Supreme Mariner
Re: 81 Checkmate Restoration!

Nope, TCP Global online does.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
tcplogo-sm.JPG
Brand Spray Gun Nozzle Sets
for G6600 Series HVLP Spray Guns

(Needle, Nozzle and Air Cap Only)[/FONT]
Stainless Steel Spray Atomizing Sets that fit all TCPglobal Brand G6600 Series HVLP Spray Guns
(The 2 Full Size Spray Guns in our TCP G7000 3 Spray Gun Kit are G6600 Series Guns)

Common TCPglobal Brand G6600 Series HVLP Spray Gun Nozzle Size Applications:
(Click on the Nozzle Size to Purchase)

• The 1.3mm Fluid Tip is Ideal for the Optimal Atomization of Basecoats, Clearcoats and other Light to Medium Viscosity Materials.
• The 1.4mm Fluid Tip is Ideal for the Optimal Atomization of Basecoats, Clearcoats and other Light to Medium Viscosity Materials.
• The 1.5mm Fluid Tip works for Topcoats, Basecoats, Clearcoats, Sealers, Primers and other Light to Medium Viscosity Materials.
• The 1.8mm and 2.0mm Fluid Tips are excellent for Single and 2K Primers, Oil Base, Latex, and other Medium to Heavy Viscosity Coatings.
• The 2.5mm Fluid Tip will enable you to spray thicker materials such as [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extreme High Build or Polyester Primers, Thick Enamels, Latex Paints, Chip
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Guard, Metal Flakes, Gel Coats, Etc...[/FONT][/FONT]​

zool

Captain

Harbor Freight has guns with 1.4mm and 1.5mm that will most likely cost less than just a new nozzle with shipping...you could keep yours for priming, and get the purple handled one for $13.99 with a 1.5mm or the chrome/purple ones with a 1.4mm for $39.00.

The purple handled gun at HF is a knock off of better known guns..

The Enforcer

Cadet

I frequent over here often but somehow I missed this one. Great build on the Checkmate!!! After reading thru your thread you asked about closing in the bow. One of our members on the checkmate forum built a removable bow cover for his pulsare, check it out. You should stop by and share your resto with the guys on the checkmate forum!! :) Btw I'm one of the moderators over there under a different name than this one. :) http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22530

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Update...

I bought the Harbor freight.....$13.99 gun and some more black paint. But i am having a hard time finding the hardener!

Our Tractor supply does not have the one Woodnglass posted....
H.D. - No go....... Menards - No go
Sherwin Williams - No go.. but the guy told me to buy (Japan) or something likr that... and it speeds up the dry time? Not sure about that one?

O-Reilly's - Has Master -Pro refinishing hardener for acrylic enamel....Called the wet look

Question #1 ..... Can i use this from O-Reilly's for Rustoluem?

Question #2......... How long should i wait to peel the frog tape after i paint the Yellow?

Thanks for the comments Enforcer....I been over a few times asking questions... love the site!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Edit......When i called Tractor supply they said they didnt have the hardener......went up there and they had 6 cans!

Majic - Catalyst Hardener.....Use with oil base enamels. :joyous:

Maybe someone can give me the time alotment on the tape......Looking for amount of cure time before you peel the tape off to leave a fine edge line?

Thanks

zool

Captain

pull the tape just after it flashes, when its tack free...pull it back upon itself....slightly away from the new finish. If you have the time and patience, you can razor the edge 1st..not too deep!

zool

Captain

If he bought the purple Sata clone..it should come with 1.5mm..which is about right for Rusto enamel..1.3mm would be the minimum, its a heavy paint...I think he should thin it a little more, 20-25% is what most do with it..I think he only bumped from 5% to 10%.....

It doesnt atomize well but will lay a nice coat of enamel...not to good for urethane tho.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

yeah I thinned mine 25% but I had a 1.3mm tip

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_5183.jpg Nice work and good information being shared here. I painted my CM with Algrip but I'm not happy with the amount of orange peel. I'll follow along. Still learning

zool

Captain

ha!..peel or not, that MX is sweet..... and awlgrip isnt in the same room as RO..

btw, did you lay the white over the orange or vice versa..and without clear?...if so, how did it lap?.... I gotta lay ss urethane with 3 colors on my project......but I got hull breaks to hide all but the transom lines...

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I laid the white over the orange. There is an edge but it's pretty clean. I razored it carefully in spots and bumped it a little with thinner before it completely cured. Clear over white wasn't recommended.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Update...No pics yet

I the new gun has a 1.5 Tip.........Can't expect much for $13.99, but did ok for what im doing.
Trial and error with the new gun??The paint mix is critical to get the spay pattern right.

10% thinned - way to thick??not that it wont spray, but uses alot of paint.
Went with Woodenglass post?. ? quart paint, 1 oz hardener, 4 oz of thinner ( Acetone). That worked well

So I took it a step further and went with 6 oz of thinner?.that was the best spray pattern I could get.

Now I have 3 coats on the bottom and 2 coats up the sides?.
Last night I masked off the black areas to spray the Yellow topside tonight.

P.S. Time and patience goes along way when painting??masking is for the birds tooooo. Id rather weld something!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Another late night 2 am.....Sprayed yellow on the top side......

Used a ? quart paint only on first coat as Woodenglass suggested.

90% humidity
Mix ? ? quart (2 cups) paint?.. 1 oz Hardener??6 oz Thinner ( Acetone )

Resume tonight?. 2nd coat?..Wet sand with Scotch brite pad and tack cloth with Acetone

0429132252a.jpg0429132250.jpg0429132253.jpg0430130137.jpg0430130138.jpg

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Shot 2nd coat last night!
Going to spray 3rd coat tonight.

Question #1 - You spray the top first then move to the side/edges next....then when you look at the top you just sprayed you see over-spray. It looks like a dull/flat finish...... Is there a way to prevent this or will it buff out.

Question #2 - How long do i wait before i can do anything with the paint?

Qestion #3 - Some advice on sanding/buffing steps........Grit, rubbing compond ect.

0430132245.jpg0430132247.jpg0430132247a.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Start in the middle of the bow and work towards the edges to avoid overspray. Paint will fully cure in about 2 weeks in 70? temps. Don't do anything till then. Get as much direct sunlight on it as possible during that period.

I did not wet sand mine. I just buffed it but if you want to the process is something like this. If you've never done it it can be tricky so be advised.
Wet sand using "Wet Water" (put some dish soap in the water just a few drops) starting @ 1000g and go to 2000 g. Don't get to aggressive. Keep flushing with water constantly. 3M Boat Polish and Wax after that with buffer set @ 800 to 1200 rpm.

Sunglasses are recommended to keep from going Blind from the Glare!!!!:eek::D

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Thanks WOOD for the tips... Ill read up on it!

As far as letting it sit in the sun....... That would be great but Im in a Predicament.... My boat is in the garage on stands.

How long should i wait till i put it on the trailer to get it outside?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If your temps ar in the 60's to 70's I'd wait a minimum of 2-3 weeks. Without the temps it's gunna take some time.

zool

Captain

Looks like its coming along fine, dont sweat the overspray and peel, it will come out in the process.

When you wet sand it, make sure you step up the grit in small increments, meaning dont just jump from 800 or 1000 to 1500. 1500 wont fully remove the scratches left by 1000 without removing too much paint. Start out with 800 or 1000, then jump to 1200, then 1500, then to 2000, and dont try to remove the peel too quickly, you only want to sacrifice about a coat or less thru the whole process.

You can use a squeegy from time to time to check your progress. When you start sanding, it will look like youre ruining your finish, but it will be fine.

Even the best painters get some peel, overspray, and even runs....they just dont call them runs, they call it "flow Guage" ;)...its an ego thing.

Dont worry about the cut and buff part yet, you should wait weeks before you put a wheel on it.

3m imperial wet/dry is good stuff, and worth the extra bucks, imo