Are wheel locks the way to go?

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems to me that any trailer coupler lock can be easily defeated by the thief bringing his own chain and chaining the the tongue to his vehicle's ball.

Proven Industries and Leaf make wheel locks that go around the leaf spring, through a hole in the tire's rim and secured with a puck lock. Is that a better value of $150 to $200 than a coupler lock?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
coupler locks are $25 for the low end and $200 for the top end

bypassed with a bolt cutter or a cordless grinder with cut-off wheel or liquid nitrogen and a hammer

a paddle lock cable thru your wheel is bypassed with a bolt cutter, a puck lock is bypassed with a shot of nitrogen and a hammer

if a thief wants your stuff, they will get your stuff.

buy the lock you want, for the rest you have insurance.

alldodge

Staff member
Happens everywhere, guys trailer was stolen at KY state park while he was out boating. The harder it is to steal the more it may be left alone

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Happens everywhere, guys trailer was stolen at KY state park while he was out boating. The harder it is to steal the more it may be left alone

Did they steal his truck, too?

I just have a lock that inserts into the coupler (the one linked below, actually) if I'm leaving the trailer unattended. It won't stop someone who really wants to steal it, but it will discourage a more casual thief.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Yep, like anything else....if you're worried, just make yours look harder to steal than the next guy's.
Or, make sure you have good insurance and don't worry at all.
If they really want it, it will be gone.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Any lock can be defeated. I used to get paid to do it. For the thief’s It’s all about the speed of accomplishing their goal.

harringtondav

Commander
I swing my folding trailer tongue back, wrap the safety chains around it and lock them together with a long Master lock. Defeatable, but a little more hassle for the thief.
A friend has the lock that @JASinIL2006 showed in #5 above. This looks good to me.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I’ve heard it said, locks are just to keep the honest people honest. If some goon wants your stuff bad enough, they’ll take it. That said, in my mind the average thief will have bolt cutters and basic tools. A pad lock is easy pickins. Wire rope is harder to get through. Nothing is impossible.

Alumarine

Captain
I’ve heard it said, locks are just to keep the honest people honest. If some goon wants your stuff bad enough, they’ll take it. That said, in my mind the average thief will have bolt cutters and basic tools. A pad lock is easy pickins. Wire rope is harder to get through. Nothing is impossible.
They all have portable grinders with cut off wheels now.
Even bicycle thieves.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thieves will drive up to a boat in a marina parking lot and drive away with it and no-one would bat an eye until they go to look for the boat.

if they want something, they will take it.

I use the same lock as post #5 for both the RV and boat trailer

I use a small lock when connected to the truck.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you want to get it back, there are numerous tiney homing devices on the market. Hide one in your trailer frame, if it gets stolen, easy for the police or your insurance co. to recover it !! Just make yours more difficult to steal, then they will grab the easy one..

briangcc

Commander
I think this really boils down to what are you comfortable with? Because, depending on the ramp, one could...

lock the drawbar to the tow vehicle
lock the trailer coupler to the drawbar
lock the wheels using some sort of wheel lock or heavy chain
chain the trailer frame to a tree or other immovable object

Just remember all those are easily defeated AND something you have to undo before retrieving your boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Some years back a buddy had a snowmobile trailer and two sleds stollen. The trailer has wheel locks, coupler lock and the entire rig was chained to a light pole. The police followed the tire marks over half a mile to an alley where the sleds were cut loose, loaded to another trailer and probably shipped out east from Minnesota. Lock it up but if they are bound and determined to get your stuff - they will.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems to me that any trailer coupler lock can be easily defeated by the thief bringing his own chain and chaining the the tongue to his vehicle's ball.

Proven Industries and Leaf make wheel locks that go around the leaf spring, through a hole in the tire's rim and secured with a puck lock. Is that a better value of $150 to $200 than a coupler lock?
I need to buy a lock for my new boat trailer. Can only afford to buy one lock up to $200 at this time.

Is it correct to assume that any coupler lock can easily be defeated by the thief bringing his own chain and chaining the tongue to his hitch ball?

I'm not looking for whether locks can be cut, drilled or picked as it's obvious that a determined thief with the right tools can overcome any lock. I'm trying to decide whether it makes more sense to buy a wheel lock instead of a coupler lock.

Thanks.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I need to buy a lock for my new boat trailer. Can only afford to buy one lock up to $200 at this time.

Is it correct to assume that any coupler lock can easily be defeated by the thief bringing his own chain and chaining the tongue to his hitch ball?

I'm not looking for whether locks can be cut, drilled or picked as it's obvious that a determined thief with the right tools can overcome any lock. I'm trying to decide whether it makes more sense to buy a wheel lock instead of a coupler lock.

Thanks.

Honestly, I think they offer about the same level of security.

You could buy a coupler lock like in post #5 and a couple Oxgord Trailer Wheel Locks (I didn't see them iBoats, but you can get them on Amazon for about $40 each) and be all in for less than $120. Probably more peace of mind than using just one type of lock, and at least it would make a trailer being stolen a bit more conspicuous and likely to be noticed...

airshot

Rear Admiral
On my rig, the hitch is locked to the tow vehicle, the coupler is locked onto the ball and there is a padlock on the safety chains, this way the insurance company cant say I didnt try. If they want to spend that much time cutting all the locks, go for it, at least the insurance will cover it all...I am also sure there are many others at the ramp that are much easier to take their stuff !!!

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Keyed locks can be picked using 2 paper clips in less than a minute.