AAA type service that will also tow the boat home?

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone recommend a service that will tow my truck and boat home if I suffer a breakdown?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: AAA type service that will also tow the boat home?

Ayuh,.... Donno's there Is such a service...

UncleWillie

Captain

You may need two tow trucks.
One for the Boat and one for the Truck.

A 26 foot boat on a 30 ft trailer behind a 20 foot truck is ~50 feet long.
Add another 20 foot tow truck in front of both of them and you are over the 65Ft Max length in many states.
And its becomes a double tow operation on top of that!

Your dimensions will vary!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I had a vehicle breakdown 2 years ago while hauling a boat. Here's what I learned.
AAA will tow a trailer behind a flatbed, but it's not part of their membership service. In other words, you'd pay them extra to haul the boat, even if you've got a gold membership.
In my case, I was able to arrange to keep the trailer in a parking lot overnight.

matt167

Captain

My dads truck quit at a gas pump years ago ( '97 F-150 with the battery cable problem that was common ). He had to pay the tow truck driver a little extra for them to tow the boat across the street into a vacant lot. AAA would not pay for the tow home with the boat in tow. We had to borrow my grandfathers '88 F-150 and go grab the boat. When we got there, we noted that the light hookup on the truck was not a 4 blade connector, so we had to book it home before it got dark cause there was no trailer lights.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think you can add this kind of coverage to most boat insurance policies.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Short answer is some boat towing insurance extends to the trailer but read the details to be sure.

I have AAA and when my car broke down, they would not send someone to "tow" both. First, I don't think anyone, legally or sensibly, would tow a car while it's hooked to a boat (three unit road train). I wanted to put the car on the rollback and the boat on the trailer hitch of the roll back. No doing.

But if you think about it, what roll-backs have a rear bumper, much less a hitch, at boat trailer level?

So I was faced with hiring the tow truck for two trips--one for the car and come back for the boat--the car being covered and the boat being my cost. I was doing a 50 mile tow including across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, so that would have been big bucks.

So I just did what every good boy in trouble does--called my mom to come get me!

(OK I sent the car home on the rollback; she came in the stawag and, even though she's pulled plenty of boats, I drove it, us and the boat home).

In a similar situation (I'm not saying "next time" out loud, and she is "no longer available") I'd pay the tow truck to take the boat a short distance to safe storage then come back and haul the car. That or prevail on a friend or relation to come with a second vehicle. Another reason to be nice to people.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

My State Farm Boat policy pays up to $500. for towing the boat and trailer from a site of breakdown.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

AAA RV Plus membership covers the trailer also, and will cover 2 tow trucks and drivers, up to 100 miles if needed. It cost $30 extra, so $85 total.

Or at least thats what they told me when they sold it to me.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

i have seatow.... and i am betting they have a feature or plan that includes that...( dont know for sure) but I have them for three years now, and they are always pro active, and for $150, it is great piece of mind, especially if you are a winter boater, like I am.

bob

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately, we can't get seatow on the lakes I boat at in the middle of Kansas.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

cecho, If you are a member of BoatUS $24 per year you can add "trailer assist" to your membership for $14 per year and they will tow your truck and boat home 24/7 should you have a problem. Can't beat the price. Here is the link:

BoatUS - General Membership Information

JoLin

Vice Admiral

cecho, If you are a member of BoatUS $24 per year you can add "trailer assist" to your membership for $14 per year and they will tow your truck and boat home 24/7 should you have a problem. Can't beat the price. Here is the link:

Almost, tazrig...

BoatUS: Towing Services : Trailering About

I have the unlimited trailer assist. They'll tow your boat, trailer and vehicle up to 100 miles.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BoatUS - General Membership Information

Sometimes it doesn't pay to live in Florida!

Unlimited Freshwater Towing – $43.00 – BoatUS pays the bill within a towing service area for tows in fresh water. This is for all inland lakes and rivers, and the Great Lakes, but not applicable in Florida. Provides 100% payment for a tow at sea to your home dock or repair facility. 100% for a tow from a restricted use dock to your home dock or repair facility. 50% payment for a tow from your home dock or mooring to a repair facility.

Unlimited Saltwater and Freshwater Towing – $125.00 – BoatUS pays the bill within a towing service area. This is for both coastal and inland boaters, and all of Florida. Provides 100% payment for a tow at sea to your home dock or repair facility. 100% for a tow from a restricted use dock to your home dock or repair facility. 50% payment for a tow from your home dock or mooring to a repair facility.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unfortunately, we can't get seatow on the lakes I boat at in the middle of Kansas.

Where you located in Kansas? And where do you boat? We are in Wichita and usually boat at Cheney and Eldorado.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live near Wichita. I prefer to boat at Cheney, but looks like I'll be boating at El Dorado this year unless the rains come.