Are wheel locks the way to go?

matt167

Rear Admiral
I used to use a pin lock for the coupler when hooked to my truck as I bought a new trailer. But then it dawned on me that the draw bar was only pinned in place. Now I lost the key to the lock and just pin it. At the end of the day it’s not going to stop a thief.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I am not worried about home, I have a big barn to store my stuff in, and the barn had a security system that goes off in my house to let me know someone is in there, it allows me to meet them with my friends !!! In our 23 years here, I have had two unwanted visitors that have met my friends......my biggest concern is the parking lot where my tow vehicle and trailer is parked, while I am out on the boat. While my rig may not be perfectly secured, it will cause them enough headache to look elsewhere for easier pickins... I have saw where vehicles close by have had their things taken, like spare tires, draw bars, etc. But so far I have been good, and yes I also have good insurance !!

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Honestly, I think they offer about the same level of security.

You could buy a coupler lock like in post #5 and a couple Oxgord Trailer Wheel Locks (I didn't see them iBoats, but you can get them on Amazon for about $40 each) and be all in for less than $120. Probably more peace of mind than using just one type of lock, and at least it would make a trailer being stolen a bit more conspicuous and likely to be noticed...
I think you may have a good point. Buy locks for the coupler, and two wheel locks at about $40 each, total about $120. Then it would take time and attract attention for the thief(thieves) to defeat all three locking devices. Might be too obvious for them to bother.

I'll probably go with your suggestion.

Or I might buy a leaf wheel lock for about $150 (harder to defeat) plus a $40 wheel lock and $40 coupler lock for a total of $230.

Thanks.

I used to use a pin lock for the coupler when hooked to my truck as I bought a new trailer. But then it dawned on me that the draw bar was only pinned in place. Now I lost the key to the lock and just pin it. At the end of the day it’s not going to stop a thief.
What's a draw bar? As a novice, am not familiar with that term.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
.....my biggest concern is the parking lot where my tow vehicle and trailer is parked, while I am out on the boat.
Same here. What does one do with the boat when returning to the launch ramp and find that the trailer has been stolen?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
had one in town years ago that had the electric winch stolen in the middle of the day. The owners came back and wanted to load the boat, no winch. Others were there that said it was a red truck, two guys got out and unbolted it, the others that were there just thought it was being taken off for repairs. Never saw it again. If they want it, it's gone....

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nobody will question someone working around the hitch coupler, even if they are cutting off a lock. They will assume its the owner. But when someone is cutting off a lock around the wheels, it brings attention to them. Its all about speed when stealing something. Just make it as slow for them as possible. As someone mentioned get a apple air tag and hide it on your trailer/boat. They last over a year and you can track it with your phone. Speed is also your friend. The faster you can find your stuff the better chance you have to recover it. Those snowmobiles maybe recovered this way before the left the state. Nobody said thieves are smart. Just slow them down and give yoyrself the edge.
speaking of which, I need to buy the air tag myself.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

The draw bar - usually a 2" square metal tube - fits into the receiver hitch on your tow vehicle. The draw bar holds the ball onto which the trailer coupler is attached. Draw bars are held in the receiver hitch with a pin, usually 1/2" or so in diameter.

If you're worried about thievery, you can get a locking pin for the draw bar so it cannot be removed from the truck without a key. If you lock the draw bar into the receiver, and then lock the trailer's coupler on the ball mount, it would be more difficult for someone to take your trailer when it sits at the boat ramp while you are out boating.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I think you may have a good point. Buy locks for the coupler, and two wheel locks at about $40 each, total about $120. Then it would take time and attract attention for the thief(thieves) to defeat all three locking devices. Might be too obvious for them to bother.

I'll probably go with your suggestion.

Or I might buy a leaf wheel lock for about $150 (harder to defeat) plus a $40 wheel lock and $40 coupler lock for a total of $230.

Thanks.

The bar that has the ball on it, the bar that slides in and out of your reciever..

airshot

Rear Admiral
Same here. What does one do with the boat when returning to the launch ramp and find that the trailer has been stolen?
Yell, cuss, **** and moan, then call he police, then your insurance co, last but not least....go for another boat ride...might as well.....

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nobody will question someone working around the hitch coupler, even if they are cutting off a lock. They will assume its the owner. But when someone is cutting off a lock around the wheels, it brings attention to them. Its all about speed when stealing something. Just make it as slow for them as possible. As someone mentioned get a apple air tag and hide it on your trailer/boat. They last over a year and you can track it with your phone. Speed is also your friend. The faster you can find your stuff the better chance you have to recover it. Those snowmobiles maybe recovered this way before the left the state. Nobody said thieves are smart. Just slow them down and give yoyrself the edge.
speaking of which, I need to buy the air tag myself.
Nobody question someone cutting off a hitch coupler lock? Yikes, what is this world coming to?

Guess I need to get a Samsung Smart Tag (instead of an air tag) since I have a Samsung phone.

Thanks.

Last edited:

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The draw bar - usually a 2" square metal tube - fits into the receiver hitch on your tow vehicle. The draw bar holds the ball onto which the trailer coupler is attached. Draw bars are held in the receiver hitch with a pin, usually 1/2" or so in diameter.

If you're worried about thievery, you can get a locking pin for the draw bar so it cannot be removed from the truck without a key. If you lock the draw bar into the receiver, and then lock the trailer's coupler on the ball mount, it would be more difficult for someone to take your trailer when it sits at the boat ramp while you are out boating.
Appears that a "draw bar" is the same thing as a "hitch ball mount".

Rather than buy a locking pin for the draw bar, I'm planning to uncouple the trailer from our van and put the draw bar in the boat when boating. One less thing for them to steal. Then, as you said, install a coupler locking device on the trailer.

Plus wheel locks on both tires. Guess keyed nuts for the tire rims would be needed too in case the bad guy(s) bring their own tires.

Whew! .... Thanks.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Appears that a "draw bar" is the same thing as a "hitch ball mount".

Rather than buy a locking pin for the draw bar, I'm planning to uncouple the trailer from our van and put the draw bar in the boat when boating. One less thing for them to steal. Then, as you said, install a coupler locking device on the trailer.

Plus wheel locks on both tires. Guess keyed nuts for the tire rims would be needed too in case the bad guy(s) bring their own tires.

Whew! .... Thanks.

Honestly, that sounds like an incredible pain in the butt everytime you go boating... are trailer thefts that common in your area?

I worry if I need to leave my boat and trailer unattended (and not connected to my truck), but I think a trailer locked to a hitch that is locked to a tow vehicle is fairly protected, especially if you're using wheel locks.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
If there's an option, park on an incline. It seems that would make things more difficult.

briangcc

Commander
Right up until a thief rolls in with a tow truck and grabs the entire rig - tow vehicle and trailer.

Seriously if they want it bad enough, they'll take it.

Best advice - stay away from shady/unused/disused ramps, lock what you can (within reason as you do have to undo anything that immobilizes your rig before you retrieve your boat), and carry good insurance on everything.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes, but look at the quality of the locks, I could probably do that as well. I will put up a hondo if someone can pick my locks in less than 15 seconds !! Wont say it cant be picked, but it will take some serious tools that only a few crooks would carry. If youvwant good quality serious locks, talk to a good locksmith. You wont find my locks at Lowes or Home Despot.....

Baylinerchuck

Commander
We have draw bars on tractors. The hitch can be swung on different angles depending on what you’re pulling along the draw bar. At least that’s what I’ve always called a draw bar. Our Farmall M and H had these built into the tractor, our Ford had an attachment we put on the 3 point hitch. Like this.

B23D9445-CA04-4549-8416-C03D6831EE36.jpeg

For tow vehicles you have a category __ hitch with receiver and an insert where your ball is mounted.