'77 Luhrs 28 ft. diesel repower SPLASHED!

Triton II

Commander
Re: '77 Luhrs 28 ft. diesel repower - just beginning

Wow Luhrs, she's really getting there now. When's the splash? :D

TII

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Great work on the boat Luhrs! Very clean looking stuff you have done. I really can't wait to see her with an engine, and can't wait to see her in the water :D! I too love the power of diesel so this is very interesting to me.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the replies. When it's finally in the water I promise some Youtube action videos.

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

This thread is a lot of fun!

I don't think you mentioned it but do you mind me asking what you paid for the boat? I think you are into the updates for about $10k so far - does that sound about right?

Considering that a new one is probably $120,000 you made an excellent choice - something that I'd love to have a go at one day!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

nice work as usual, can't wait to see her in action!

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Steve: I've kept all my receipts so I know exactly what I have into it. You're real close with your estimate. I paid $3,000 for the boat last July, with no engine and a wrecked Paragon transmission that I later found out couldn't be rebuilt. I've spent about $13,000 on parts, materials, tools, etc. so I'm in it for around $16K total right now. I still need to spend maybe $1,000 more on things like folding deck chairs, life jackets, and possibly a GPS.

I look at it the same way as you. A new 28-footer is big money, plus I'm thinking I should be able to get 8-10 years out of this boat with proper care. So it's not an insane amount to spend if you spread it out over several years.

Plus for me there's an intangible thing about rebuilding something with my own hands. I bet most of you guys are like that. I feel the boat is really mine now and I know every detail about its workings. If somebody were to just give me a brand new boat I wouldn't have the same feeling for it.

Arch, Wayne, and everybody I wish you a good weekend.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, things looking very good. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I've been studying this minor issue forever. It looks like your Bimini is mounted backwards. Solid stay in the front, straps in back, and bows pointing aft. Any reason for that? Mainly just curious, I am sure it will work fine, just looks backwards . . . :confused:

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

QC: Maybe you're right about my Bimini but that's how the frame was when I bought the boat. I never had a Bimini top before so I didn't think to even question how the frame was assembled. All I can say is it seems to be mounted to the boat very well though. It's not flimsy or anything.

Tomorrow when I'm at the boatyard I'm going to take a look at how the frame is set up on some other boats.

Thanks!

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Well this isn't so exciting but I finally got around to installing new faucets and testing out the pressure-activated fresh-water pump. It works perfectly.

My tank is around 12 gallons. The pinkish water is from propylene glycol the previous owner must've put in to winterize the system.

Sink in galley:
freshwaterfaucets001.jpg

Sink in bathroom:
freshwaterfaucets002.jpg

OK now for the real news: my engine/transmission is going in the boat this coming Thursday! I'll try to get some action pics for you guys.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Luhrs glad to see yours till at it! Good new on the plumbing and hope your don't run out of nipples.

oohsparkly

Cadet

that is a heroic selection of hose barbs!

sprintst

Commander

You'll get more than 8-10 years out of her and you'll know every nut and bolt to boot.

That boat will be around for a long time to come and it's not depreciating radically like a new boat...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

No dang wonder I cant find a hose barb in the United States you bogarted them all. Looks like rv antifreeze to me. Put it in my camper every year.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah the hose barbs are mostly for the fuel filters/tank connections. I've been collecting plumbing fittings for weeks in preparation for hooking everything up.

By the way the engine/tranny is going in tomorrow at 8am. I'll snap some pics for you guys.

Great work! I just discovered this thread and spent a 1/2 hour reading start to finish.

Only suggestion I have is to sanitize your water system before serious use.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us!

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Bert, really looking forward to the performance figures.

When are you looking to splash?

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Today was engine/trans installation day. I got to the boatyard at 8:00 and by 8:45 it was sitting on the stringers.
IMG_4681.jpg

This boat lift may look like a crude instrument for installing an engine, but it has amazingly fine hydraulic controls. If I needed to shift the engine 1/8" in any direction the operator could do it!

IMG_4684.jpg

Finally in its natural habitat:

IMG_4688.jpg

Next came the fun part. About 5 hours of jockeying and adjusting all the mounts to align the V-drive coupling. It took time but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Notice the Redneck rigging methods:
IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4696.jpg

By 3:00 I had all the hard work done. V-drive coupling aligned and bolted up, and all mounts bolted down solidly. Now I just have a lot of hoses and wires to connect up.

Access to my oil filter and starter is terrible but I knew it would be. I think I can change the oil filter but the engine is going to have to be lifted if the starter craps out on me. It's brand-new so hopefully it'll last a few years.

Special note to Wayne (sqbtr): Try to build in access to your V-drive coupling bolts. The little hatch on my cabin step saved me big-time in terms of accessing the coupling. If you have to work from the main deck hatch it's a long reach down and real awkward.

I wish you all a good weekend.

Bert

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

nice work, I can't wait to see the splash! And on the rigging.....whatever works!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Wrong boat man, you were supposed to install that in mine. Looks great man.

zach103

Commander

Everything looks great.. keep up the good work!