Add Ohio to Concealed Gun Law

gonfishn

Commander
Re: Add Ohio to Concealed Gun Law

Thanks BubbaKat..Law enforcement officials are exempt from this new law as should be. The person who shows responsibilty when carrying it I am not concerned with..In the Paramedical field we had cowboys who even in non emergencies runs would flip the lights on just to strut there stuff. Its no different than those who walk in with a gun strapped to their hip just to show they can and not use common sense..

Bondo

Staff member

I just Hope that When an Armed Criminal is about to Drop the Hammer on You,<br /><br />There's an Armed Citizen there to Save Your A$$...........<br /><br />Concealed Carry is the Most Effective Crime Control there Is.........

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

By the way-There was a nurse in the Lusby cafeteria shooting that had left her gun in the car because of a no firearms in the establishment rule. I believe she watched her mother die as a result of not being able to defend herself & her family. <br /> <br />In every place CCW has been enacted, the crime rate has gone down and the crimes commited by CCW holders is practically non-existent.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Concealed weapon in Mich. means no one should be able to see your gun. Non intentional sightings are o.k. ie. bending over or reaching for something that temporarly exposes your gun. Wearing your gun exposed is a big no no.<br /><br />If I was a thug, that sign on your bus. whould please me. :) <br /><br />As an honest,responsible potential customer, that sign would cause me to spend my money elsewhere. :( <br /><br />I wish all businesses whould post signs stating their personal/political views. ;)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I see where the sign reduces the liability in the event of an accident. Not too long ago someone with a gun started shooting and a person who had a conceal and carry permit shot back and killed a kid in a church. This issue is almost like abortion where there is no right or wrong. In most states if you are caught with a concealed weapon in a place that bans them it is a 25 dollar fine.

Bondo

Staff member

I've carried since 1982...........<br />One night, a long time ago, Just Unholstering Saved a lot of Blood from being Spilled...............

bobingardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi gonfishn,<br /><br />In my opinion you made what you believe to be the best decision for the saftey of your employees and customers and I commend you for that. While I fully support a person's right to carry a firearm I also support your right to prohibit them in your store if you feel they are likely to cause more harm than good. <br /><br />bob r.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Bigfun can you please show us that law!!!???<br /><br />I could be wrong but concealed in most states means just that "YOU CAN CONCEAL A WEAPON " and it can show if you bend over or do a hand stand... and it isn't against the law.<br />If you didn't have the concealment law then that gun would have to be shown at all times. Exsample: It would have to be on the seat of the car in plain view, not in clove box not under seat not in trunk.<br />I don't understand Gonfishns argruement about concealment. Up until this law I could have walked into his store and still could with a gun strapped in a holster in plain view,hold it in my hand, have it as a shoulder holster in plain view still could have discharged accidently and the bullet hit my kid but I doubt it. Now that it is concealed it becomes an issue. But he posted that guns were not allowed when the concealment law was passed. Why didn't he post the sign back when ever he first owned the store,and that you could still carry a gun in plain view????

bubbakat

Captain

Fly rod I work in law enforcement and the way big fun stated it it was handed down that way to us. So when we see one on someone we don't start pulling weapons to find out what he is doing with that weapon on him.<br /> I know the law is there and I will try to find it and post it but if you have a doubt which it seems from your post you have then look up the ccw laws in that state and read away.<br />And you guys hammering gonfishn about is views on a weapon in is business . I haven't heard him once say don't you carry your gun outside he has only ask it not be brought inside the store. If you are going to down him for doing this you had better stay out of the bank because they don't want you in there with one and no government buildings either ,no hospitals, pharmacies,no convenient stores where they sell alcohol I have un-holstered a weapon longer then most have carried one and have used it on a few occasions but this is not the deal here. gonfishn's decision to not allow one in his store is. So lets lighten up will yea.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) 1st since you are in law enforcement,I have a right to my opinon!!! <br /><br />2nd: When you [pluarl] "Post " in this forum or any other forum it will more then likely be "DEBATED " which we all have a right to as long as we keep it clean and no vulgarity. There is pro and con to everything.<br />We all have differant opinions about issues regardless if it be guns; sex; politics; cars etc:. If you don't want it debated you shouldn't post!!!<br />3rd: If I was going into a store that posted no "food or drink" allowed I would respect that.<br />If I saw a sign saying that "GUNS " weren't allowed, I would respect that. <br /><br />4th: The issue that I see is before the concealment law, there was never a sign posted against guns when the law was only about guns having to be in plain view. "WHAT'S THE DIFFERANCE????? A gun in plain view can do the same damage as a concealed weapon.<br /><br />5th: What I questioned in my last post was Gonfishns statement that if I was carrying concealed and if I bent over to pick something off the ground and you as a law enforcement person saw the gun that I could be arrested even if I'm carrying legally???<br />Give me a break!!!!

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't see a problem with a CWP either (I have one here in Virginia). Lots of people have a CWP. But then, lots of people don't.<br /><br />I have a Taurus .38sp snubnose revolver. I could carry that thing anywhere on me at any time, but do I? No. 99.9999999% of the time, I don't carry. I got the CWP to help preserve my firearm owner rights and to help defend the 2nd Amendment.<br /><br />If I put that little .38 snubby in my pocket on my way to the local range - and DIDN'T have a CWP, I could get busted for "carry concealed".<br /><br />Butch

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Texas has had a conceled weapon law for quite some time. Early on some lawsuits were filed in regard to businesses posting like gonfishn described. I believe that a compromise was worked out according to what the law stated.<br /><br />Anyway (if I haven't confused the situation), I cannot carry my concealed weapon, or any weapon, onto my work premises. In fact, a lot of the signs banning weapons are just that: signs banning all weapons. There are some types of buildings where a licensed CW holder cannot be discriminated against.<br /><br />I do not have a CW license yet. I have been planning to get one, but I have not justified the need based on where my work and life take me. During hunting season I usually have a shotgun and rifle with me at all times. But, I'll tell you what, it is great knowing that there are all of these licensed CW out there. Very few drive by shootings, etc.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I'm the same as Bubbakat. I wear a badge and carry quite a bit. I very seldom strap it on when off duty but it is always in easy access if the need arises. I don't agree with a business circumventing the law by not allowing a person to carry. On the same token I am a firm believer in the "We refuse the right to service anyone we choose" adage. I would still shop in his business, without my gun. Here in Texas the sign is basicly meaningless to law enforcement. If I wanted to I could carry into the store regardless of what he had posted. However I would respect his wishes unless I was in uniform, and I would only be there as part of my job duties, whereas I would be expected to have a gun on.<br /><br /> Did any of that make since?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

gonfishn is my friend and I would not bust his chops for anything, but one question that someone brought up sticks in my mind.<br /><br />If you do not want guns in your business, and that is your right, why wait till this law came about to post a sign?<br /><br />Why not post it when you got the store if that is how you felt?<br /><br />Just wondering ol buddy.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I think he means he "reserves" the right to refuse anyone he chooses. <br /><br />
I don't agree with a business circumventing the law by not allowing a person to carry.
Not ALLOWING a person to carry a firearm onto private property? Excuse me, if you are not welcome on private property, you are TRESPASSING. I don't care if you're in uniform or not! <br />
If I wanted to I could carry into the store regardless of what he had posted.
I don't think so! Not in Texas and not in any other state either. He has a sign posted that tells you "Guns not allowed". This means you.

FLATHEAD

Captain

I have had my permit for 20 years. I rarely carry. For one thing that is all you can think about when the gun is on you, for another thing the chances that you will need deadly force to protect yourself is slim to none, I know for sure I dont want to have to drop the hammer on anybody. <br /><br />Getting back to the subject. I say this with the upmost respect to gonsishn and what he see's fit for his store. If I had a gun on me and went into Gonfishn's store he would never know I had it nor would anybody else. Isnt that what conceled carry is all about?? I would venture to guess that 99% of those that carry use enough discretion to carry a firearm and be able to go about their buisness with no one knowing one way or the other. <br /><br />My thinking is that if I had to expose the gun for anyone to see to put it in my glove box or whatever before I went into the store is more of a problem than anything.<br /><br />What would be the penalty if you did get caught in the store with the gun?

gonfishn

Commander

Thanks for not burying me so deep that I can't get out here...You must understand that I am part of a very large National Retail Corp..This was put in place for all to follow..Descretion on how we handle is in my hands...I am all for the right to bear arms..I again say that I am not worried about those who are responsible.. But there are some out there who will want the whole world know that they have a gun and strut their stuff and its those I will confront..

18rabbit

Captain

Here’s one for you… I live in a city. A major city. If I want to walk over to the local gun club, the appropriate way to carry a handgun is to strap it to my leg. If I also want to take a rifle, I throw it over my shoulder and start walking. Both must be unloaded. Them’s the laws in California, Sparky. Although it’s the law, I wonder the wisdom in attempting either.<br /><br />I got into it with the State’s Atty General’s office some years ago about how to properly transport firearms on a bicycle. :) A bicycle is a vehicle but all weapons must be locked in a compartment separate from the operator and out of sight… They said to just forget it…strap the gun on and go. No way!!!<br /><br />I used to have an FFL until the laws started changing so fast. I didn’t renew it…didn’t want to be a part of it all. California now has the strictest gun control laws in the land. One little quirk in the waiting period is that the seller may give the firearm to the buyer anytime BEFORE the waiting period has expired so that the buyer can “test” the gun, but the gun must be returned to the seller after the test. The mandatory waiting period conflicts with the State’s consumer protection laws regarding the return of defective merchandise. This quirk negates the whole purpose (as we were told) of a waiting period. Fwiw, the folks in management at Calif Atty Gen’s office are of the opinion most gun control laws are misguided political B$. But they carry on with the “it’s my job” attitude.<br /><br />EDIT: that “quirk” was there in the mid-90’s. Don’t know if it is still valid today.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

gonfishn,<br />I respect your decision. I think the sign is indeed a welcome mat for crime. I have a CCW in the state of Florida. I am getting ready to renew for the fourth time. If you are worried about an accidental discharge, don't. Most all accidental discharges are caused by folks that were doing things that they shouldn't have been doing. <br />You would realy hate my carry arrangement, 45 ACP cocked and locked in a slip holster on the hip. No strap. I carry very rarely. And NEVER in your store. I promise. :D :D