87 SS180 First Rebuild

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 87 SS180 First Rebuild

Here's a good place to get your rivets astor: www.rivetsinstock.com (iboats doesn't sell rivets, right????) if so, oops. You can rivets at Grainger but will be buying boxes of 1000. These guys will sell a 100 piece box.

I used a DA sander and wire wheel to get the carpet off my last project and then painted. Stay away from the steel wire wheels.

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks guys, really looking forward to getting the tear-out complete. Can only seem to put an hour or two a day into it.

Anyone have a good source for the plastic strip that covers the windshield screws? buggered two of them up trying to get them out.

I think I'll be able to salvage the teak on both the swim platform and the ski locker.
IMG_0385.jpg

8aef0e43.jpg

Astor I must have missed your question on the winshield screw cover the first time I read the post, If you go to post #204 in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=528421&page=9 you will find the info you need. I believe the one I used was 30-1119

dozerII

Admiral

Astor, Mar-hyde Talstrip aircraft stripper takes the glue off very easy.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

Thanks for the info on the stripper and the screw covers Glen.

Got the floor out tonight, the foam certainly did a job on the fuel fill line. it was terribly deteriorated and leaking.
6834e5fe.jpg

Here is a pic of the knee brace that is cracked. I think I will drill the ends of the fractures and get a piece of aluminum angle to patch, I was thinking about welding, but I'm not sure it will last.

528ca35e.jpg

95fb0310.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Boy that looks familiar, I just grabbed hold of the fuel fill hose and tore it apart, I don't know what they were thinking at the factory.

astor

DH,
Thanks! Thats half the price of of the hoses I was finding!

Ben

astor

Got the rest of the foam removed over the weekend and pulled the gas tank tonight.

e8035600.jpg

338f0476.jpg

1007963a.jpg

tank seems in pretty good shape, its a 20 gal according to the label, its bigger than I thought it would be.
Glen- notice the max test pressure of 3 psi. I think someone suggested you test up to 15psi, which would definitely damage your tank. I wouldn't go over 1-2psi.

7bcbce83.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That tank is great man! Those real thin sub deck tanks are kinda rare and spendy, great score:)

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

This feels all to familiar. I did this earlier in June. The scary part is everything looks almost the same. That wood below the tank was highly water logged correct?

Hey is your transom in 3 pieces? One long lower section and two upper sections one on each side.

That tank looks slightly different than mine. Your sending unit is at the bottom of the tank with the fuel line that leads to the OB. That seems logical compared to the way my tank is setup with everything at one end.

barato2

Commander

I think someone suggested you test up to 15psi
that was me, and i stand corrected. i just pulled the 15 psi figure out of the air anyway.....didn't think about the NUMBER of square inches we're talking about. 15 times that many sq in would be a lot of lbs of pressure shoving it apart.

astor

yes DirtyHarry transom appears to be 3 pieces and that thin board under the tank is water logged, will be replaced with something more water resistant. Will clean the tank up a bit before it goes back in. - Next step is removing the rear splashwell and deck to get the transom out.

Jas- the tank is pretty neat but the welds are nothing to brag about. I would think you could make one pretty cheaply, probably cheaper than you could buy one, that is if you have the time and a mig or TIG welder.

Barato2- yep 15psi dont sound like much to me either.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes DirtyHarry transom appears to be 3 pieces and that thin board under the tank is water logged, will be replaced with something more water resistant. Will clean the tank up a bit before it goes back in. - Next step is removing the rear splashwell and deck to get the transom out.

The Well is probably held in by some snap rivets and 4 solid rivets up top. Then screwed into the transom in several places. When I pulled mine it made a world of difference for repairs/cleaning. I am just curious how similar are our models.

The idea my Dad and I came up with for bracing had some pieces flexible plastic strips from a Home Depot or Lowes. Add some 4200 to keep it on the tank. I'll post pics from when I do it as just a suggestion. I figure that the plastic won't rot and will help keep the tank snug.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Seems like a good place to drop this & this ;) on installing an aluminum tank

These maybe of some use as well:
Fuel_Tank.jpg

Fuel_Tank_new.jpg

Both of these are for OEM boat builders. But may prove helpful to us backyard builders too............

barato2

Commander

JB, you beat me to it on that tank install tutorial. that kinda was enough to put me off alum tanks for below deck use in a smaller boat.

i assume the alum hull would more or less take care of any issues with grounding the fuel filler? but should i be thinking in terms of grounding a plastic tank too?

the EPA stuff looks somewhat logical and not too much of a hassle to live with once it's installed. PITA to plumb in and no doubt $1-200. but i understand why......my portable gas cans give off a lot of fumes when i crack the vent screw. i breathe enough MTBE just fueling the truck.....

astor

Both of these are for OEM boat builders. But may prove helpful to us backyard builders too............

Not a bad idea, but I just did a cursory look at some boat supply websites and couldn't find most of the components available. I like the idea of the carbon canister and the dual vents, and the fill shutoff etc, could probably use a carbon canister from a car.

jbcurt00

Staff member

1. Delphi Marine Evaporative Emissions Canisters

delphi.com/manufacturers/other/powertrain/marine/
    Delphi Marine Evaporative Emissions Canisters product profile. ... in the vapors are attracted to, and stored on, the surfaces of the carbon bed inside the canister.
  2. Attwood Marine's Carbon Canister System - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xc3L6KOrU4Jul 27, 2011 - 1 min - Uploaded by bevelwise
    Learn about Attwood Marine's fuel systems product, the Carbon Canister System, for diurnal emission ...

More videos for marine carbon canister ?
  3. Components for Carbon Canister Systems : Components for EPA ...

www.attwoodmarine.com/store/category/.../carbon-canister-systems
    Attwood Marine produces marine hardware and accessories including Swivl-Eze pedestals, boat trailers, marine cleaners, and bimini tops.
  4. PERKO Inc. - Fills & Tank Vents - Marine Carbon Canister

www.perko.com ? Catalog ? Fills & Tank Vents
    PERKO Figure No. 0485 - Marine Carbon Canister.
  5. Back - PERKO Fuel Systems

www.perkofuelsystems.com/system_partner/
    Perko is the exclusive distributor of DELPHI marine canisters. Our partner, Delphi, has been manufacturing carbon canisters for over 40 years. They supply many ...
  6. Cat. No. 0485 Series Marine Evaporative Emissions Carbon Canister

[PDF] www.perkofuelsystems.com/.../Fig_0485_Canister_Instructions.pdf
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    Marine Evaporative Emissions Carbon Canister. Installation Instructions. Note: Failing to follow these instructions when installing the evaporative emissions ...
  7. EPA Evaporative Emissions Regulations for Boat Fuel Systems

[DOC] marinecertified.org/lib/docs/.../gr/.../Evaporative_Emission_FAQs.do...
    File Format: Microsoft Word - Quick View
    Boat builders will generally install either a carbon canister or a 1 psi pressure relief valve in line with the fuel tank vent. The marine canister manufacturer will ...
  8. Control of Emissions from Marine SI and Small SI Engines, Vessels ...

[PDF] www.epa.gov/nonroad/marinesi-equipld/420r08014-chp05.pdf
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    in determining standards for nonroad engines and vehicles including marine vessels. ...... demonstrate the durability of carbon canisters in marine applications.
  9. Patent US20100083938 - Marine Carbon Canister - Google Patents

www.google.com/patents/US20100083938
    A fuel tank vent system includes a carbon canister and an engine fuel system coupled to the carbon canister. Fuel vapor discharged from a fuel tank included in ...

10. Scrubbing VOCs from bunkers helps clean the air - WorkBoat.com

www.workboat.com/newsdetail.aspx?id=9600
    Mar 23, 2011 ? The canister systems are commonly used in refineries and other industrial ... Unlike the passive, carbon-pellet system, Harley M

astor

no problem finding all sorts of info on the subject and info on the parts. But no boat part retailers are selling all these parts for DIYer's
Putting an evaporative recovery system and fill shut off system makes a lot of sense, if parts are available and affordable. I see the side of my boat near the vent has faded paint below the vent. Is it because of vapors or fuel overflows through the vent while filling, either way its not good for the environment. And if I could by a couple of components for less than $50 total I would definitely do it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Honestly, I didn't read any of those, that's why I didn't comment, just posted the info....

Might look for retailers based in CA, they'd probably be the most likely to sell to the public

astor

Life seems to find a way to slow me down, didn't really touch the boat much this past week.
I was able to score some Nom. 3/4 and 1/2" Arauco plywood at the local Menards this past sunday.

Got the rear deck and transom cap, removed and now am amazed that this held up the 135Hp Mercury.
file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

can see the cracks or missing pieces on the knee brace. Definitely going to add 2 more additional supports to the transom.
file-4.jpg

file-5.jpg

Got the transom cutout and glued up last night with titebond III glue