81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I will post some pictures tomorrow. It got too dark before I got home.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well here it is. As I was laying in bed last night I was thinking about whether or not to destroy this boat. I wonder is there is someone that, like me, loves doing this sort of thing.

The engine is toast and it looks like it needs a lower unit housing, and it needs a deck, stringers and a transom. Should I part it out or clean out the trash and find someone that would love it, and save another Glastron from the grave.

Or is it too far gone?

DSC09845.jpg

DSC09849.jpg

DSC09850.jpg

DSC09848.jpg

DSC09847.jpg

Cracked head.

DSC09851.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well mine didn't have floors, seats, motor or really anything else.....just a hull, and took on the challenge.......but I have also questioned my sanity! :D

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After all the great work you have done on your boat you could just keep the second & fix it up. You have all the tricks figured out. Great job.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It sure would be cool to convert mine to a 350 :)

I wonder if this manifolds/risers and or outdrive are in good shape? That is where most of the money for this boat is going to come from if you do part it out oh and the trailer. I would love to restore it once I got mine done, but next boat is going to have to be an inboard 84-89 supra...

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe take what you need, then donate the rest to charity and take the tax write off.

slimmons1998

Cadet

friscoboater,
I just bought a 1983 Glastron SX 190 for an amazing deal. Everything is original and looks like its only a few years old. Although the interior needs to freshened up, my question to you is......do you know of any place that sells interior kits for these boats? or did you re-do the panels and seats yourself?

Friscoboater

Captain

Slimmons

You need to post some pictures. All of the interior is going to be custom made. As far as I know there is not anyone repopping interiors for these boats.

Well I tore into this boat today and man... what a mess. It is so rotten I could not bring myself to take pictures. I got alot of the parts I needed and I will have the engine out this weekend for the rest. The block is cracked and so are the heads, so those are out. The trim pump works great, and that will bing some cash on ebay.

I think I might do the donation thing if I cannot move it on CL when I am done. It has a dilly trailer under it, but is missing one of the fenders. What should I ask for the trailer?

Jay

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
I would not condemn it, until I gave someone a chance to take it. Take what you can use and sell then offer it up to anyone that wants it. We all may be nuts but we have a lot of great company. :p:D:cool:
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

If I had a place to stash it I would keep it. my HOA is going to start griping soon. But man it is rotten!

slimmons1998

Cadet
Last edited by a moderator:

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I have had my eye on this thread for some time now, but I don't post much in the iBoats forum. I tend to prefer anonymity, but sometimes I do have something to say.

As for your boat disposal problem, I have seen this website recommended by others in the iBoats forum. I don?t have personal experience with this outfit, but it does seem to be a good deal. I have book marked the website for the time when I need to get rid of something. The service is primarily for automobiles, but they will assist with disposing of a boat. The website is: http://www.vehicleremovalservice.com/faq.php

This thread caught my attention because my boat is a very similar model with an outboard. To be exact, my boat is a 1978 Glastron SSV-188 with a 140 hp Johnson. For the fun of it I am posting pics below. Although the boat is 32 years old, it is still solid structurally, and looks great cosmetically. I follow these threads because I fear that a rebuild is inevitable, but for now I exercise a great deal prevention to keep the boat in good shape.

Boat.jpg

IMGP0913.jpg

Good luck with your rebuild. I look forward to the on water pics you are getting closer

Friscoboater

Captain

Slimmons,

That is a sweet looking boat man. Sam color as mine. Check that transom good. Mine sounded solid but She took on water when we were under way. One of the shops around here said that these old Glastrons are known for this as they do not "skin" the transoms with a sheet of glass. They only come up about 6 inches off the hull and stop. Water can get behind it easy. I am not saying yours is rotten, but I would check.

Aqua,

I looked at a boat like yours just before I found my blue one. I love the lines, but the wife hates outboard engines. So we got an I/O.

slimmons1998

Cadet

any helpful hints on how to check the transom? I am very new to boating.

Friscoboater

Captain

I our boats the foam really kinda hinders you getting back there. I used a long piece of re-bar and stuck it to the side of the engine and poked around all over the back. I did not have to poke long and it sunk into dry rotted wood.

Here are some videos I have been promising.

Video 1 - The Future Floor Polish (poliglow) fail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH2v6bXxv0M

Video 2 - Sanding and polishing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLTLuXTZ-2M

Video 3 - Random interruption. The radiator in my van blew up, and this me replacing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6nVu-Rhkc

23SX

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, just thought I would chime in about checking the transom. I don't know everything but at the boat shop I worked at for the 3 seasons as an apprentice I learned alot. A good way to check is get a cheap or old flathead screwdriver and grind it to a point, tap firmly on the inside of the transom and you can see if its soft or totally gone but how easy it goes thru. If it doesn't thru then its solid as a rock!

Tapping on the inside is a good way to check but if the tool you're using has too wide of a point may make it seem solid just due to its wider surface area. You can patch any small holes made from this, just my .02 worth.

Frisco, the boat is turning out great! Thanks for posting all the pics, I enjoyed looking at all of them!

23SX

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
The boat is turning out great. As for the starboard side not being perfect, just keep that side away from the shoreline. Ha! HA! :D
Just kidding, it all looks great and I liked the video's.
Keep them rolling
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Well I got alot done today on the donor boat. It is not yielding as many parts as I would like, but hey, I got my emblems I wanted. The outdrive and gimble ought to worth something.

So I got the top popped and slid forward so I can get to the engine and yank it out, and when I was ready, the engine hoist gave up the ghost. It will not pump to save it's life. I tried changing the oil, and checking the seals, and nothing. I guess I will have to buy a new ram tomorrow.

DSC09856.jpg

DSC09857.jpg

DSC09858.jpg

DSC09860.jpg

DSC09861.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Frisco, sounds like the evil spirits that haunted my engine hoist got on I-35 and headed your way! Sorry to hear you are in the market for a ram, hopefully your new one will work without you "fixing it" like I had too! I love brand new stuff that doesn't work! The color sanding and buff job look great!