A WalMart gripe...grrrrrrrrr

spratt

Lieutenant
Back when the WalMart in our town opened, a few years back, the manager, Kevin, was a friend of mine and actually even was a member of our church, along with his nice wife. The rules were very slack then, and if you found an item in a competing store, you just went in adn told the Customer Service department, and they would BEAT that price. No, it wasn't done just that way for me and Kevin's friends. anyone who shopped there got the benefit!!<br /><br />Eventually, Kevin was relocated so as to further his career. A new manager came in, and he was also a pretty nice guy, though I did not know him personally, which means nothing. After a couple years the rules started changing in the way WalMart did their price-match-beat thing. One couldn't just walk up and inform the store that the price was lesselsewhere, but you had to have a coupon or ad along with you, and presto! they would honor that, didn't matter WHAT store it was from...<br /><br />Night before last, I took an ad from Toys-R-Us which is in the local Silverdale area, about 15 minute drive from my house. We had bought a Leap Pad for each of our granddaughters, and wanted to buy soem of the additional books for it, which Toys-R-Us had on sale for about $3 less than WallyWorld...teh cashier was kind of new and didn't know how to put in the price matching...called the night manager over, she looked at the ad, and said"Where IS this store? Is it within our 20 mile radius?" I asked what she meant, and she told me that WalMart had a retriction that prevented them from matching prices for a store that was over 20 miles from them. I felt my blood pressure rise 30 points, my neck began to pound, I told her "Now you are gonna make me mad!!!" I walked out the front door to get some fresh aire, and came back...she looked at me and siad, "I have worked for WalMart for 8 years and that has always been the rule"...(I had told her how things used to be at this store until that night)...I said, "I don't care how long you have worked for them, this store is not more than 20 miles away, to begin with, and secondly you are going to follow what the managers have always done before you)...she said, "Oh, we are going to do it", and I told her"You are right...you ARE going to do it"...customers were watching and listening at teh next registers, and she was looking around at them as she was talking...I think she thought better of any replies and just range it up and walked away...the cashier told me and my wife "If she hadn't done it, I would have been very upset!!!"<br /><br /><br />I guess that is just another ploy of WalMart's, in their quest for continued dominance...this store was scheduled to be turned into a Super Store, but if I can do anything to vote against it I will...I almost wish we had never gotten the store in our town. The next town away, Gig Harbor, a very upbeat place full of Dr's and Lawyers and folks who make tons of cash every year, all beat WalMart and would not let them int o their town at all!!!!!!! Now another town, Poulsbo, is doing all they can to beat them out before they build there...<br /><br /><br />Anyone else have similar experiences with this mogul retail giant??? I am thinking of writing to the Corporate HQ and telling them this story to see just what the real answer to this situation is, and WHY if so!!!<br /><br />Does anyone here have a contact up high at Wally World that would lend an ear to the ordinary shopper???

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: A WalMart gripe...grrrrrrrrr

I had a similar experience with Menards (lIke Lowes) The will beat the competition by 11%. When I purchased new counter tops for the kitchen I got a quote from Lowes, and Home Depot. Menards had the same mfg. but a different color-texture. I questioned the sales guy about the 11%, and he flatly said it was policy on exact matches. Did an end around on this. Ordered the exact match at the 11% off. (on a Sunday) Went to another Menards near my employers plant, and changed the order to the one wifey wanted. They did it on the computer, gave me a receipt. 10 days later... New counter is in and correct at the original store. Sales guy was GREEN. Felt soooo goooood.

KaGee

Admiral

Quite your whinning! You got your new shoes for Christmas.... what more do you want!<br /><br /> :D <br />
36_6_3.gif

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Quite your whinning! You got your new shoes for Christmas.... what more do you want!<br /><br /> :D <br />
36_6_3.gif
What I want for Christmas, is for you to put that filthy tongue back where it belongs!!! Grrrrrrrrr.....the tongue of some people!!!!<br /><br /><br />
28.gif

Cadet

Spratt you are unbelievable and a big hypocrit!! In your post you wrote that this may be another ploy for wally to continue their dominance yet support them anyway. People like you are the REASON walmart runs your local competitors out of business. On top of that, you use their competitors hard spent dollars on advertising to screw them again. I cannot wait until your local competitors are gone and walmart raises their prices to really stick it you. YOU DESERVE IT!! Walmart is ruining America by screwing every supplier they can, eliminating benefits for employees, and driving their competitors to do the same just to stay in business. Pretty soon every retail person will make $6 and live in a trailer like the rest of wally employees and customers!<br />merry christmas!

rogerwa

Commander

Wht some of these mass merchanidisers do is to offer the same products but maybe packaged differently with a differnt model number that is specific to their store. This cuts off the ability to price match.<br /><br />A few years back, I was in the market for a Honda Mower. Northern tool and Home Depot had the same mower, but the HD mower was package as the mower and the recycling kit. The mower in this kit, while being the exact same mower had a different SKU #. The mower at Northern with the recycling kit (added extra) was cheaper than the combo from HD. I made the case to HD so I could get the price match and the additional 10% guarantee price. They basically said it was different.<br /><br />After a good argument, they relented. They were not happy as it was over a $100 adjustment. After I did this, I informed my friend who was also looking for this mower. he went a step furhter and opened the HD card and received another 10% off. <br /><br />My point in this is that they will offer their products in such a way as to promote a price guarantee when it is really difficult to compare products.<br /><br />As far as the dissatisfaction with the night manager, before going postal, you may want to call the real store manager and have a calm constructive conversation. The night manager might just be a bonehead. Give them a fair chance to make it right before you pull your business..<br /><br />Frankly I don't regularly shop at Walmart. I hate the compact aisles. It is just not a pleasurable experience. Where I come from there is room for the big and the small to coexist. I can certainly understand and appreciate the small communities wanting to stop the spread of the concrete jungle..

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Why don't you vote with your wallet,for approx three years now i have not given a penny to "worldmart", as a local business owner i am aware of their underhanded business practices and the way that they go after many local municipalities across the country."Worldmart" is the 800 pound gorilla that is responsible for about 10% of our trade deficit with China.<br />How about advocating some of your patriotism by supporting the "local" business in your towns and neighbourhood.<br /><br />I actually feel better after that little rant :)

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by karma:<br /> Spratt you are unbelievable and a big hypocrit!! In your post you wrote that this may be another ploy for wally to continue their dominance yet support them anyway. People like you are the REASON walmart runs your local competitors out of business. On top of that, you use their competitors hard spent dollars on advertising to screw them again. I cannot wait until your local competitors are gone and walmart raises their prices to really stick it you. YOU DESERVE IT!! Walmart is ruining America by screwing every supplier they can, eliminating benefits for employees, and driving their competitors to do the same just to stay in business. Pretty soon every retail person will make $6 and live in a trailer like the rest of wally employees and customers!<br />merry christmas!
Isn't it awful??? I tell my wife I do not like brussell sprouts also, but doggone her hide if she don't keep cooking them and I keep eating them...<br /><br />
35.gif

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Another unspoken policy of wal-mart used to be that they would exchange anything you brought into the store, just as long as that particular Wal-mart sold it. Not sure if they still do, though. I haven't tried it for a while. No refund, just exchange. I exchanged a PS2 I got from a Best Buy in AZ at a Wal-mart here in IL about 2 years ago. I had to ask to see a manager because the cashier had never heard of such a policy, but the manager had no problems exchanging the item. Seeing as how most people I've met have never heard of that policy, I thought I'd let you all know!

spratt

Lieutenant

This is actually very interesting!! I am getting views from y'all that I never dreamed of...I like it, actually, it helps me get some perspective on the whole thing...keep it coming!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /> Another unspoken policy of wal-mart used to be that they would exchange anything you brought into the store, just as long as that particular Wal-mart sold it. Not sure if they still do, though. I haven't tried it for a while. No refund, just exchange. I exchanged a PS2 I got from a Best Buy in AZ at a Wal-mart here in IL about 2 years ago. I had to ask to see a manager because the cashier had never heard of such a policy, but the manager had no problems exchanging the item. Seeing as how most people I've met have never heard of that policy, I thought I'd let you all know!
They give you a store credit card if you do not have a receipt, and you get teh value of the last lowest price that the store sold the item at within (I think) the past 30 days...

salty87

Commander

please keep telling walmart how to run their business, it's worked so well for everyone else they have faced off against.<br />"...and secondly you are going to follow what the managers have always done before you..."<br /><br />i could see zell miller speaking when i read that.<br /><br />keep spreading the holiday cheer this time of year!

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by karma:<br /> Spratt you are unbelievable and a big hypocrit!! In your post you wrote that this may be another ploy for wally to continue their dominance yet support them anyway. People like you are the REASON walmart runs your local competitors out of business. On top of that, you use their competitors hard spent dollars on advertising to screw them again. I cannot wait until your local competitors are gone and walmart raises their prices to really stick it you. YOU DESERVE IT!! Walmart is ruining America by screwing every supplier they can, eliminating benefits for employees, and driving their competitors to do the same just to stay in business. Pretty soon every retail person will make $6 and live in a trailer like the rest of wally employees and customers!<br />merry christmas!
Now, I used to live in Charl;eston, SC, and there was a paper mill located there...to say the least, it stunk...Ididn't like the smell of the air when I had to drive near the plant....using your argument, karma, should I have just not breathed the air, and even perhaps moved to some location that did not have a paper mill??? I didn't move from SC to Washington because of the paper mill, incidentally...besides, there is one in Tacoma also!!! Thus the term "Aroma of Tacoma"...and just because one may not like beef grilled, shoudl they just simply change to chicken??? Or maybe because I don't care for eht aches and pains of this old body as it ages, perhaps I should just get rid of it and move on???

NYMINUTE

Captain

Walmart does give back to its communities;<br /> Consider the beasts they hire to check you out. This keeps them off the streets, and from scarring little children and small animals. Incidently they are real helpful in consuming expired Twinkees, and Ho Ho's, thus reducing the abundant supply of nutricion for the rodents at the dump. Thirdly these HOG's drive Plymouth Volaries, Pintos, and Vega's that are well below the necessary safety standards in most Metro areas. These POS cars are now parked in their spacious lots for 8 hours a day instead of being driven on our highways and residential streets.<br />All in all Walmart serves the community. :D :D

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry Spratt, but no sympathy from me on this one. Sounds like instead of presenting your case in a respectful, reasonable tone you tried to bully the woman.<br /><br />And the way you describe your conversation with the manager makes YOU sound somewhat rude and boorish.<br /> <br />e.g.<br />"I asked what she meant, and she told me that WalMart had a retriction that prevented them from matching prices for a store that was over 20 miles from them. I felt my blood pressure rise 30 points, my neck began to pound, I told her "Now you are gonna make me mad!!!" I walked out the front door to get some fresh aire, and came back...she looked at me and siad, "I have worked for WalMart for 8 years and that has always been the rule"...(I had told her how things used to be at this store until that night)...I said, "I don't care how long you have worked for them, this store is not more than 20 miles away, to begin with, and secondly you are going to follow what the managers have always done before you)..."<br /><br />If the store policy is price matching within 20 miles, what makes you think you have the right to insist she ignore that policy, even if previous managers did? A polite answer that the store in question was within 20 miles would have been appropriate. <br /><br />"..she said, "Oh, we are going to do it", and I told her "You are right...you ARE going to do it"...customers were watching and listening at teh next registers, and she was looking around at them as she was talking...I think she thought better of any replies and just range it up and walked away..."<br /><br />So AFTER she agreed to the pricematch you continue to browbeat and embarrass her in front of the other customers? <br /><br />Look at it from the other side. You're a new store manager and you know the official company policy is price matching within a 20 mile radius only. Now you've got a customer barking at you that the previous managers didn't enforce that policy, which 1) she has no way of verifying and 2) might get her into trouble if she ignores it as well. Sounds to me like she handled the situation politely and professionally. <br /><br />Once you realize that store personnel are probably taking this type of abuse from customers all day long, it's surprising that they're not all cranky and disagreeable during the holidays. Depending on their personalities, I bet that after hours either alot of tears are shed or dogs kicked by retail personnel after dealing with the public all day long. <br /><br />Glad you got your pricematch, but in my opinion you could have handled it in a much more diplomatic and polite fashion.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Everyone bashes Walmart, but no one thinks about this.<br /><br />The money I save by shopping at walmart allows me to buy things that I normally couldnt afford.<br /><br />And also, Walmart is the ultimate model of perfection in our economy. Bring to the cutomer what they want for the lowest price.<br /><br />It is amazing how us red blooded americans can hate a company that has done nothing but that from day one. Do they pressure their suppliers, of course they do, all businesses do, and if they dont, they are stupid.<br /><br />And spratt I dont like the way you handled your problem. She did give you the discount, as she should have. She also questioned it, as any good manager should have. Perhaps her tone of voice is what ticked you off, I can understand that.<br /><br />Ken

mattttt25

Commander

yeah, your conversation with the cashier makes you sound like the bad guy. besides, if walmart wants to make that their policy, good for them.

D

DJ

Agree with lakelivin, ken and Matttt.<br /><br />You show you a$$ at the drop of a hat, I wouldn't want to try and help you either. You can get a lot more done with kindness than badgering. People never seem to understand that.<br /><br />I have to respect a new employees desire to follow the rules. The spotlight is on them. Respect that.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Agree with lakelivin, ken and Matttt.<br /><br />You show you a$$ at the drop of a hat, I wouldn't want to try and help you either. You can get a lot more done with kindness than badgering. People never seem to understand that.<br /><br />I have to respect a new employees desire to follow the rules. The spotlight is on them. Respect that.
Perhaps Walmart and others should invest in training their personnel more throughly. Afterall we ( the Customer) are the only reason they are there.