri... Table Rock Lake right after Labor Day. That is without any kids. I have a feeling the 18 year old would tag along on this one if we come. It would be his last hoorah before starting college.

We would camp also.. love doing that!!

We'll be at Table Rock the week of July fourth. When I was a pup we kept an old Arkansas Traveler in a slip at Cricket Creek marina. I don't know where my dad found the money, because there were three of us kids and he was a preacher and mom was a teacher, but somehow he found enough nickels to rub together to keep the thing in a slip and running. It was old then:p, 1959 model I think. Had a 35 horse Evinrude Lark that weighed more than the boat. We sure had some great times. Any way, sure hope you guys can make it, kids and all. Keep us posted.:cool:

Lorie

Cadet

We'll be at Table Rock the week of July fourth. When I was a pup we kept an old Arkansas Traveler in a slip at Cricket Creek marina. I don't know where my dad found the money, because there were three of us kids and he was a preacher and mom was a teacher, but somehow he found enough nickels to rub together to keep the thing in a slip and running. It was old then:p, 1959 model I think. Had a 35 horse Evinrude Lark that weighed more than the boat. We sure had some great times. Any way, sure hope you guys can make it, kids and all. Keep us posted.:cool:

I love that your Dad did that. It's all about priorities and your dad's family was obviously his!! That is kind of why we bought the boat now. It is one way of keeping the kids spending time with their folks. They bring their friends and we get to stay in touch with what they are getting into. We have always taken them camping, hiking and such. Forced family togetherness ... no electronics. We laugh and joke all the time! I am sure you have great memories of your time on the lake. Will let you know. The picture you attached of the lake with all it's little islands sure was enticing! Beats anything I have seen!!