89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

m2bueller

Cadet
Re: 89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Thank's for the reply.

What color would you go with if the maroon were left on the exterior hull?
I sort of Like the red that is on the factory flat white finish now to go over the light gray, what do you think?

max!

Red would be my vote then hands down. I did a custom interior on my Sunbird back in the 90s. It was a red hull with flat white interior. I did all the upholstery with red, pink and gray vinyl. I strung pink and gray over the white deck. It really turned out nice. Of course this was during the mid 90s when pink was the new black. :p

maxum247

Lieutenant

How did you go about stringing the paint? Paint brush and flirt it on?

max!

Last edited:

m2bueller

Cadet

How did you go about stinging the paint? Paint brush and flirt it on?

max!

That's pretty much how I did it. I had a quart can of the contrast colors and dipped the cheapest brush I could find in it. The deck was easy. The inner hull I had to take the brush and tap it against a wooden dowel. It turned out more splattered than anything. One way to even it out would be to lightly run a dry brush over both the deck and the sides it give it a more streaked effect and balance the to looks but it does reduced the height and therefore the texture of the stinging.

maxum247

Lieutenant

That's pretty much how I did it. I had a quart can of the contrast colors and dipped the cheapest brush I could find in it. The deck was easy. The inner hull I had to take the brush and tap it against a wooden dowel. It turned out more splattered than anything. One way to even it out would be to lightly run a dry brush over both the deck and the sides it give it a more streaked effect and balance the to looks but it does reduced the height and therefore the texture of the stinging.

Thanks for the reply on the question.

You've been helpful in helping me answer my paint color questions. Red over gray and I'm thinking a thicker based paint for a possiblly more realistic stringing effect over the gray.
Both yourself and reel gave me the idea of blue over gray interior that sounds good so far. Thank you both!

max!

jonesg

Admiral

try a fork for stringing paint.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Worked on the boat this weekend but still have a lot to do to be ready for the 4th. Got company coming next weekend so I've got to play catch up on the boat evenings after work this week, along with mowing the yard, pressure wash two small barns, front porch, back deck, house and driveway, should have done the pressure washing in the first part of the spring, take the little man to and from the babysitter before and after work four day's this week.
The big items on my boat to do list is to finish prepping the gunwales for glass and there about half way ready now. I have to reroute the wiring for the outboard motor again, wire the running lights, finish brush painting the interior, the rest of the items that need to be completed is minor stuff that can be taken care of in a couple of hours.
Sea trials! I would like to get in two short trips in the daylight hours before the 4th so that I can work out any problems before hand.
It's looking a little doubtful that I will make the fourth at this point but I haven't given up yet.

maxum247

Lieutenant

I got home a little late from work this afternoon, but to good news! No pressure washing, just a little touching up with a sprayer for now.:D
I did get to work on the boat a little while before it got dark, so I decided to hook up the wiring for the outboard motor then I made up some tie up lines for the boat and lastly fastened the steering console to the deck.
I tried the steering after fastening the console to the deck and it seems to be free'er than it was a few weeks ago when I tryed it.:)

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I worked on the boat for about 6 hours this morning and got most of the gunwale's prepped, probably have another 3 hours left but the rest will have to wait until late tommorrow afternoon.
Here's a couple of pictures of the way the boats looking this afternoon.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 552.jpg
    Picture 552.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 543.jpg
    Picture 543.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin good there Max, getting closer & closer :cool:

maxum247

Lieutenant

Reel, It was in the 90's here today and I'm feel'n it tonight after work'n on the boat for 6 hours this morning. I'm gonna have to go with the front half of the gunwales unglassed for now to make it in time for the 4th. I still need to do some painting on the interior hull sides and take care of some other odds and ends before the boat will be useable.

max!

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

In the 90's here today also, I sanded down some marine tex & went right back in the house. Only a week or so before the 4th, sounds like your gonna be workin on her everyday.

maxum247

Lieutenant

In the 90's here today also, I sanded down some marine tex & went right back in the house. Only a week or so before the 4th, sounds like your gonna be workin on her everyday.

The 4th is coming quick! At this point I am a bit nervous about finishing the boat in time for the 4th. Next weekend is out all together, will be out of town all weekend. That's the weekend I was counting on to do the sea trials and so on so I've got to get busy this week.

max!

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

The 4th is coming quick! At this point I am a bit nervous about finishing the boat in time for the 4th. Next weekend is out all together, will be out of town all weekend. That's the weekend I was counting on to do the sea trials and so on so I've got to get busy this week.

max!
Auhhh.... Shouldn't you be working on the boat :D

maxum247

Lieutenant

Since I last posted I've painted the interior of the boat light gray to the point that it can be painted.
Here's a couple of picture's of what the interior looked like before and after painting.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 489.jpg
    Picture 489.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 541.jpg
    Picture 541.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 560.jpg
    Picture 560.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 561.jpg
    Picture 561.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 557.jpg
    Picture 557.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0

bear_69cuda

Commander

Looking awesome Max, can't wait to see the paint! Great work and craftsmanship as always dude!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I got back into town early this afternoon and after resting a bit I decided to test run my 1989 125 Force outboard motor. Started right up but it soon became apparent that a couple of cylinders were not firing or were firing out of sorts.
I hooked my light bulb spark tester to each plug wire and found that the NO.1 cylinder wasn't firing and fire on NO.3 was weak. I had a spare used coil so I swapped out the NO.1 coil and now have weak fire on 1 and 3, one of the cylinders acts like it is trying to pick up but doesn't quite do it. 2 and 4 have strong fire on them.
The motor appears to picking up all four cylinders at around half throttle and runs strong all the way to full throttle topping out at about 37mph. :confused:

max!

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I got back into town early this afternoon and after resting a bit I decided to test run my 1989 125 Force outboard motor. Started right up but it soon became apparent that a couple of cylinders were not firing or were firing out of sorts.
I hooked my light bulb spark tester to each plug wire and found that the NO.1cylinder wasn't firing and fire on NO.3 was weak. I had a spare used coil so I swapped out the NO.1 coil and now have weak fire on 1 and 3, one of the cylinders acts like it is trying to pick up but doesn't quite do it. 2 and 4 have strong fire on them.
The motor appears to be picking up all four cylinders at around half throttle and runs strong all the way to full throttle topping out at about 37mph. :confused:

max!
What's up with the :confused:, I thought you where Jedi master when it came to the Force.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I hooked my light bulb spark tester to each plug wire and found that the NO.1cylinder wasn't firing and fire on NO.3 was weak. I had a spare used coil so I swapped out the NO.1 coil and now have weak fire on 1 and 3, one of the cylinders acts like it is trying to pick up but doesn't quite do it. 2 and 4 have strong fire on them.
The motor appears to be picking up all four cylinders at around half throttle and runs strong all the way to full throttle topping out at about 37mph. :confused:

max!
What's up with the :confused:, I thought you where a Jedi Master when it came to the Force.

maxum247

Lieutenant

This thing has stumped me every since I've had it!:redface:
Everything I know about these engines comes straight from the CLYMER shop manual that I have.
I'm going to check the rectifier tomorrow and see if that has anything to do with the problem but am thinking it's probably a weak CD module.

max!

Status
Not open for further replies.