81 Checkmate Restoration!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: 81 Checkmate Restoration!

80 today...... but another cold front coming thru this weekend, mid 60s.
Patience is a virtue!

This will give me a chance to get everything else done with the other boat..... and the yard work , The Wife will be happy:joyous:
She has a honey - do - list from here to internity.

Thanks all for the help folks........Ill be back

jmmacky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great work with the spraying and I completely agree with your colour choice! I wish I could spray mine again now with the experience I gained from spraying it the first time.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great. Keep it up. It seems Checkmate may be closing their doors. It may be up to guys like us to keep the Checkmate legacy alive.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Peeled the tape back yesterday...... Not bad but my tapeing skills could improve.

0502131841.jpg0502131847.jpg0502131846a.jpg0502131846.jpg

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Now the bad......some of the paint came off with the tape. Ugh!
The small spot is on the side just below the stripe.
The other spots are on the transom area.

Im guessing i did not clean these areas good enough before i painted?
Now im worried the first time down the lake the paints gona peel off :mad:

What is the best way to fix it?

View attachment 192253View attachment 192254

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What kinda tape did you use? If it wasn't the green frog tape.............it shoulda been.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I used the frog tape on most...but it was wider than the blue...so i used the blue in the curved areas. I think thats were i made the mistake.
When i was putting it on i thought the green was alot stickier than the blue....but when i pulled it off the green came off alot easier than the blue.

Take Note - Listen to your elders......they dont suggest things for no reason.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Blue tape is the devil. When I painted mine, I used the green for the crucial color transition but used the cheaper blue to cover up the rub rail and what not. When it came time to take it off, the green was off in 2 minutes but it was a 20 minute job to get the stupid blue tape off which rips into a zillion pieces.

zool

Captain

"Now the bad......some of the paint came off with the tape. Ugh!
The small spot is on the side just below the stripe.
The other spots are on the transom area.

Im guessing i did not clean these areas good enough before i painted?
Now im worried the first time down the lake the paints gona peel off :mad:

What is the best way to fix it?"

I cant view the attachments, but to fix it, you can retape the bad sections, then put some color on the chipped area with an artist brush, a little higher build then the rest. When you remove the sections of tape, use a razor to cut the bond, then when you wet sand, hit those areas 1st to bring it level with the finish, then proceed to wet sand the rest including over the repaired spots.....after its buffed out, you shouldnt notice it.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paint adhesion issues. Resand and prep again and respray.

zool

Captain

Thats contamination on the black, you can fix the yellow area like I said, the black should be decontaminated with wax/grease remover, then sanded, then recleaned again, then reprayed.....the rest could still be ok....dont panic yet

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

This is my first time painting something big other than a bracket or car frame. Im learning!
Like using the small 3/8" tape that Woodenglass posted.. just dont get in a hurry like i did.

Zool - should i sand those areas with 220 grit first to remove anymore loose paint? Then go ahead with what you said

zool

Captain

You need to clean it before you sand, if you sand it 1st, you will push your problem into the primer, and it will come back and bite you again. It looks like a localized problem, and in an area where intricate taping was done. Either something on your hand/glove or whatever may have got on the primer surface. The other thing it could have been was you sanded that area too fine, and didnt leave anything for the paint to bite into. Since your primer didnt peel, your problem isnt in the glass, but on top of the primer, which is a good thing.

Get an aerosol can of any pre prep dewaxer like this

Eastwood Low VOC Pre Paint Painting Prep Aerosol 11oz - Newegg.com

then sand it to smooth out into the existing paint, then apply the cleaner again...when you use a dewaxer/degreaser, you spray it on wet, dont let it dry, just wipe in one direction and throw the paper towel away, use a new piece for each wipe, it lifts the contamination up into the wet liquid, if you rub it, it will just get back on the surface.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Thanks for the tip...

You know as you said it could be to fine....when you touch it there is a glassey feel to it on the primmer...no ruffness.

I think its local.....becouse if it was all over the boat it would have peeled up everywhere i had the tape.

Ive learned alot on all this......and would do alot of things different. I was just looking at Frisco's new project and that thing is sweet.....
He has become a professional at restoring boats.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just found your project, nice work so far. I will be waiting for the final paint and pan out of the paint so I can get a full view. From what I can see, the paint scheme and colors with the boats lines looks great. And with a 350, it will most likely go as fast as it looks.

zool

Captain

Thats the good thing about a place like this, whenever you put a group of people together, each with their own inherent skills, sharing ideas, everyone elevates...

Ive been on a fruitless search for an early small Donzi to redo, but rarely are they affordable....but there seems to be Checkmates around just begging to be reborn...theres 3 or 4 in my area now under 3k on CL. After checking out yours and redstrats.. It may be in my not too distant future....;)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

A donzi would be awsome.... Love the lines of those boats, they are so beefy looking that they just scream fast... But those dam things are so expensive. Even for a 25 yr old boat they want 10 grand.

That would be cool to see another checkmate rebuild here on iboats.

I wish mine was a closed bow...but its what i have so i have to deal with it..... Maybe over the next winter i can come up with a cover. What got me hooked was haveing that V-8 sitten in back behind me. The first time i drove it i was grinning from ear to ear! Ive always been a S.B. Chevy fan.

I seen a few over the past 6 months here on C.L. but they were all with the outboard motors.......But that would be cool also.

Good luck on your find Zool.........