89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

try swapping coils around and spark plug wires too.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Swapped the known good coils around on the motor this afternoon and had the same problem as before, cylinders 1 and 3 are still firing weak. Didn't get the chance to disconnect the white wire on the module to see if 1 and 3 would start firing correctly to confirm the module bad but will try that tommorrow after work.
Rectifier seems to working correctly at this time. I'm getting a reading at idle of around 14.5 volts or so as best I could see the guage in the dark.

maxum247

Lieutenant

I've spent hours trying to solve the problem with the weak spark on cylinders 1 and 3 of my outboard and have had no luck. Unless I can solve the problem in the next couple of days it looks like the 4th is out for this year.

max!

m2bueller

Cadet

I for one am dieing to know if you made it or not. I've pretty much packed in working on mine until the weather breaks a little. 97 degrees in direct sunlight and no breeze makes it to much for me. I'm spending time in the shop with my 2 wheeled projects for now.

maxum247

Lieutenant

I've pretty much worked on the boat every minute that I'm not at work or had something else to do for the last month or so. I've got the boat so it's useable temporarily but I am having a weak spark issue on cylinders 1 and 3 that I haven't been able to figure out. Time is short and I am still working to solve the spark issue right now but at this point I don't think I'm going to make it on the water tonight for the fireworks.:(
It's been a tough 30 day's or so trying to pull it all together, but the good thing about it is, I've probably gotten more done on the boat than I would have if I hadn't been trying to get on the water tonight.

max!

jonesg

Admiral

did you try disconnecting the shift interrupt switch ?
sometimes they become sticky.

maxum247

Lieutenant

did you try disconnecting the shift interrupt switch ?
sometimes they become sticky.

Are you talking about the neutral safety switch?

Update! I think the problem is in the wiring from the console back to the motor as I'm getting a reading with the ignition switch in the on or off position when I disconnect and check the (kill wires) from the cd modules. I tried a new igniton switch and an old one with the same results, my manual suggest's if there's any reading on a kill circut the problem will be in the igniton switch or wiring harness I beleive. So here I go again! Don't really know what I'm looking for but will find it eventually I guess.

max!

m2bueller

Cadet

Wish I could help. I'm normally good with automotive electrical problems but without a schematic I'm lost on boats.
Electrical gremlins can really bite you in the butt. I'm dealing with a couple on my brit bike. thankfully it's not a Lucas (lord of darkness) ignition of the old Triumphs

maxum247

Lieutenant

Wish I could help. I'm normally good with automotive electrical problems but without a schematic I'm lost on boats.
Electrical gremlins can really bite you in the butt. I'm dealing with a couple on my brit bike. thankfully it's not a Lucas (lord of darkness) ignition of the old Triumphs

I'd really like to find the problem with the weak spark on cyinders 1 and 3 tommorrow, it was kind of interesting in the beginning but now I'm ready to get it fixed.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I still have spark problems with the outboard but will probably get it solved someday!
Moving on to the boat! I haven't done anything else to the boat it's self lately but did run into a problem with some of the glass work on the port aft gunwale. I noticed when I first glassed the aft port side gunwale that it took forever for the polyester resin to cure, after a couple weeks it was pretty much cured so I sanded it all down and prepared it for a second coat of glass thinking all was well, a couple of more weeks went by and the other day I was up in the boat working on wiring the ignition switch and I noticed a couple of places on the inside of the gunwale the fiberglass had literally let go from the wood and was bubbled up about a 1/4" high and about 2"x4" long. I started to pull at the fiberglass and when finished the whole 7' long x 4" wide section had pulled off in long sections from the inside of the gunwale. So I will be doing that over again in the future.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I've been working on the motor every spare second I've had for the last week or two. Right now I'm waiting on some parts to arrive, hopefully that will take care of the motor problems, then I will be able to get back to working on the boat itself and get caught up once more.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Had some time on my hands so I searched back through some of my old photographs and found these. These are some photo's of the first fiberglass boat remodel I did back in the early 90's.
The photo's are of my 1967 Glassmaster inboard/outboard that I converted to an outboard model in the early 90's as mentioned before. I used this boat for three years nearly every day the weather was fit with a 40 hp electric start Bigtwin Evinrude outboard motor 1964 model, according to the speedometer it would make between 19 and 21 mph, plained real nice and was the best riding boat I've owned to date. (By the way the motor was given to me, it had been sitting in a back yard on top an old firewood pile for who knows how long).
After three years the motor began to fail so I decided to convert the boat to a tiller outboard set up with washboards and a bow cap as shown in the picture's, which I put a brand new 25 hp Mariner outboard on and used it for awhile but with the top off the boat it was light up front and the flaired bow would catch the wind and ride high so it was hard to see around so after awhile I sold the motor to my brother for about 2/3rd's of what I paid for it and the boat to a friend of one of my other brothers for $125. So the conversion from inboard/outboard worked well in my case but the conversion to tiller steering with washboards and bowcap didn't work well, I feel it could have if I had redisigned here and there but by this time I was tired messing with it and was more into working on cars in those days. Just thought this might be of interest. No picture's jus the story the file size is too large evidently.

max!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Max, sorry to hear your still having spark problems. Have you tried switching the CD modules between 1 and 3 to 2 and 4 and see if the problem follows? Then its a matter of just replacing the offending CD modules.

Anyway, I'm sure you will find the problem. Keep at it and eventually you will uncover the problem. Also see if you can isolate the entire motor from the harness, and run with just a few jumpers wires to see if the motor will start and run. Then you will know if its the motor electronics or the wire harness/ignition switch.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Max, sorry to hear your still having spark problems. Have you tried switching the CD modules between 1 and 3 to 2 and 4 and see if the problem follows? Then its a matter of just replacing the offending CD modules.

Anyway, I'm sure you will find the problem. Keep at it and eventually you will uncover the problem. Also see if you can isolate the entire motor from the harness, and run with just a few jumpers wires to see if the motor will start and run. Then you will know if its the motor electronics or the wire harness/ignition switch.

Tried switching the models around with no luck.
Sounds good but don't know how to isolate with jumper wires, I'm not to good when it comes to electrical, have ya noticed?:redface::confused:

jonesg

Admiral

If any stray voltage gets to the black/yellow stripe kill switch wire you can count on the power pack going south in 2 seconds.
The internal diodes fry and that screws up the firing.

volatge can get to the kill wire at the ignition switch, make sure its not twisting in the dash bezel. Pinched wires etc.
Find the source of the stray volatge first, then retry the engine, if its still no good on one side you probably need a new PP.

maxum247

Lieutenant

If any stray voltage gets to the black/yellow stripe kill switch wire you can count on the power pack going south in 2 seconds.
The internal diodes fry and that screws up the firing.

volatge can get to the kill wire at the ignition switch, make sure its not twisting in the dash bezel. Pinched wires etc.
Find the source of the stray volatge first, then retry the engine, if its still no good on one side you probably need a new PP.

Thanks!
I checked to make sure the switch is secure in the dash and that seems to be ok with none of the wiring pinched or anything.
I've about decided that the cd module may be the problem. I've got one coming this week, hopefully I'll get chance to try it this weekend and see if that helps.

max!

MikDee

Banned

Hey Max, I'm sorry to hear of your plight :( Is the spark weak on the wire, or at the plug?, are there any grounds wires near the coils that you need to clean?

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hey Max, I'm sorry to hear of your plight :( Is the spark weak on the wire, or at the plug?, are there any grounds wires near the coils that you need to clean?

It's a mess Mik! This thing has run me ragged! I've checked and rechecked everything that I can think of several times. If I pull the plug wire on one and three no change in the way the engine runs. With a spark tester installed between the spark plug and boot, one is so weak I can barely see a spark, three is about the same, two and four fire real strong on the inline spark tester. Trigger wires checkout at 49 ohms, all coils appear good. I've got a cd module coming in a few days, I'm hoping that will help.

max!

MikDee

Banned

If it were my engine, I'd get jiggy with it, and I would be pulling the plug wire out of the bad coil, & replacing it to begin with,,, whatever that takes! :rolleyes: Besides, you'd then be able to test them to see if they were broken or corroded somewhere? Copper wire doesn't last forever, esp. around salt water.

maxum247

Lieutenant

If it were my engine, I'd get jiggy with it, and I would be pulling the plug wire out of the bad coil, & replacing it to begin with,,, whatever that takes! :rolleyes: Besides, you'd then be able to test them to see if they were broken or corroded somewhere? Copper wire doesn't last forever, esp. around salt water.

Checked out the coils again Mik! "all four are good". As mentioned before the stator, trigger, and rectifier appear to check out, magnet is good in flywheel, I don't see any wiring issues, must be a module!

max!

Status
Not open for further replies.