'90 Maxum 2100SR - restoration & conversion

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hear ya' Reserector. Too many things getting in the way. Spent most of last weekend chasing misfires and other issues in one of our cars. Gotta keep them on the road (especially since it was the Expedition that I use to tow the boat).

Look for updates after this weekend.

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
Hoping for more t-shirt weather this weekend, but I don't think it's in the cards.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've used spot heat lamps in cooler weather to get areas to dry. They work but should not be unattended.

I have been doing that some as well as using a space heater. I just would rather it be above 60 in the boat so I am not completely dependent on them.

The temp seems to be coming up in the boat OK this morning.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks good. Did you just roll it on? What kind of wood did you use for the cleats?

On the cleats, I just used pine 2×6 ripped to the shape in post 139.

Yes, I just rolled the gelcoat on with a 1/4 nap roller. Plenty good enough for the locker. I have a sprayer that I am going to try on the main interior. If that doesn't work well, I will roll that, too.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the bow section of the deck PB'd in place. With this cool weather, set-up time is very slow. Have the heater on it now. Will probably wait until next weekend to do the next section.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is a picture of the first piece of deck install. The HD bucket is full of water to help hold it down while the PB sets. I also screwed it to the cleats and fileted I. Across the front bulkhead and a bit down the hull at the front.

20210110_145420_copy_763x424.jpg

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got more done this weekend around other things outside of the restoration. As you can see, I have most of the deck in now. The parts nor installed are cut out and awaiting backside FG. I am now working on. The fuel tank bay as well so I can sel it up.

20210118_140656_copy_800x360.jpg

Starting to look more like a boat.

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
Doesn't it seem wrong to seal in a tank like that? I hated doing that on mine.
Good to see you making good progress.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Doesn't it seem wrong to seal in a tank like that? I hated doing that on mine.

Yes, I've gone back and forth with making it a hatch where it can be removed; but, I've decided that the need to get in there is minimal; so, if I ever do need to get it opened back up, I can just cut off the lid of that one section.

todhunter

Canoeist
What's your fiberglass plan for the decking? 1 layer of CSM on the back and ??? on the top side? I still don't haven't 100% decided what to do on mine.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's your fiberglass plan for the decking? 1 layer of CSM on the back and ??? on the top side? I still don't haven't 100% decided what to do on mine.

I am doing 1 layer of CSM on the back sides.

On top, I'm planning on 2 layers of CSM. I have also thought about doing a layer of 108 over the walking areas (to provide a texture pattern). However, I'm not sure on that part. I may just leave it at the 2 x CSM and then use a sand texture over the walking areas.

NOTE that I'm gelcoating the entire interior.

todhunter

Canoeist
I am doing 1 layer of CSM on the back sides.

On top, I'm planning on 2 layers of CSM. I have also thought about doing a layer of 108 over the walking areas (to provide a texture pattern). However, I'm not sure on that part. I may just leave it at the 2 x CSM and then use a sand texture over the walking areas.

NOTE that I'm gelcoating the entire interior.
Yeah, I've kind of been thinking of doing a layer of 1708 and a layer of 1.5 CSM on top of that for the top surface of the deck. Beyond that (gelcoat vs. carpet vs. something else), I haven't decided.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question for the experts or anyone with an opinion.

When building above deck items (non-structural) do you cover both sides of wood with CSM or just "paint" with thickened resin? The type of items i am talking about would be gunnel panels, etc..

I want them water proof to protect from rot.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question for the experts or anyone with an opinion.

When building above deck items (non-structural) do you cover both sides of wood with CSM or just "paint" with thickened resin? The type of items i am talking about would be gunnel panels, etc..

I want them water proof to protect from rot.
Also, when I say paint them with thickened resin, I mean after coating initially with plin resin to let it soak in.