81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Thanks Skinny. My family is ready to get it finished too.

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frisco,
Great job! It looks awesome! I just found this thread yesterday and spent 6.5 hours reading it all the way thru...finished about 2:30am. Like a good novel - couldn't quit reading! I just bought my first boat the end of last year and except for the trial run didn't get it out on the water. It is definately a project boat but you have given me lots of inspiration. The videos and pics have been great! Good Luck wrapping things up!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
Like the others stated, great job on the video. That motor looks sweat sitting in place.
I'm glad you got the snow, we just got rain and I'll take tahat any day over snow.
Bob

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey frisco that weather is crazy here in south florida today was sunny around 70 but very windy i took the boat out after my carburetor installation yesterday, and part of the day yesterday and this morning was trying to tune up the carb, (WASNT EASY) but finnaly the boat see the water today. you almost there...

Friscoboater

Captain

Welcome to iboats fauxmiester! I am glad that you enjoyed my thread. I hope that it will help other people like it has you. When I start getting lazy about doing a video I see a post like yours and it gets me started again.

I purchased a new camera today, but I do not think I am going to keep it. The JVC that I use is a pain in the rear to use and does not take the best quality video. So I went out a got one of those HD two in one cameras. it looks like a little camera but shoots HD also. Well... it really does not do that good either. It does not focus half the time when in video mode, and it takes forever to take a picture. There is a reason they have dedicated camcorders. I do like the higher quality video it outputs though. I might get the HD version of my panasonic (they fixed the file issue that mine has) and sell my old one on ebay.

You guys be the judge. Do you like the higher quality, or does it make a difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVdHmmvJqPg

sprintst

Commander

The video quality looks great. I've got to stop using the phone to take pics and start using my camera :)

That's dedication with the heater and the staying up all night but it needs to be done.

Crazy Texas snow. Might want to check to see if the earth is still in it's orbit. I just noticed the location. I sent a guy a set of scope rings I sold on e-bay a while back to Frisco.

Friscoboater

Captain

What a difference a day makes. It is sunny and 60 degrees here and will be 75 tomorrow.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

hey sprintst, those weren't the same rings that John Candy sold in Plane,Trains, and Automobiles was it.:D just kidding

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have had the same fluctuations as well...70 on Fri. - Sat & Sun. snow, ice, and 28 - then back up to 50 today with forcast of hi 60s the rest of the week. Spring in the Ozarks! Thanks for the welcome. I am excited about getting started as well as a little scared but I work with all kinds of products and processes in my business with decorative painting - venetian plasters, concrete overlays, and multi-layered finishes for walls, cabinets, and furniture so I am sure I can learn. Have a great day and good luck.

hey frisco sweet boat man! i had a 71 glastron jet boat that my family loved... just was looking through some of your vids and ran by your aristo vid... just thought i'd throw some info on you. its basically the japanese version of the lexus gs... the cool thing about it was they offered the twin turbo 2jzgte supra engine in it wich is capable of 800hp on the stock motor. rare car lucky you got to see one. any ways cool videos of the boat hope you get her in the water soon.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Frisco,
The video did appear to be somewhat sharper. I'm still using the same puter but it did appear better.
I'm ready for the warm days.
Keep the video and pic's coming.
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep the snow. We may get some tonight, temp has been dropping all day.

The video quality was pretty good. I've been looking for a camera as well. I like the Carl-Zeiss lenses that Sony uses. My still camera has one and I love it. The only problem is that a good Sony HD video camera is going to be at least $400. Don't know if I'm ready for that.

Bummer on the outdrive ding. That's gotta suck at this point. Just take a deep breath move forward. We'll try to keep Murphy at bay.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for the input guys.

This camera actually is a combination point and shoot and HD video. It is the Sony H55. I am not sure I really love it though, as video is not in stereo, and it seems to really want to control how you take the picture too much. I guess it will work for the wife though. She once took a bunch of pictures in "macro" mode when we were on vacation. That was 100 or so pictures that were blurry because the camera thought you were really close to the subject. This new one it totally automatic. I am just having a real hard time with the stereo thing.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm with you there...

When you set up Home theater systems for a living. . . . .

Mono just don't cut it!:D

Friscoboater

Captain

Yep. I think this camera is going back. I can wait another year to see if they get better.

sprintst

Commander

I wish they were. I could use the cash :)

hey sprintst, those weren't the same rings that John Candy sold in Plane,Trains, and Automobiles was it.:D just kidding

That's the thing with the cameras. Something new and better will be out every month.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One question. When you are aligning the engine, how easy should it be to push in the alignment bar? You will see in the video how much pressure i have to use. It goes it but you give it a little wiggle. From the grease marks on the shaft it is rubbing on the bottom. You cannot adjust the rear up or down, just the front. How would I get it better?

I am having a similar problem. The tool goes in smooth as silk to about 2" deep in the splines, then I have to nudge it in the rest of the way by taping it with my hand. When I go to pull the tool out it comes right out smooth as silk. I think something is on my splines causing the tool to hang going in, but slide out very easily once it is in.

Friscoboater

Captain

I am going to try and fine tune later this week to make sure. I think mine is too tight.

I am also not sure on how tight I should make the water pump bolts. It says to make it 25 inch pounds but I cannot find a place that sells a torque wrench that small. Once I tighten the bolts the dive is hard to turn.

Friscoboater

Captain

I exchanged the Sony Camera for a Samsung TL240. It is a much better camera than the Sony and shoots the HD video in Stereo. I shot a video last night about some of the goodies I got for the boat. I wanted to get some work done, but mother nature had a different pan. One big storm.

Make sure you select the HD Option

Can the mods add the Youtube plugin for this Bulletin board?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6A5GiKq7Vs

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

good job on the camera. Keep in mind that everyday is one day closer to weather that will be nice almost everyday. spring=>SUMMER