Add Ohio to Concealed Gun Law

Carphunter

Commander
Re: Add Ohio to Concealed Gun Law

Let me explain why I carry a concealed weapon when I do. If I am by myself, and for some reason have to go somewhere where the threat of violence to me increases, I do not carry. I can run. I can scream. I can fight back. <br />But, as a Husband and a Father, I sometimes feel helpless. If i'm out with my family, I don't know if I could protect them all if a bad situation arose. I don't know how the rest of you are, but when I got married, and decided to have kids, I also made a decision to take care of my family. As drastic as it may sound, I would die for any of them if necessary. I do not feel as though I am doing my duty as a Husband and a Father, if I am not prepared for the possibility of something bad happening. I know the odds of something bad happening is low, but I am sure everyone that had something bad happen to them thought that too.<br /><br />I am not fanatical about it though. The best way to protect yourself from something bad happening, is to not go where the threat exists. I'm not gonna take a liesure stroll through the slums of a major city at 2:00 in the morning, ect.<br /><br />I am prepared when I feel I need to be. Thats all I can do. Could something bad happen to me or my family in a place I don't expect?........sure it could, ...........would I take my family on a vacation to Iraq? NO, but if I had to go there, I would be prepared.<br /><br />Thats the key, be prepared.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Carpy dont get me wrong here as we are proabably closer in our thinking than we are oppisite. You have every right and duty to protect your family and if you feel that in order to do that you need to carry a weapon into the store the most prudent option would proabably be to drive on down the road to the next store. (if guns are not allowed)<br /><br />That aside what I am trying to point out is this (I have no hard facts to back this up just my own opinion). There are many more robberies committed where a gun is involved and not fired than there are robberies etc that the gun gets fired. If you take these ocasins where the gun was not to be fired and introduce another gun odds dramatically increase that at least one of them will get fired. Now if you take into account the fact that there is two people involved the perp and the victim odds are around 50% that the victim of the robbery is now also the victim of a gunshot. And conversly the odds are around 50% that the robbery victim would win and get the perp. 50% odds are not very good as opposed to what your odds are of being robbed without a gun being fired.(once again I do not have the hard #'s here but think they would reflect my point of view)<br /><br />Peace my friend,

Carphunter

Commander

neumanns,<br />So being robbed is ok to you?<br />Any act of serious violence toward me or my family is unacceptable. Robberies could be prevented. Please tell me the number of times that you have heard of people getting killed in a shootout between a robber and his intended victim?<br />I am sorry to say that IMO, you are a victim waiting to happen.<br /><br />Have you known people who have been robbed? I have, and the mental anguish and effect on that person, they say, is similar to a woman being raped. Not something someone should have to experience.<br /><br />You are probably right, the odds will increase that if two people have a gun, one will be fired, and if its me, it will be mine. If for some reason, (and God forbid that this should ever happen), I feel that I have to pull my gun on a fellow human, then it is because I believe that someone is in mortal danger. I would not be waving the gun around, I would be firing.<br /><br />If your willing to take a chance that a desperate robber is going to pull a gun on you and NOT fire the gun, then thats your business. I would ALWAYS assume that if someone pulled a gun on me, then they intended to fire it. (These people are desperate, and have given up all hope, or they wouldn't be robbing you!). I also think your 50% example is not even close. Most crimes, that I have heard of, where multiple guns are involved usually end with nobody getting shot, and the robbery foiled. I don't have numbers either, but I will research it.<br /><br />If gonfishn's store was in a rough neighborhood, then I might avoid it all together. Obviously, if it was in a rough neighborhood, I wouldn't bring my family there either. If its in a place where I don't anticipate any problems, then I would be more than happy to shop there without packing,..........but, I don't like someone telling me that I cannot protect myself or my family while I am there. That is gonfishn's right to do that though, and I would respect his decision by shopping elsewhere.<br /><br />Good discussion neumanns. Sorry if I seem harsh in my post, but its hard to show emotion in my typing. ;)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Carphunter, There is nor ever has been anything in my wallet worth taking another mans life over. Lickwise there is nor ever will be anything in my wallet worth taking my kids father away from them. The honest truth is if someone wants it that bad they can have it, not worth killing over.<br /><br />Yes I do know someone who has been robbed at gunpoint, traumatic yes but sure beats pushing up daisy's. I am glad in your supreme confidence in your ability with a handgun but one simple fact remains, odds are he had his gun out before you go for yours...Just what exactly do you think his response is gonna be when he sees you go for your gun. I know what my reaction would be if I even thought thats what someone was doing.<br /><br />Family...Yes, Money or matierial things No<br /><br />No hard feelings as I can get uptight also but no harm meant, just a livley debate.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

neumanns,<br />I couldn't agree with you more. I have nothing in my wallet or in my truck etc. that's worth even taking the chance. I've never even been close to a situation where I thought that me carrying a gun would come in handy. If I ever get in such a situation, rest assured that I leave that area immediately. Yep, I might get robbed one day. Robber might even get a couple hundred $ worth of stuff. He can have it as long as my family and I are not harmed.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br />
Maw I cain't get the horse to get up.<br />Why son I think he is dead.<br />
I believe you might be right there Bubbakat ;)
Heck ol Billy, I know he's right there KB.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

CCW and where you carry is an interesting topic okay but lets get Ken Brown tell us about walking down a Texas street carring a loaded shotgun. I'd a whole lot rather carry one of those.
You MAY carry a shotgun in plain site almost anywhere you desire, including a bar. Once again, if someone doesn't want you there they can ask you to leave, if you fail to do so then you are trespeassing. Do not try to conceal it in any way, leave it completely in the open. I will try to find the link to this law sometime for you. It is very seldom used anymore due to public mistrust of someone walking around with a shotgun, which we can all understand.<br /><br />EDIT: I still can't find the part allowing a shotgun to be carried into a bar. I posted the parts about carrying it anywhere else a little further down. I guess I would have to say not to, until someone could show law that does allow it. I do remember going over that part of it, but it was 8 years ago so.....

Hooty

Rear Admiral

God Bless Texas. <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Heres some of it:§ 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an <br />offense if he intentionally or knowingly:(8) displays a firearm[0] or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.<br /><br />Heres more:TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH,SAFETY, AND MORALS<br /><br />CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS (5) "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand. (You'll understand why I posted this in a minute) <br />§ 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.<br />Notice no listing of a firearm other than a handgun.

bubbakat

Captain

I carry my big gun because I am scared. "yeah right" I carry mine because I want the upper hand in any situation or as the old saying goes to level the playing field.<br /><br /> Maw this dang horse still won't get up and I have whipped him till it hurts

Greg New Zealand

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The concept of carry guns is totally bizarre and hard for folks downunder to understand. No one here carries guns - not even the police except in emergencies. I've travelled to the States and around the world and it always shocks me when I see police carrying arms. For me the idea that people beside you on the street may have a gun is real scarey. It's amazing how different things are in this world.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I agree it's time to quit trying to motivate this horse and start makin plans for his disposal. The fitting thing to do would be shoot it between the eyes...CAN I BORROW SOMEONES GUN...PLEASE...ANYONE? ;)

Carphunter

Commander

neumanns said,<br />
no hard feelings as I can get uptight also but no harm meant, just a lively debate.
Amen to that. :) <br /><br />I cannot say that I have supreme confidence in my ability with a handgun. Clint Eastwood I am not. But I would do what I could to protect my family. <br /><br />I feel if someone is desperate enough to rob you, then they are probably desperate enough to kill you. I'm not worried about the money in my wallet either, but I would assume that if someone is trying to rob me, then they are brandishing a weapon, and if someone pulls any sort of weapon on me, I have to assume that they are going to try to kill me, or someone in my family. I will do what it takes to prevent that.<br /><br />I personally think that if more people carried, there would be fewer robberies. I watched 20/20 a few years back, and they talked to many robbers and thieves in prison. They asked them what scared them the most about performing their crimes. Everyone of them said, what scared them the most, would be their victim being armed.<br /><br />As long as people stand by and allow themselves to be robbed, then there will be robbers. Some of you guys may think its not worth it, but maybe the next victim of that fella that you "gave" your wallet to is your Daughter, or your Father, or your Wife, and what if this time he decides to kill?<br /><br />I won't take that chance.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

There is something that has not been said here. Isn't it possible this law is to make those people that must carry a gun (which already holds a permit/registration) legal? Many small business owners who make late night deposits do carry a weapon. In the past they have carried them illegally. I feel this is to make those that are law abiding citzens that contibute to employment and social health of a community legal.<br /><br />I know at times when I am called out at 2am to work at a store in a bad neighbor hood does scare the crap out of me. Especially when I'm the only one around. I feel that I justify the need for one, but will keep my 24" pipe wrench instead. Its a whole lot cheaper than getting the permit.<br /><br />Like I said, I think it is to keep our citizens that are am asset to the community legal.<br /><br />Just a another thought.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

You have a point there SS. I use to carry a small 25 cal in my back pocket, when I delivered pizza in a very bad neighborhood long ago. I even had my car shot at once while driving around there.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) What's that pipe wrench going to do aganist a 15round Kloc!!!! :confused: <br /><br />Better yet! what's it going to do aganist the 25 cal.

Carphunter

Commander

Good point Fly Rod.<br /><br />If your gonna protect yourself, you outta do it right.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No Bubba, I ain't gona shoot it cause it's already dead. :p