trim not working

awthacker

Cadet
I cut out all the wiring to redo it, but now am having trouble understanding what I was dealing with. The trim will go down, but not up. I traced some wires around. From the trim motor's electrical panel inside the motor, I have 5 wires coming out: red w/ white stripe, green w/ white stripe, blue w/ white stripe, white w/ brown stripe, & black w/ brown stripe. I connected the white to the sender terminal on the trim gauge/meter because it appeared to have previously been connected there. The red, green, & blue wires all go to the throttle handle. I presume the red to be +, the green to be "trim up", and blue to be "trim down".

1) Does it sound like these 4 wires are connected properly?

2) Where should I connect the white, brown wire?

awthacker

Cadet
Re: trim not working

Got it guys. Thanks for the help. There was a dislocated pin on a wiring harness. It was the blue pin. I found it by running 12V straight to the blue terminal on the trim electric box. Then I traced back from there and it was the first place I looked. BTW, it's a 1985 Johnson 115.

jhebert

Ensign
Re: trim not working

The BLACK with TAN stripe wire is probably an isolated ground wire for the TRIM gauge circuit. This should be connected, too.

The article linked below shows the general arrangement of the TRIM gauge circuit, and it demonstrates how omitting the isolated ground can cause problems:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002089.html