77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Nice to see someone else with butterflies about first time out. I am not sure I trust my work on the fuel system. I am not up on this at all, but I think the neutral safety switch is a function of the control, not the motor, so if you are in neutral at the helm it should be fine. Does it need a neutral signal from the motor?

Ron

The motor was originally a control/console motor ( by original i mean the previous owner). It had a home made bracket for the steering arm. I got it with out the control, but have the wire harness. There is a bracket inside the cowling where tiller motors had the switch mounted. Which i believe this motor was originally a tiller by its serial number. The switch itself is not expensive, just havnt ordered one having only recenty finding out where it should be mounted.

Last edited:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I got it, so the motor need the switch installed and the tiller control does not have one. I just looked at the tiller handle that came with my 8 HP mercury. It was in addition to the remote control that was being used with it and came separately. It has a neutral start position and a wiring harness that must plug into a switch in the motor. Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck with the splash.

Ron

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Messing around during lunch today. My wire harness has 12 wires. I connected 6 to my ingnition.

S- yellow wire with red stripe
C- yellow wire with black stripe
B-red wire
M-black wire with yellow stripe
I-purple wire
M-black wire

Not connected are:
Tan
Tan with blue stripe
Brown with white stripe
Green with white stripe
Blue with white stripe
Gray

Anyone with knowledge on here if my switch sounds like its right? Im gonna give it a try tonight hopefully.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
More story to follow this frustrating day, but to keep it short on the phne, just tried to start it. And all i hear is the starter knock once when key is turned. Two things i can think of are i have the black wires mentioned aboved backwards, or its the whole nuetral safety switch thing. Gotta take a break for awhile. May get back into it tonight once the kids are sleeping.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Got it started by flipping the black wires i think. Ran about 20 seconds. Peeing for the first half then stopped peeing and pulled the fuel line. Like i said long story. Probably going to stop for the night.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Had it running again. I need to connect the wires better to the ignition. Peed fine this time too but warmer than i think it should? Might just be paranoid too. The prop was spinning fast than i think it should on the hose and in nuetral also.

Kids are in bed now so no more running it tonight. Time for google!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
The long story is I had bought the fuel line and ignition at west marine while in Fl 4th of July weekend. Today my fuel line is no where to be found? It had the whole kit (filter, fittings, kitchen sink). SO, I bite the bullet and go to bass pro and buy two ( merc fuel line kits). One for a spare on impulse. Get back home after Savannah rush hour all happy and go to put it all together and what happens? The new bass pro fuel kits do not come with the fuel line connector to the tank like my original NEW $$$$$$$$$$$ west marine one did. So I butchered one set to drop the line in the tank. But Wait it gets better. My dads neighbor and friend had a small bucket of random gas line fittings/connectors from all his boats over the years. ONE happened to fit and click to the motor so he let me have it. The new "mercury" outboard gas line fitting would not connect at all to the motor. So I had to cut that fitting off and attach the gifted one on. But when I did that I did not pay attention to the primer ball and hooked it all up backwards. Meanwhile the admiral is mad about a lost new gas line and the run to bass pro to buy something that is probably in the garage somewhere ( Her dad recently visited and helped organize things). He is a very smart guy and would remember seeing one in there new in the package so maybe it got stolen while the door was up during the day? thats my thought now. so after all the running around, by the time I get to testing and trouble shooting things my kids are going to bed and a new noise outside wont help that.

Tomorrow is another day my friends. Stay thirsty!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Funny update: the merc fuel line worked fine. Since i had the ball backwards, the fittings for the motor and tank are different and thats why i wwent through that mess. I also had a tank adapter to the fuel line in my boat bench seat from the tank that wasnt good. Found that after i ran to bass pro this morning to by one. Always good to have spare parts i guess. I rewired the ignition this morning and its starting fine.

The prop was spinning because the tiller is not an exact match. So, when in nuetral on the handle it was actually in forward on the motor. Fixed that today by making a bracket.

Splash (although a small test one) may happen in a couple hours from now.

When shutting the engine off i notice fuel dripping from the bottom back of both carbs also. Not happy about that. Something more to teouble shoot later.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
SPLASHED!!!!!!!!!!

Went really good too. No water coming in. Came up to plain really easy. I was surprised at that one. Had a friend come with so with 2 adults in the boat the 40 HP worked out fine. Still has some work to do, but she got all wet!

20160723_134810_resized.jpg

Here is my mug shot for the first time. Only pic I really got. was too excited for the ramp shots.

BWR1953

Admiral
Woo hoo! Congratulations on the wet boat! :peace::thumb: :clap2: :rockon:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Congrats on the splash! Glad everything worked out for ya with the motor.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looks like a Sunday cruise in an LST, g0ne. LOL

Finally on the water and lookin' good! Congrats, buddy!

Decker83

Commander
Sounds like you had an ordeal with the gas line.. Glad you got it all worked out..
Congrats on the splash.. You looked excited in the pic..:peace::party::horn:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
GA has it right. here is a picture of my first duty station in the 1970's. On long deployments we would occasionally fold down the causeways while at anchor and have a barbecue party with beer allowed because it was off the ship...sort of... If your rails folded down you could have quite a party on that thing.

Ron
Navy Cruises 1970's007.jpg

BTW, have you considered a tiller extension and a centered grab rail for long trips to see over the bow better?

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
:lol: :facepalm:.... Thank everyone. Took the family out for a little cruise this morning. 2 miles up river then 2 miles down river. It sure does turn heads like its a landing craft on the river :eek:. I flooded the carbs this morning priming the ball. but once it started it ran fine. I have to really do some work in the throttle cable just like I had to with the shifting. I also need to wire in the push button kill switch. right now I have to stop it the key ignition that I dont have mounted yet. I have to be real careful with this until I get all that worked out. Im planning on putting this tiller handle back up for sale and finding the exact match. Its headed back to the base boat storage today until the next adventure! This probably would have happened without everyone's help and input along the way. Thank you to everyone!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
g0ne - I don't usually give this one out because the outfit can be considered shady - http://www.laniermarine.com/

I have used them and they have piles and piles of dead motors laying around. It's possible they might have the tiller and parts you need for it. They are on the northwest side of Lake Lanier. Face to face is the best way to deal after calling to see if they might have something.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Super cool to see the duck master finally on the water cutting a wake! Good job all around :thumb: