Anybody have any tips on talking wife into buying boat?

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anybody have any tips on talking wife into buying boat?

moto_0093.jpgIMG_0148.jpgIMG_0145.jpgIMG_0110.jpgmoto_0093.jpgIMG_0148.jpgIMG_0145.jpgIMG_0110.jpgI just told the wife I wanted a boat,looked and shopped for 4-5 months I told her it would be good for the family to do together. She knew not to tell me no, I would get one anyway. I bought it and she loves it.She had never been around boats but I grew up on boats.Our difference is my kids are 7 & 13.My boa is going for sell next weekend to buy the second one.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Well for me the Boat was easy since she wanted one anyway, but when I wanted a Harley I told my wife I either buy a $12,000 Gun or a Harley, her choice?

I love my Harley! but you could try the same rationale for a Boat I think....

The gun is next year I think...

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea here is what u do.. find the boat u want that fits the whole family and is in good shape,
women like newer nicer looking boats ... trust me ... buy the boat then bring it home ... its easier to ask for forgivness than permission.... :D

cr2k

Captain

Diamonds usually work pretty good.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your the head of the household, just tell her your buying a boat. There's no debating it because you said so. Nut up, problem solved.

I have to agree with this one.

About 18 years ago my ex told me to sell my boat at the time and to forget any thoughts about buying a new bike. I came home the next day on a new bike with a hand full of new boat brochures.
She started whining and to make a long story short, the bike and boats stayed, she went.
The way I see it it's my house, my rules, period.
My way or the highway, like it or leave.
(Her replacement never complained once about either my boats or bikes).

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

tips?........

1. look at new boat brochures and start crying.

2. place seat in bath tub .....fill tub, sit on seat....place hands on imaginary steering wheel, and make motor boat sounds.

3. while driving family in car.......turn left and yell ......hard to port !

4. when shopping at local department store....find captains hat and wear it around the store with the tag hanging off the front.

5. open hood on family car look in engine compartment and yell.......thats why it wont float......it has a bole in it.

6.when driving down local freeway.......do the boaters wave at everyone you see.

7. ask your wife to lay on the dining room table like she is suntanning.....jump on the table with an oar and start "rowing"

8. take the covers off your wifes "cosmo" magazines,,,,and staple them to new boat brochures.

9. when talking on the family telephone.....use a pirate voice and language, and exclaim that the person on the other end of the line is the coast guard and they are going to board you !!!

10. have wifes computer set to iboats forums.....she will get "the fever"

Officially ROFLMAO!

Ms. Lagoon

Cadet

Lol, this is hillarious to read. Is your wife more worried about the baby or the fact that if you have a boat more time will be spent on the water rather then at home. You shouldnt have to convince her to "let" you hae a boat. Its about compromise and how you wantto raise your boys. Just tell her she cant get her hair done or buy new clothes. Same thing :)- all of my friends have raised their children around or on the water.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

buying a boat is like a lot of things in life, if you wait until the "right" time to do it, you never will. Like getting married, buying a house, starting a family or having another child, the best and most logical time, when you can most afford it, will never come. Not that one should be stupid about it, but sometimes you have to just jump in.
For the OP, since you already have a 7 year old, time's a wasting. You have missed 4 years of the greatest pleasure. Get on it.

Cincyrunner

Seaman

You need to buy her something expensive like a diamond ring first. Once that's done, it's a lot easier to justify buying a boat, even though the boat is a family toy as opposed to only your toy.

dmalott

Recruit

The 7 year old is at a more teachable stage now and has more time to learn to safely handle and assist in handling a boat now. (the key wording here is safely, the impact being in reducing potential hazard to the new one, him or her self, and any future friends that might be in tow). There is a good chance that they will have hormones getting in the way of rationale at 11 or 12 and also have the complication of trying to impress a frined, sibling, parent, etc, at the older age.

I grew up on water and then waited to get my own boat and have regretted not getting it as soon as we had kids ever since.

BTW,
1. use the boat to teach them to drive, it will teach them to continually look all directions for potential hazards, not just to the obvious traffic lanes, and will make much safer auto drivers of them.
2. If mama is not into playing in the water herself, recognize it and continually let her know that the invitation is open but don't push her to go along. You know how you would feel if she tried to drag you out shopping for shoes or to the opera.

Good luck, Signed, newbie for this post.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I didn't read the entire thread so excuse me if this has already been said.

The quickest way to convince a wife that a new boat is in order is to buy a used boat that needs work. After you present her with the budget for the repairs and the time she'll wait until the boat is ready for the water, she'll gladly help you pick out a new boat.

P.S. It will speed the process along if you go get a real piece of junk boat and park it on the front lawn for a month or so. You gotta get those neighbor opinions too...:)

MilChad

Seaman

I didn't read the entire thread so excuse me if this has already been said.

The quickest way to convince a wife that a new boat is in order is to buy a used boat that needs work. After you present her with the budget for the repairs and the time she'll wait until the boat is ready for the water, she'll gladly help you pick out a new boat.

P.S. It will speed the process along if you go get a real piece of junk boat and park it on the front lawn for a month or so. You gotta get those neighbor opinions too...:)

Good one! No HOA in my 'hood, so that might actually work. Something like this would look real nice in the front yard:

View attachment 109364

crimk

Recruit

The wife in on board with us getting a boat but since we recently had a baby boy (now 4 months old) she wants us to wait until he's 4-5 years old! I've been around boats most of my life and have always wanted to own my own rather than depend on somebody inviting me out. I'm trying the angle "let's have good weekend family time out on the lake rather than in front of the TV". That seems to work, but she can't get past the "he's just a baby" factor. No matter what, it looks like I'm going to have to wait this one out but I'd rather not have to wait as long as she wants me to. Hopefully somebody on here has some success stories with this.

I am a wife to a great man for 34 yrs. he just tonight bought a fourth (4) boat. Remember u only use one at a time.
However, to your question , your wife needs to realize the baby bonding time is a great thing but hubby time is even greater, especially when the kids are grown and gone u two will still be together!!! I had rather have my husband out fishing, working on his boat , or just enjoying a boat ride with or without me, than to have him at a bar drinking, talking to strange women (yes they will be there on the prowl) . So wifey get a life pack up the kids go on the family boat or hire a sitter, this is valuable time while u r young with or without the kids. We are selling one of the boats so we will have one for ocean side , one for bayside, and one for duck hunting.. life is good and God is Great have fun

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

The wife in on board with us getting a boat but since we recently had a baby boy (now 4 months old) she wants us to wait until he's 4-5 years old! I've been around boats most of my life and have always wanted to own my own rather than depend on somebody inviting me out. I'm trying the angle "let's have good weekend family time out on the lake rather than in front of the TV". That seems to work, but she can't get past the "he's just a baby" factor. No matter what, it looks like I'm going to have to wait this one out but I'd rather not have to wait as long as she wants me to. Hopefully somebody on here has some success stories with this.

Lay face down on the bed with your face buried in the pillow and kick your feet. Threaten her that you will hold your breath. LOL Having a boat will be the best investment, and the bonding time is something you cant buy with Mastercard.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot to mention that I already have an almost 7 year old. We went out with friends on the lake last weekend and he had an absolute blast and can't wait to go back. I feel that he's being penalized because of his little brother. I can understand it being a hassle taking a baby on the boat, but waiting until the new one is 4-5 seems a little excessive. I'm not rich, but money isn't really an issue. When the time does come, it would be nice to buy in the fall to save money. It would be hard to buy one just to winterize, but the satisfaction of saving good money will outweigh the desire to get on the water ASAP.

I agree to some extent with Home Cookin regardin the fact that infants can be a bit of a pain on a boat and they can cut trips short.

However. . . then you told us about your 7 year old.

Get a boat NOW! The amount of fun the 7 year old will have on your own boat is priceless. You might have a few days cut short by the little one, but I have 2 kids under 4 and we have a cuddy so we almost never have to pull up short. Put them in the cabin and they can nap the blues away.

Also, remind your wife that in 3 years it is 125% likely that your whole family will get sucked into the insanity that is the Rabid Youth Sports Culture. He'll be playing 127 game baseball seasons, 14 game football seasons (not including the preseason or "spring ball" obviously), and in between he'll be attending training camps and playing in the dreaded "traveling leagues". And after the age of 10 it gets really intensive.

Seriously, this is me talking directly to your wife: The grow up WAAAAAAAAAY too fast. That infant will be 3 the next time you turn around. Don't put off all the fun you can have.

Grouse

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry can't help there. My wife had to convince me to by a boat. Now she wants us to get a bigger one.

Walcott

Seaman

I am a wife to a great man for 34 yrs. he just tonight bought a fourth (4) boat. Remember u only use one at a time.
However, to your question , your wife needs to realize the baby bonding time is a great thing but hubby time is even greater, especially when the kids are grown and gone u two will still be together!!! I had rather have my husband out fishing, working on his boat , or just enjoying a boat ride with or without me, than to have him at a bar drinking, talking to strange women (yes they will be there on the prowl) . So wifey get a life pack up the kids go on the family boat or hire a sitter, this is valuable time while u r young with or without the kids. We are selling one of the boats so we will have one for ocean side , one for bayside, and one for duck hunting.. life is good and God is Great have fun

I have a wife like you. I am a very blessed man.......................To the OP, my baby is 7 months now, she has been on boats since she was 3 months, she does nothing but sleep the entire time, she LOVES it. Good luck to you.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Cunning.....That's what I call it. Last week I decided I need ed a new tach and dwell. My wife said,"what do you need that for"? I said,"because I cant reach the carb screw on the lawnmower and the ends of these leads will help me turn it without getting shocked. That's what the meter does! It tells you if there's any current flowing so the gas doesn't blow up!". Her answer was....Make sure you get a good one that's safe......You gotta love their non mechanical knowlege.

Skiwi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your the head of the household, just tell her your buying a boat. There's no debating it because you said so. Nut up, problem solved.

Spoken just like single, or soon to be single men world wide ;)