AQ125B Engine Swap with a Marinized B230 Auto Engine from 92 Volvo 240

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AQ125B Engine Swap with a Marinized B230 Auto Engine from 92 Volvo 240

Looking really sharp. Don't forget to replace the PDS bearing. Now is the perfect time.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PDS = Primary Drive Shaft?

Thanks for the tip. I definitely want to take care of as many of those "now is the perfect time" items while I'm in here.

Anyone know the best thing for cleaning the bilge? It's mainly oil and general bilge crud (dirt, decomposed leaves, etc).

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before "really" cleaning it for priming/painting, Simple Green works really well, w/o being too harsh on the environment. Soak, brush, rinse. It'll look like new.

BTW, in the photos do I just not see the oil cooler hidden under the manifold, or did you skip on that one?
Engine looks great though nicely painted and "new".

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you know if this is a sealed bearing for the PDS? If not, is it possible to find a sealed bearing for this?

I'm looking at #71 on this diagram which is Volvo Part number 11013.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, in the photos do I just not see the oil cooler hidden under the manifold, or did you skip on that one?
Engine looks great though nicely painted and "new".

Thanks, I'll look for Simple Green!

According to the Volvo AQ125,145/A,B Workshop Manual, the AQ125 doesn't have an oil cooler but the AQ145 does. The references to oil cooler in there say "(AQ145 Only)".

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

True,
When I see you engine, I always think it is a 151, but then only one carb, so I should have known that. It is just looking great though!

Hopefully you can spend some time and be as diligent and clean up the electrical "rat's nest" mess" in bilge. If this far, and in no rush to hit the water, I would also pull the outdrive as well as the transom shield. At least to "clean up" but also to see if the transom's OK (rot). If no rot, glass in the cut out as well as the hole for the bilge drain. Like on mine, it looks they just drilled a hole through the nice glassfiber work, leaving the plywood exposed to moisture (and who does not now and then have water in the bilge).

But, when seeing your engine, just getting motivated to pull mine, for the sole reason of cleaning and painting it (although it looks pretty good and is in no need of it).

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely going to cleanup/redo the electrical in the bilge. I'll have to consider the transom shield removal though. I guess there's no better time, but I don't look forward to the rusty bolts that I'll encounter. :( The six on the clamping ring were a HUGE pain.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

PDS = Primary Drive Shaft?

Thanks for the tip. I definitely want to take care of as many of those "now is the perfect time" items while I'm in here.

Anyone know the best thing for cleaning the bilge? It's mainly oil and general bilge crud (dirt, decomposed leaves, etc).

Yes, the primary driveshaft bearing. Here's a link to another thread and Don has attached the page of the manual that tells how to do it: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=513053

It's one of those things that are relatively easy to do now and can save a ton of expensive headaches later if the bearing does go bad. Don't forget to clean out the grease passage from the top so that it'll be all fresh grease after bearing replacement. Also a good idea to rotate the shaft as you grease it to make sure it's fully packed. Don't know about using a sealed bearing. Haven't heard that discussion before.

Other "while you're at it" items include the water neck fitting on the interediate housing which I see you're removed allready. The u-joints are also a inspect/replace item. Once the outdrive is all put back together, don't forget to do the pressure and vacuum tests. Would hate to see you do all that work only to ruin the outdrive because of bad seals or bearings.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang that motor looks so nice!
So have you figured out what to do with the heat exchanger yet? My waterpump just went out and I'd consider changing over to an automotive WP with a compatible style exchanger like the one in the picture above. Any info in that thing or just a pic?

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dang that motor looks so nice!
So have you figured out what to do with the heat exchanger yet? My waterpump just went out and I'd consider changing over to an automotive WP with a compatible style exchanger like the one in the picture above. Any info in that thing or just a pic?

Seakamp put together the prototype in the pictures. I'm working with them to build me one. If you are interested in buying one as well, PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I am too anxious to get back on the water and ordered up the marine water pump.
I just know that I'll be kicking myself in a year when my heat exchanger develops a leak! :p Oh well, it looks real good right now, I will try to take good care of it.

I tried to get an auto pump to work on my setup, no such luck though. After cutting off the hose connection, capping and filling in the port on the back and then finding that I need to shave down the top water connection to get it mounted, then haveing a custom made adapter made up...it doesn't line up. :facepalm: I guess it was worth the 70 bucks just to know it won't work.
adapter.jpgmotor.jpgalignment.jpg

How long is it going to take to get that exchanger because it looks like you are about ready for it? You could probably even use a remote mounted echanger since you have all hose fittings, and they can be found really cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEAKAMP-MARINE-HEAT-EXCHANGER-SK0609-/200652245572?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2eb7ce4a44#ht_500wt_1182

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How long is it going to take to get that exchanger because it looks like you are about ready for it?

He thought it would take about a week.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The old block went to the curb today (scrappers already got it):

IMG_0282.jpg

The new motor mounts arrived yesterday:

IMG_0281.jpg

I'll be building a wooden structure (in the shop) to mount the engine to so I can work the flywheel side and then run it.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Next up, I'll be wire-wheeling the flywheel cover, starter, and clamping ring -- getting them prepped for paint. I'm also working on the bilge cleaning and rewire.

IMG_0179.jpg

I'm still awaiting delivery of lots of small parts like the PDS bearing, new rotor, o-rings, gaskets, lock rings, snap rings, etc.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Looks like you're coming along good.

I hate to be the wet blanket here though, but that alternator reeks of Autozone or NAPA (automotive) replacement. The label with the gold seal is familiar to me. Usually Delcotron alternators used in a marine environment have shielding on the back. Not seeing it on yours. I would be looking for a marine version of your alternator sir. ;)

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good eye. :) It is an automotive alternator, from the old "marine" engine. I do plan to swap it out, though I'm not entirely sure why it matters (since it's presumably brushless).

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

That does look automotive without any spark arrestor. When I took my volvo alt to the local auto-electric rebuilder, he had 1 wire delco alternators that he had setup with spark arrestors for marine applications. They were only about 160 (IIRC) and easily or cheaply rebuildable too.
You may find a local auto-electric guy doing the same thing or this guy (Burback's auto electric) is way out here in Cali.

Wow, I just googled marine alternator and saw this: http://www.amazon.com/Delco-Marine-Alternator-Mercruiser-3-Wire/dp/B003Q7V2DS

I didn't know it could be so easy...I paid too much.

Here is the 1-wire: http://www.amazon.com/Delco-Marine-Alternator-Mercruiser-1-Wire/dp/B00465PQSG

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I'm not entirely sure why it matters (since it's presumably brushless).

I've been elbows deep in enough Delcotron alternators to tell you with out a doubt that baby's got brushes in her. ;)

If you look in the back of the alternator, you will see a couple of small holes. That's where the paper clip goes through to hold the brushes down while the rotor gets slipped in.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Good eye. :) It is an automotive alternator, from the old "marine" engine. I do plan to swap it out, though I'm not entirely sure why it matters (since it's presumably brushless).
Pretty much impossible.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting, you learn something new every day. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.