Anyone take their firearms aboard their boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just wondering if anyone takes their firearm on their boat... I am a concealed carry permit holder and do carry, but my pistol stays in the truck when boating. Don't figure I need it on the boat... But hey, let me know what you folks do with your firearms. Thanks!

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Anyone take their firearms aboard their boat?

::fires up the popcorn::
popcornsmilie.gif

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice

last couple times I went fishing in Lousiana I was the only guy without a pistol in my tackle box.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Refraction correction makes it harder to get the fish so a full automatic helps...
Besides, those guys on the other side of the lake might actually be pirates...

marioc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My suggestion is to never leave your firearm in any vehicle that you're not physically in. If you're carrying...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Back in the early 80s pirates were very active in the Gulf Stream. They stole boats to use for running contraband, usually dope, but even human cargo.

Carried a Super Blackhawk in the boat then. Never needed it and the salt air and spray ruined it.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Never had any of my pistols/riffles on a boat, but wouldn't have any qualms about doing it if there was a need (not many Somali Pirates on the lake).
Do remember my firearms safety instructor saying he takes his stainless shot gun on his boat and in the shower with him... :eek: :)
He was an odd fella that started the course by pulling no less than 7 concealed pistols out plus 3 cans of OC spray, and laying them on a folding table...

robert graham

Admiral

My wife and I camp on the boat on the St. Johns River in Florida and just feel better out there at night with my 9MM pistol handy. We've never been approached or bothered by people, gators or other wildlife, but we generally camp in very remote areas and the pistol just seems like a good idea, but I leave it in the bag, not just laying out. ;)

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I carry just about everyday, on the water and land. I prefer to take my gun on the boat with me as opposed to leaving it in the truck more to keep it from being stolen than needing it for protection while on the water. I am low key about it and keep it out of sight in a storage cabinet while on board. Alot of times we will camp while boating, I just feel more secure having it with me during those times.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Would rather have it and not need it ,than need it and not have it!
Goes in a Pelican case on board with wallets, jewelry and cell phones :D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Just a word of caution, any corps controlled lake is considered federal property, and its generally not legal to posses any weapon of any sort, loaded or unloaded. State CCW/handgun permits are not honored, but transporting an unloaded gun (not pistol) for hunting purposes during defined seasons that you are licensed for is allowed. Penalties are forfeiture of weapons/boat, huge fine, couple years jail time...

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/employees/cecwon/memos-drill.cfm?Id=789

99% of my boating is on corps lakes/rivers... Yeah, i don't carry!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

One night while I was sleeping tied off to an island I heard some noise on deck and then a raccoon started through the deck hatch right over me.... I wasn't armed so I pointed my finger like a gun and said BANG... worked like a charm.... that little pirate darn near turned inside out trying to get off the boat.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Just a word of caution, any corps controlled lake is considered federal property, and its generally not legal to posses any weapon of any sort, loaded or unloaded. State CCW/handgun permits are not honored, but transporting an unloaded gun (not pistol) for hunting purposes during defined seasons that you are licensed for is allowed. Penalties are forfeiture of weapons/boat, huge fine, couple years jail time...

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/employees/cecwon/memos-drill.cfm?Id=789

99% of my boating is on corps lakes/rivers... Yeah, i don't carry!

Interesting...
Wonder if there is a list of corps controlled lakes somewhere (couldn't find one browsing the site)...
My lake is state owned and managed by state wardens, but if I were to go to another lake and for some reason felt the need to carry, would be nice to know if I could. Suppose if it typed the name of the lake in the search box on the site, it should come up if the Corps has any affiliation with it, right?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Interesting...
Wonder if there is a list of corps controlled lakes somewhere (couldn't find one browsing the site)...
My lake is state owned and managed by state wardens, but if I were to go to another lake and for some reason felt the need to carry, would be nice to know if I could. Suppose if it typed the name of the lake in the search box on the site, it should come up if the Corps has any affiliation with it, right?

oops, the url got shorted somehow... I fixed my first post, they have a map you can click on that shows the corps waterways in your state. (use the link, and then select 'boating') The lakes i'm on are also patrolled by game wardens and local sheriffs in some cases, so that doesn't help you know if its corps or not. (and they are the 3rd and 6th largest freshwater lakes in the US, so not exactly small...)

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

smokingcrater, I take issue with what your saying, but I need to clarify a few points, are you saying that your lakes are owned, operated and governed by the Army Corps of Engineers? are they not State Parks?

It does not matter if the Army Corps of Engineers maintains the Dam and water levels of the lakes they do not make the Law on a State Park lake or River, Here in Colorado the Corps of Engineers maintains all the Dams and Water Levels but they are all State Parks which makes it perfectly Legal to Carry, I would double check your beliefs as you may very well be able to Carry Legally, Another way to check this is that if your waterways you speak of are patrolled by State or County Employees (Warden or Deputies) most likely you can carry but obviously its hard to say not knowing specifically where you are other then "Northern Plains", I would call your Sheriff's Department and ask them depending on how you feel about them, I know here In Douglas County my Sheriff's Department is VERY PROACTIVE in 2nd Amendment rights so I place a lot of faith in their Stance.

I'm not saying your wrong here smoking I'm just saying you should double check, I don't want you jeopardizing you and your families safety or rights based on misinformation.

To the OP YES I carry on the Boat, On the Harley in my Truck and pretty much everywhere except the shower......ok tried that once too, wife wasn't happy at all, Just Sayin....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

smokingcrater, I take issue with what your saying, but I need to clarify a few points, are you saying that your lakes are owned, operated and governed by the Army Corps of Engineers? are they not State Parks?

I'm not saying your wrong here smoking I'm just saying you should double check, I don't want you jeopardizing you and your families safety or rights based on misinformation.

To the OP YES I carry on the Boat, On the Harley in my Truck and pretty much everywhere except the shower......ok tried that once too, wife wasn't happy at all, Just Sayin....

Just to be clear, i'm not advocating this one way or the other. I'm only posting links to the laws that are on the books.

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/states-activity.cfm?State=ND

In particular, I boat on Lake Sakakawea and Lake Oahe. Both very large manmade lakes on the Missouri river system, and are not state parks (although they do have a couple state parks that touch them, but they also have a couple thousand miles of shoreline). Both are patrolled by game wardens/county sheriff's. I've never talked to law enforcement over this issue, and even if your local authority tells you it is legal, it may not be. Little known fact, but law enforcement have no legal requirement to tell you right from wrong, that is considered your responsibility.

But at least according to the letter of the law, it is absolutely illegal to posses a firearm unless you meet the hunting exemption. Local officials may not even be aware of this law, as it is federal, not state, but it doesn't change the legality of it. Also doesn't matter if you talk to 99 game wardens who are fine with it, the one time a rookie fresh out of school who happens to know of this stops you, you are screwed.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I can't get your links to open up so I did some researching and found this directly from COE:

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property

CHAPTER III: CORPS OF ENGINEERS, DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY

PART 327: RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS

327.26 - State and local laws.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this part or by Federal law or regulation, state and local laws and ordinances shall apply on project lands and waters. This includes, but is not limited to, state and local laws and ordinances governing:

(1) Operation and use of motor vehicles, vessels, and aircraft;

(2) Hunting, fishing and trapping;

(3) Use or possession of firearms or other weapons;

(4) Civil disobedience and criminal acts;

(5) Littering, sanitation and pollution; and

(6) Alcohol or other controlled substances.

(b) These state and local laws and ordinances are enforced by those state and local enforcement agencies established and authorized for that purpose.

[65 FR 6903, Feb. 11, 2000]

So through all of this it looks like the COE has decided to let the State decide your rights, seems interesting?

I guess its a State by State thing, why make this a piece of cake when we can make it clear as mud!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Luckally nothing in Maine is on the map... I'm in the clear. :D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I can't speak to Corp lakes, but I know there are restrictions on carrying on other federal facilities regardless of the state's rules. it may be easy to cross into "federal land" such as a wildlife preserve, military range or national park, and not know it.

I agree that leaving a gun in a vehicle at the ramp is a bad idea. better to leave it at home if you don't want it on the boat. A stolen gun is a doubly bad thing.

As a salt water boater I wouldn't routinely carry a gun not made for it. As a duck hunter, my shotguns are exposed to all kinds of salt water effects and it's a constant battle.

I have a permit, but don't "carry" much. But I take many guns in the boat to get from the mainland to an island club where I do a lot of shooting, so having the permit means I don;t have to worry about "details" of what's concealed or not (concealed and in reach, without a permit, can be big trouble.) I often have shotguns for hunting, either in the case or not, depending on what I'm doing at the time. I don't carry a gun for protection on the water, although I could.

We have two urban public ramps in the area where one might want to have a gun, though.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My suggestion is to never leave your firearm in any vehicle that you're not physically in. If you're carrying...

Where would you put it if you came to a business that is posted no cch? Do you personally carry? Its not allowed at my work, since i'm right on the airport... but we all just leave them in the truck. Out of sight of course.

Its good to hear so many people are packing on the water. It makes sense to have it around at all times...thats why you have it, cause you never knew when its gonna be needed. I knew once I posted the thread there would be some people making silly comments as well. They are all appreciated.

Let's not get into a legal battle, but keep the thread going with thoughts and opinions. Thanks fellas...

Status
Not open for further replies.