89 BL Capri resto help

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I started out in a Cherokee, then had to transition to the 172 due to a renter having a runway incursion. I definitely enjoyed the low wing plane more than the 172. Lost a couple weeks transitioning but caught on pretty quick. I definitely liked the electric flaps on the 172, lol. When I first started flying it really blew my mind in how behind in technology these small planes were. Carburetors, carb heat, mixture adjustments, radio navigation.....the dreaded dead reckoning. For crying out loud, in this day of GPS, you want me to put a map in my lap, look for and mark way points with a pencil, and calculate fuel burn and wind corrections on an E6B while maintaining a heading??? Lol. Good times. Then again, there is no pulling off somewhere to get directions when you’re in the sky. You either find the airport, or you crash. Lol. Honestly I miss it.

i have always preferred low wing, they are more reactive and slip a lot nicer, i prefer the manual flaps to be honest, i fly a Cherokee pretty frequently and they have the STC for a 180 hp fuel injected lycombing. with manual flaps i have more control over the plane when i am doing non standard movements (we won't talk about those though LMFAO). technology is behind in certificated planes due to the system works.... even now commercial airlines rarely use GPS here in the states for travel, in the sense that they still track VOR radials but just program it into the GPS.... now small planes ATC loves "fly direct to...". even landing they'll tell me "vectors to final...." but its not bad i hate doing the full darn procedure because it just takes longer and ATC likes to keep everything moving along.... now you want advanced planes fly some experimental planes. those can be really fun or really sketchy. but with ADS-B coming out, GPS's in planes just jumped 20 years due to they factor in wind and heading corrections now that the ADS-B frequencies carry weather and "live" radar (radar can be up to 30min old). but larger planes have their own radar.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys, I'm enjoying the flying conversation. My brother and I spent a good bit of our time growing up at the airport because our Dad was a pilot both hobbyist and professional. It's funny you spelled out the nav procedures since my Dad was very precise with that part of it all. Probably due to the fact that he was a WSO/Nav in F-111s during the cold war. During my childhood we had two different Mooneys, a Piper Twin Comanche, and then finally, the only plane my parents ever bought brand new, a 1994 F33 Bonanza. All were great planes and we took some long trips in them. Good times!

My Dad still keeps all of his certifications current even though he doesn't fly much. He spends most of his time on the lake or on his Goldwing. Ah, retirement.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys, I'm enjoying the flying conversation. My brother and I spent a good bit of our time growing up at the airport because our Dad was a pilot both hobbyist and professional. It's funny you spelled out the nav procedures since my Dad was very precise with that part of it all. Probably due to the fact that he was a WSO/Nav in F-111s during the cold war. During my childhood we had two different Mooneys, a Piper Twin Comanche, and then finally, the only plane my parents ever bought brand new, a 1994 F33 Bonanza. All were great planes and we took some long trips in them. Good times!

My Dad still keeps all of his certifications current even though he doesn't fly much. He spends most of his time on the lake or on his Goldwing. Ah, retirement.

Oh lord good old bonanza’s lol was it the doctor killer (v tail)? I would love a twin Barron with 200’s is what my dream plane (personally own) would be. As for procedures you have to be on the comms or atc is gonna have a field day with your tickets.... heck one miss phrase or wrong placed word at a busy airport can cause mass confusion fast lol I was flying in a class bravo airport (any big metro airport) and I didn’t state what I wanted correctly, ATC didn’t catch it and next thing I know I am doing what I was approved for and caught a jets vortex (it was dirty as heck, gear down, flaps out) and it sucked me down before I even knew what was going on and at the same time ATC realized my mistake in my request and I had them squawking in my ear.... great times......

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Oh lord good old bonanza’s lol was it the doctor killer (v tail)? I would love a twin Barron with 200’s is what my dream plane (personally own) would be. As for procedures you have to be on the comms or atc is gonna have a field day with your tickets.... heck one miss phrase or wrong placed word at a busy airport can cause mass confusion fast lol I was flying in a class bravo airport (any big metro airport) and I didn’t state what I wanted correctly, ATC didn’t catch it and next thing I know I am doing what I was approved for and caught a jets vortex (it was dirty as heck, gear down, flaps out) and it sucked me down before I even knew what was going on and at the same time ATC realized my mistake in my request and I had them squawking in my ear.... great times......

Wow, that’s crazy. Listening to my instructors talking about Class B made me pretty sure I’d stay clear of it. I was happy with my class D airport and surrounding countryside. We just had to steer clear of the DC SFRA, and make sure to get the Notams so we knew when the Camp David FRZ was expanded. You definitely did not want to violate those spaces, lol.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our Bonanza was not the V tail, it was traditional.

My Dad and I flew into Atlanta Hartsfield to pick up my brother. We were sandwiched in between a pair of Deltas, and I remember the last thing the approach controller said, "Keep you speed of and take the first available turn off" We had a 757 on our tail. :)

This is what ours looked like.

Attachments

• photo317539.jpg
    photo317539.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 0

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow, that’s crazy. Listening to my instructors talking about Class B made me pretty sure I’d stay clear of it. I was happy with my class D airport and surrounding countryside. We just had to steer clear of the DC SFRA, and make sure to get the Notams so we knew when the Camp David FRZ was expanded. You definitely did not want to violate those spaces, lol.

Bravos aren’t bad you just have to be on your game, be able to process fast and identify aircraft..... I was told one time to follow in a pilatus on the visual, and by god I didn’t know what it looked like or could see it, thank god my instructor knew what they looked like Cause I would have been f’ed.... that’s when I knew I needed to start just looking up and studying different planes....

i want to get my DC area training so I can go fly around the military bases I was stationed at.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our Bonanza was not the V tail, it was traditional.

My Dad and I flew into Atlanta Hartsfield to pick up my brother. We were sandwiched in between a pair of Deltas, and I remember the last thing the approach controller said, "Keep you speed of and take the first available turn off" We had a 757 on our tail. :)

This is what ours looked like.

Ya I know that feeling comin in with a jet behind you, kinda sucks crossing the threshold at 120 indicated with one notch of flaps in but at least you can settle in better and float in that ground effect to do a very quick stop. I couldn’t imagine getting taxi directions there though. Dear god the read back would be hell

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey y’all sorry for ghosting the site, work has been hell in a hand basket these past few weeks so the boat work has been at a stoppage. This week though I should be knocking a heck of a lot of it out, the gf and friends are wanting to hit the lake so a few buddy’s are gonna help me out this week. Hope something big happens!

hope all is well folks and thanks for being patient!!!

zack

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ya man... no worries... Island voice.
Take the time and do it right. That's Life. I've seen so many guys just throw crap in and think it was OK.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
what blows though is simple work is needing done (current Step we shall say). and i am rounding turn three and getting into turn 4 for the home stretch...... the funny part is the person who wants it done the most is the same one that wouldn't be seen in it when it was really rough but offers no help lol, gotta love the boss at home lol.

i am hoping today that i can get the floor tabbed in and the front seat boxes traced and maybe cut out. i just really need to keep takin small steps every day rather than trying to unload a bunch of work on saturdays..... the poker run is still a month or so out so i have time for one good outing in it before summers end. also thank god cumberland stays warm till mid november so that will gove me time to get out as well.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well got the front bow seats cut and assembled, need to glass them and install them, tonight I should be tabbing in the deck.
pictures to come as soon as I get enough to sit on the computer and resize them