89 BL Capri resto help

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep I thought I would cut everything as close to square, level, etc. Ya nope. Never fit right. Up and down the ladder to trim this or sand that to get it to fit CLOSE. That’s what PB is for ;). Fill the little gaps that never match perfect. Doing some great progress. Show some more pics.

ya man up and down is getting old lol, but oh well its all apart of it. and i will get pics, its been too long, but with the rain yesterday and rushing to get the glass work in the garage, i said screw it.

on a further note, i am no longer allowed to keep wet glass in the garage. GF lost her mind when she came home to a resin smelling house that has finally died off to an extent this morning, its still slightly lingering, but hell i had negative pressure on the garage and it did nothing for it....

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
As Red Green says, I am pullin for you. We all in this together.
It is supposed to rain here tomorrow. Just give me a window of opportunity. Fingers crossed. To back it in the driveway and see if it will run. Once it warmed up and starts hot religiously. River is next test. The boom test as I been calling it.

i hope your tests and trials go smoothly. i know i would be frustrated if i bought a crate motor and it blew up the first go and have missed boating days due to it.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
on a further note, i am no longer allowed to keep wet glass in the garage. GF lost her mind when she came home to a resin smelling house that has finally died off to an extent this morning, its still slightly lingering, but hell i had negative pressure on the garage and it did nothing for it....

lol, that smell will burn every nostril hair in yo head!! I had the same issue. Make sure your garage is completely sealed except for the fan blowing out. This way the makeup air for the fan can only draw from the house into the garage. I even slightly cracked the door to the house to help with the draft. The fan has to be sealed in the window, the garage doors must be somewhat sealed. The path of least resistance must be the air of the house into the garage. Good luck!!!

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
lol, that smell will burn every nostril hair in yo head!! I had the same issue. Make sure your garage is completely sealed except for the fan blowing out. This way the makeup air for the fan can only draw from the house into the garage. I even slightly cracked the door to the house to help with the draft. The fan has to be sealed in the window, the garage doors must be somewhat sealed. The path of least resistance must be the air of the house into the garage. Good luck!!!

oh they all were, i just dont think the fans i had were strong enough, they are kinda old now so they dont perform too well.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
so something is not liking the uploading so i had to do them as attachments, there is also notes with them....

as for how i glassed in the bulkheads, i glassed them in like stringers so there wouldn't be hard spots. today i need to make patterns for the forward and aft walls of the bulk heads. and glassed in tonight.

also want to finish glassing the fuel palette and cross members in, they are just resting in there as i figured out where i want them for support.

Attachments

• photo316012.jpg
    photo316012.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo316015.jpg
    photo316015.jpg
  • photo316018.jpg
    photo316018.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo316019.jpg
    photo316019.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo316020.jpg
    photo316020.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo316021.jpg
    photo316021.jpg
  • photo316022.jpg
    photo316022.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • photo316023.jpg
    photo316023.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
you'll need to clean the glass on all sides of placed pcs. about 6-8" to get a good bond.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea I figga ya did

now riddle me this, how does fiberglass tape work? is it literally like tape then i go back over with resin????

thinking of going with tape rather than making my own strips and if it is stick on one side it would make the initial placement a breeze.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just pre cut glass to the width desired. Saves a bit of time cutting and if you want one long tape joint instead of cutting several 50" pieces. It's cut out of wide rolls like toilet paper.....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Costs more and is a waste. Just cut your own. If you use scraps then lay 1 pc. about 2" over the prior. No waste no haste.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
well darn that sucks, i was really hoping that it did have a sticky side lol

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Put some resin on one side and there ya go..... one sticky side:lol:

ya ya ya lol

well no progress was made yesterday to an extent, got the battery box sides cut but thats it, every time i tried to do something it would rain on me so i stopped...

hopefully tonight ill get them PB'ed in and the fuel pallet finished. along with some grinding work and making tabbing strips.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I got the battery box sides Pb’ed in this morning before work and glasses in the fuel pallet plus the crossmember that butts up to it.

hopefully after work I will get the seat box tops templates made, cut, and glassed on one side waiting for install.

Need to order 2lb closed cell foam and more resin. Surprised as to how far I have been able to stretch this 5gal pail, but now am running close to the end of it.

Should be able to make fiber glass strips tonight as well so I can tab in the seat box and batter box sides and in preparation for the floor.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok so i have been slightly productive over the holiday weekend, i got the seat/batter box tabbed in, seat box tops made, glassed and needing installed. trying to find supplies to make a pattern for the floor, having trouble finding foam board and cardboard that i have won't cut it....

need to order more resin too, i have about a half gallon left now. the plan going forward now is to finish up the floor supports tonight in-between the stringers, tonight put the seat box tops on will glass them to the sides of the box as well once more resin comes in, cut the battery box top and glass it (need to figure out how i want to mount it meaning hinge or drop on). finish up what resin i have left by tabbing in the box.

get a PVC pipe on the way home from work to run along a stringer to the battery box plus drill those holes this week at some point.

hope yall had a great holiday weekend!

zack

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
so i guess i am going to have to go with foam board that comes in a 50 foot packaging, i wish i could find blue core board that was not in bulk like this but oh well.

yesterday i got the seat box tops in before the GF wanted me doing something else. hopefully i can get the box tabbed in tonight and start to fill some small gaps that the seat boxes have so that i may smooth them out for some 1708 tabbing.

thought i had a hole saw for the PVC tube i picked up but i dont have one that is the correct diameter so i will need to get one.

pictures to come, i am sorry i am so horrible at getting them and uploading them.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you’re already tabbing seat boxes (to the decking I assume) how are you gonna get foam boards in.
why not pour in 2 part foam.
I was hesitant about the pour in as well but it’s easy, not expensive and very effective.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you’re already tabbing seat boxes (to the decking I assume) how are you gonna get foam boards in.
why not pour in 2 part foam.
I was hesitant about the pour in as well but it’s easy, not expensive and very effective.

seat boxes go along the bottom of the hull.... so i floated them in like stingers with PB. now i am adding structural support along the seam where the seat/battery box meet the hull..... i need the foam to make stencils of the floor so i dont go wasting good ply wood...... and yes i planned on using 2 part foam for filling the gaps in spots that i removed during demolition.