81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

sprintst

Commander
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Looking good. It's must be gratifying to see the boat almost ready to roll.

How is the Durabak holding up? I know it's not sunbaked yet but does it feel as tough as those sample strips? The sample strips feel indestructable. I was looking online at a product called Kiwigrip but if Durabak is as tough as advertised I'll stay with that.

Friscoboater

Captain

the stuff is hard as a rock and I have dropped a drill bit down on it. I really sanded the heck out of the deck so it has alot to grip too. It does hold dirt though, but that is to be expected.

sprintst

Commander

Excellent. I was more concerned about the durability so that"s good to know. I'll stick with the Durabak. I'm looking at using it as well to do the inside bow area instead of carpet. I'll be using a couple of gallons for sure.

Nice videos. More time consuming for you but a great help to everyone. Keep 'em coming.

I got a bit burnt out as well trying to work ot and do the boat. I tend to obsess until I get someting finished and off my to do list. It's nice to see the boat going in the right direction so there is something to look forward to.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also I am having Second thoughts about the color of the deck paint. I was thinking of using the cream to match the hull, but the interior is grey. So what do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

I havent gotten to the end of the tread yet but if it were me I would go grey it does not show "dirty" as badly.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsGlasstream
friscoboater,
I'm sure that your kids will remember the days that dad spent with them on the water and many others just like you remember your grandfathers.
Mountain_Man,
I have thought about your signature, boating happiness is being covered from the glass grinding dust.
Bob

I like that Bob, can I use it?

Sure if you want to.
Bob

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

friscoboater,
Great work.
I couldn't get the video to load either, I thought it was just me.
Bob

just go back and click on the link again it did that me the other day and that was all i had to do to get the vidio started.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Got a question guys. I just got my new attwood turbo 3000 blower in the mail. Is that enough to vent the bilge. I mean it really moves the air, but for the price (13.00) am I stupid not to use two?

Wow Frisco, thats a real good deal! heck a second one at that price would be a great deal, not sure you really need it tho

the painted dash parts look great! the whole boat is coming along super duper nice!

With youtube ya hafta let the videos "process" for a while after they are uploaded, youtube compresses and converts em and such.....takes a while for large long videos etc.....

Friscoboater

Captain

I started doing the little details today. I took of the Glastron emblems and refurbished them and scrubbed off the pinstripe glue from the hull.

This brings me to a questions. I was planning on using polyglow on the hull, but I dabbled in auto painting for a while and I have all the supplies to re-clear this thing. Do you guys think I should do that? Can I use an automotive clear or should I use clear gelcoat?

I am open for suggestions.

Video from today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp71LxZDP7w

And some pictures

CIMG0642.jpg

CIMG0644.jpg

CIMG0645.jpg

CIMG0646.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
Once again great video, Those name plates turned out pretty nice. FYI, you can also buy plastic welding kits at HF. Just for future ref.
Great job and keep it coming.
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another great video. I wish I had some emblems to restore. Mine had already been stripped. Even the X-19 emblem is gone. My upholsterer restored a Glastron and said he had over sized Glastron decals cut from Prism decal material. Looked pretty good.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

frisco,

For what it's worth, I used a product called Vertglas 4 years ago. It took some elbow grease, but it looked like new when finished. It's a polymer clear coat. It lasts 2-4 years. No waxing. I plan to sand and polish this year.

Your rig is looking good by the way. I'm still cutting and grinding.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Frisco I would stay away from clear coating it if you can get it shined up with something like polyglow. Noting is going to be as durable as the original gelcoat.

Friscoboater

Captain

After tons of reading, I think I am with you Arch. I have also found that Future floor polish is the same thing as Vertglas and poliglo. What it seams that those companies do is bundle everything you need in one box and that is what you pay for. I like their entrepreneurship. I am going to get some Future from Home Depot today and see what it looks like on a small section.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Removing the oxidation and keeping it off is an endless battle.

So how are you going to use the Future?

Adam

Friscoboater

Captain

So far the future polish is a bust. I have tried 5 different methods and cannot get the right finish. I will get back to you.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
Just a suggestion. I plan to lightly sand and the use a finesse compound to bring the shine back. I'm not 100% sure but I tried it with just a polish and it started looking pretty good. I think with a super fine compound (like 1500 grit) and then a buffing compound I will get the finish I want and you want.
Just my 2 cent worth.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

It looks like I am going to have to do it that way. The cream color on the boat is not the problem. It is still really shiny. It is the blue flake. It has a green hue to it that only comes off with 400grit, and about 10 minutes of hard sanding. I did a small section and man does it look great. I started with the 400, then went to 1000, then 1500 and then started with the power buffer and man does it shine like a new penny. I color sanded many a car, but I was just hoping not to have to do this, as it is ALOT of work. The good news is that once you do it, al you need to do is keep a good coat of wax on it, and you are golden.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
That's what I have found over the years too. That's why I suggested it, but you already started it. Good luck my friend.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I tried that last summer and it looked great but then by the end of summer it was hazey. Kind of like a red car once its oxidized it seems to never stay shiney. I didnt sand it but just buffed maybe sanding first will make it last alot longer.