89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Man your moving now Max !!! lol she is looking good !!! John

Thank's John!
Hey! The rub rail for your boat is looking good. I hope when the time comes mine will clean up that good.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Nothing to report as far as work on the boat today, this cold I've got is on it's 5th day now and is putt'n a hurt'n on me!
I did get the boat and trailer reregistered today, that meant about as much to me as getting some actual work done on the boat itself. :D

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey max, The boat is looking great man. I too would love to get mine done before the 4th of July, but with all the rain we are having here I do not see that happening (No Garage):(. But any how just wanted to say good job and hope you feel better soon.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Max what part of NC?

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

OBX area!
That's a great place to be!!! Everyone in VA loves it over there, OBX bumper sticker crazy up here. Also not to far from Petersburg,VA.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Lots of water everywhere.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 1154.jpg
    Picture 1154.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Max I'm new to iboats just wanted to say boat looks great. I don't think any one would beleave you after your done what that boat used to look like. I just got back from obx great place, I live just about as far west in NC as you can get, eight hour drive. Anyway boat looks great. Getting ready to start a project boat I'll be looking for some input, what a great site.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hey Max I'm new to iboats just wanted to say boat looks great. I don't think any one would beleave you after your done what that boat used to look like. I just got back from obx great place, I live just about as far west in NC as you can get, eight hour drive. Anyway boat looks great. Getting ready to start a project boat I'll be looking for some input, what a great site.

What kinda boat you got?

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I found out earlier this winter that the steering cable on the boat had frozen up almost completely so I took it in the garage and worked on it for several afternoons trying to free it up which didn't work out so I gave up and hung one end of the cable up in the air and every so often I'd shoot a little 3 in 1 oil in the end of the cable, after a few weeks the cable was still stiff so I pretty much gave up on it thinking to buy a new one.
Then the other day my wife and I decided on the 4th of July outting and my only choice was to see if the steering would work well enough to use the boat for the weekend, "lack of funds for a new cable right now" well anyway I went ahead and hooked it up on the boat thinking it wouldn't do any better than before. It started off kind of stiff but to my suprise after a few turns it started to free up and the more I turned it the more it loosened up. There's a stiff spot or two but I think it will be ok for awhile until I can do better.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Worked on the boat this morning and got the throttle and shift cables hooked up on my 125 Force outboard. Those cables are kind of difficult to hook up until you learn that the cable covers actually do the moving instead of the stainless rod inside the cable, "I know that sounds backwards" but the inner core of the cables mount to a solid bracket on the side of the motor. There's also a notch on the cable ends that has to line up on a little tab inside the bracket that mounts each cable to the shift and throttle mounts, so if you have a Force outboard and replace the cables maybe my trial and error will help you out a little.

Next I did some rivet work on the aft section of gunwales getting them secured to the hull sides now that I have those positioned like they need to be.

It's starting to sprinkle rain so I am going to close everything up for now and go out and do something with the family for awhile, maybe later this afternoon the weather will clear and I'll be able to get back on the boat, things are coming along pretty good, it looks I may have the boat useable for the 4th!

max!

Attachments

• Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good try a little silicon on the sreering might just loosen up some more. Whens the paint going on?

maxum247

Lieutenant

Looking good try a little silicon on the sreering might just loosen up some more. Whens the paint going on?

Thank's for the tip!
Probably be next summer before I paint, I still have a lot that I want to do on the boat before paint. I'm just trying to get it useable for the summer right now, a rolling restoration if you will! :)

max!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Max,

Just checking in!

Lookin good buddy!

PBblaster might loosen up that as well..

Have a great weekend!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hey Max,

Just checking in!

Lookin good buddy!

PBblaster might loosen up that as well..

Have a great weekend!

Thank's bear! Good to hear from ya!

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Back to work on the boat this afternoon. Finally started the rest of the gunwale build, well sort of, I decided to use the gunwales that I had built for the previous bowrider build. They are a little narrow in width and heigth but that should'nt be too hard to correct, add a little here a little there. :D

The gap you see near the bowcap on the starboard side between the fiberglass gunwale and plywood is what's left of the roughly 3/4" gap that ran from the bow back about 5 or so feet that I needed to correct so that the port and starboard gunwales would match. I cut the starboard gunwale in that area into two sections about two feet long and glassed it back in place (which you can't see in the picture's) as well as pulled the fiberglass into shape along the bowcap with long stainless screws and PL Adhesive to get the starboard side to the shape it's at now. I will remove the rest of the gap you see in the new section of gunwale as the plywood is installed and fastened into place.
I don't beleive I've mentioned or I may have, that the bowrider and center console builds have both been done useing recycled lumber even the steering console is a peice of marine plywood recycled from an old business sign. The lumber I have purchased new to date for the center console build are two 1x4's used in the aft gunwale build. "Otherwise from the deck up, all recycled lumber!"

Here's a couple picture's.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 448.jpg
    Picture 448.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 444.jpg
    Picture 444.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1

maxum247

Lieutenant

This afternoon I cut the wood strips on the tablesaw that will be used to make the bow section of gunwales the width and height of the aft section of gunwales and attached the wood strips to the gunwales useing PL Adhesive and stainless screws counter sunk every 4in" and then I put in a couple of 3X4" plywood pads at each joint on the underside of the gunwales useing PL Adhesive to help make them stronger and recaulked all the joints on the underside of the gunwales just to be safe. It was slow work but it looks pretty good considering what I had to work with material wise.:)

Here's a pic of the extention's being added to the gunwales and a couple after the gunwales where finished. In the third picture the gray color gunwale at the top is the part that get's stepped on and the wood color gunwale below it is the interior side of the gunwales after extending.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 465.jpg
    Picture 465.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 472.jpg
    Picture 472.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 475.jpg
    Picture 475.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1

maxum247

Lieutenant

Then and now!

Attachments

• STA70894.JPG
    STA70894.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 151.jpg
    Picture 151.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She's looking great!!! It looks soo much sleeker and lighter. Still think you"ll have it in the water by the 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.