81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

You have to keep adding wax or it will get hazy. The wetsanding will remove the first few layers of gelcoat and make the surface smooth again. Then you have to get progressively finer with the sandpaper to bring back the shine.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
I was walking around the shop today and found something you might like. I went back to post # 436 and looked at you port side panel were you talked about the panel being missing that little tray. What do you think of this.
IMG00226.jpg

IMG00225.jpg

No harm, no foul if your not interested just thought it might be a good fit.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

That is pretty cool. Where did you find it? I already have a drink holder but that could double as a cubby too.

So this what I have been up to the past few days. I have wet sanded and polished like mad. The flake was a really pretty royal blue at one time, but turned a shade of green over the years. I found out that is you sand long enough the green goes away. I still have not hit the flake yet, and WOW what a difference!! I have sanded the lower part of the hull, but I still need to take the buffer to it. My whole body hurts right now.

Before

DSC09826.jpg

After!

DSC09834.jpg

DSC09836.jpg

DSC09835.jpg

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beautiful! I wish I could get that color on mine.

I actually think my boat is painted. I'll find out soon.

parrisw

Ensign

That is pretty cool. Where did you find it? I already have a drink holder but that could double as a cubby too.

So this what I have been up to the past few days. I have wet sanded and polished like mad. The flake was a really pretty royal blue at one time, but turned a shade of green over the years. I found out that is you sand long enough the green goes away. I still have not hit the flake yet, and WOW what a difference!! I have sanded the lower part of the hull, but I still need to take the buffer to it. My whole body hurts right now.

Before

DSC09826.jpg

After!

DSC09834.jpg

Nice!!

Are you wet sanding?

Friscoboater

Captain

Hardcore wetsanding. I started out with 220 on my DA sander then I went to 500 by hand, then to 1000 by hand, then I used a white pad and some course polish, then I used a grey pad and some fine polish. All that is left is Wax.

It order to get back to a level surface that is what I had to do. I have done this alot on cars and I know what to look for. I have taken off so much material, I have to make this last.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks great Frisco, keep up the good work! You can come up here and help me block out the primer on the bottom side of my boat in a month or so! :D

Friscoboater

Captain

Bwaaaaahahahaha!!!!! That is funny! I would rather install ten engines than mess with this stuff.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wish mine looked that good. I am getting sick of putting down filler and sanding it off, repeat, again and again....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I wish mine looked that good. I am getting sick of putting down filler and sanding it off, repeat, again and again....

I hate to say it, but it really is like that goofy movie, wax on, wax off! And most of it ends up in the floor!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
Glad to hear the sanding and buffing is getting you the finish you wanted. It really looks good in the pic's.
As for the cup holder, it goes in the center armrest in a car. Probably find one is a salvage yard or I could ship you one. We make the armrest it goes in.
Once again good job on the paint.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks guys!!

Bob, thanks for the offer but you gave me an idea. I am going to hit a salvage yard tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice that you could save your blue flake!!! Ours was already wetsanded and now if you touch it too hard the flake just comes off like glitter. Doesnt matter seeing as how we are painting anyways but it did play a major part in if we were going to paint or just shine her up.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Funny you should say that, I was just thinking a center console in the middle of the back seat would be a great storage area!

Friscoboater

Captain

I saw that video on youtube, and I loved it, but when I used a similar product is was streaky.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Is the woody done with vinyl? Looks great,

Friscoboater

Captain

Well half the boat is sanded buffed and waxed, and I am really happy with the results. Now I just have to repeat on the other side. Greeeaaaat! Fun Times!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

just think of it as great exercise! You can come up tomorrow evening and help me flip the boat if you want some more!