77 Skeeter Restoration

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration

Do you have backer plates for the Bow Eye and Tie Downs?

I have small ones that came with the eyes - the eyes are dbl-shaft and the backer plate spans both shafts (about 2"x3/4" overall) - is that enough, or do you think I need something more substantial?

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have large 3/16 to 1/4 inch stainless steel plates backing mine. Not saying its not overkill, but sure is nice to have the peace of mind.

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the way I have some spare stainless if you want me to cut you off a piece that way you can make your own let me know....

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have large 3/16 to 1/4 inch stainless steel plates backing mine. Not saying its not overkill, but sure is nice to have the peace of mind.

Thanks sevanseriesta for the offer - ill have to take a look around the garage, I know that my father-in-law has a bunch of scrap sitting around too that I'm sure I could draw from:) I agree totally with your philosophy - better safe than sorry!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you're planning on Tubing and Skiing then I'd recommend a 3" x 3" stainless backer if possible.

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wood what do you normally do on the outside or waterside of the hull for the eyes. Do you put any backers on those?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, just swab the holes with 3M 5200 and coat the bolts then clean it off with Acetone. Backer plates get all the torque.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're planning on Tubing and Skiing then I'd recommend a 3" x 3" stainless backer if possible.

What gauge do you recommend - is 16 or 12ga enough, or should it be thicker?

Nope, just swab the holes with 3M 5200 and coat the bolts then clean it off with Acetone. Backer plates get all the torque.

I just picked up the 5200 - I'm going to head over tomorrow and mount the eyes!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd use 12, you could even use 1/4 " aluminum plate.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd use 12, you could even use 1/4 " aluminum plate.

Thx WOG, Found some 11ga stainless, ordered and should get here by this weekend...while we're talking about transom fixtures - I would like to add a transom plate - what gauge of steel should I be thinking? The motor is a 140hp Johnson V4, so it's plenty heavy...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out and started to gather some supplies for re-doing the trailer - bought new tires and put them on the rims. Thinking about coating the trailer frame with bedliner - has anyone done this before? Thought it would be a durable finish, stand up to gravel and all... Hopefully I will start sanding down the frame and prepping it later this week.

Should be mounting the bow eye and transom tie-downs soon too...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the steel for the backer plates - going to drill them tonight and mount the eyes tomorrow.

Also going to get out and do some work on the cap hopefully tonight!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out yesterday to get some prep work done on the boat for this weekend - First, I drilled holes in my stainless steel, then sanded, wiped down with acetone, and coated with epoxy...

Then, while I had a batch of epoxy mixed up, I water-sealed the plywood for my new bow fishing platform...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Backing plates and future casting deck look really good...
What drill bit and technique did you use to punch the holes in the SS backers?
Also, what did you use to cut the SS shapes?
Thanks...:D

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Backing plates and future casting deck look really good...
What drill bit and technique did you use to punch the holes in the SS backers?
Also, what did you use to cut the SS shapes?
Thanks...

Thanks GT, for the backer plates, I actually found the SS on eBay pre-cut to 3"x6" for like 1$ each... Saved me from having to cut it myself...For the drilling, I used a titanium-coated bit on a drill press with a vice to hold the steel in place... - I kept some motor oil around my hole to absorb the heat, and set my drill press to only 250RPM. Probably would have used cutting fluid, but I was only cutting 11ga SS.

I'm not sure if it was really necessary to coat the stainless with epoxy - I bought 304 SS, which to my understanding is better than normal corrosion resistance, but not quite as good as 316. Maybe the Pros could comment?

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out and installed the bow eye and transom tie-downs... got a little sloppy on the inside, but I guess nobody will see it:facepalm:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey fishbone,
Check out your pics...they are gone...:eek:
If you make any changes in your photobucket account, like moving your pics around to organize them, the link gets broken...you will have to edit your posts and re-post your pics after you get them organized...:)

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks GT! Just reposted the links - should be working now!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hopefully out to work on the cap this weekend. The 5200 I used for the tie-downs and bow eyes needs to cure for a week or so, so I'll hold off on redoing the trailer until they are dry and I can use them to lift the hull back off the trailer.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Started work on the cap this evening. Had to figure out a way to clamp the plywood squarely under the old casting deck. I used clamps through old deck light holes to clamp the bow-most portion....

Then I put an extension on my cart so that the weight of the bow held the casting deck flat against the new plywood...

Finally, for the stern-most portion, I built a clamping jig that was held together with two bar clamps...