96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Perfect! Bookmarked. I'll definitely use that when it comes time. I`ve basically handed that project off to my son who is currently restoring the 84 Toyota 4x4 that we used to haul it around with when they were little. Once he finishes that the drift boat will be next.

Cheers...................Todd

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

300_lg.jpg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
So I started ripping apart the sundeck and it appears its been rehabbed once before. The structure is plywood covered in a little bit of cloth and resin... It seemed like a great idea, but very little resin was used and theres a lot of dry cloth...

Its not a big deal but makes me wonder if I should sand it down and remove the cloth or just leave it as is. The wood seems solid so I don't want to replace it.

I'm currently leaning towards just sanding away the dry cloth and leaving the stuff that seems saturated.

The other down side of what I've found is, the foam was removed and reused so there was lots of rotted plywood stuck to the underside and lots of chunks of foam looked like they were missing and then patched together... really kind of a mess. I just ordered new foam on amazon to replace it.

Just add it to the list lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Lots of progress but nothing super exciting to show.. mostly cutting wood, sanding, spar varnish, paint, repeat... I did finally put my machine and sewing skills to a true test... overall I'm pretty happy... there's a few spots I'm bummed about but it's one of those things I'm probably the only one who will notice... hoping they each get better with practice.

20200407_212053_copy_800x600.jpg20200407_212128_copy_800x600.jpg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Does anyone have a recommendation for removing cured polyester resin from gelcoat? I was wiping down the boat today and found some spots where resin must have dripped or splashed or I touched etc... hoping it comes off easy but the boat has probably not been waxed in 5 years so it's not like there's much of a barrier between it and the gelcoat...

Thanks

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Light sand paper, wipe with acetone, polish. PIA! I have lots of spots to do but with poxy.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
That was my backup plan if there wasnt some magical "spin around 3 times, cross your toes, call its mother fat, and its gone" solution

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea right.. maybe someone holding out. :eek:
Rig up a bandage pad, tap out, insert IV slow drip acetone, monitor.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Couple boat pron things... yesterday I installed the wood backers for the bow backrests... plan to leave them there for a couple weeks hoping the side pieces maintain the curvature of the hull... I didnt want to do any kerfing if I dont have to but well see... the screws are holding it now but I wont have access to use screws on the side so the plan is to use xmas tree clips... but it takes too much force right now to conform... if they hold their shape then the clips should work.

I also installed a thru hole ac plug so I can install a battery charger and plug it in without taking the cover off.

Aaaand today I finally finished my first seat! I'm really happy with it! I learned a few things with this one so hopefully they each get better.

20200409_201826_copy_1024x1365.jpg20200409_201835_copy_1024x768.jpg

Attachments

• 20200408_182336_copy_1024x768.jpg
    20200408_182336_copy_1024x768.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200408_181117_copy_1024x768.jpg
    20200408_181117_copy_1024x768.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 6

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Finished all the bow seats! Sorry for the crappy picture but it was dark out when I finished...

I definitely made some mistakes that are gonna bug me, but still pretty happy with them.

i definitely found the max of my old singer today... had to go thru about 6 layers, all with 1/4" sew foam... I think if I were to do it again, I'd use a thinner sew foam... the 1/4 is nice cuz it hides lots of stuff underneath but it's just so much bulk to sew thru.

Next will probably be the engine cover cuz that's the biggest one and I wanna get it done...

Happy Easter all!

20200411_211048_copy_768x1024.jpg

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Happy Easter!

Only you will know about the mistakes in your cushions. My boat's upholstery is something significantly less than factory. And yet it looks nice. But if you get close you'll see stitches that aren't perfect, little wrinkles here and there in material. You know who's said something? No one. When people climb in your boat...They're at the lake! There's water and fresh air, and maybe they just skied or rode a tube or went for a swim. As long as it looks good and is comfortable, you're winning. You're building a tool for fun, right? Not a show piece. Just my .02 worth and it's probably not worth that.

Keep up the good work. Like I said before...going to the lake if more fun that working on boats. ;)

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Decided yesterday to mess around with some 600 grit wet sandpaper and was able to successfully sand out lots of little blemishes and scratches(tons more to go)...
My question for the experts... for deeper gouges (not thru the gelcoat), its it best to sand them out at risk of not having much gelcoat left in that area, or filling the scratches with colormatched gelcoat at the risk of it not being a perfect match and a lot more work... What do you guys do?