77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I got my ST tires for the SS trailer at a local tire shop, they're less expensive than P tires and are radials. Mine were a bit more as I opted for the 215's having lots of fender clearance but still they were like $65 ea.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Ya i am goin with radials and probably d load tires as well to help with the highway traveling speeds.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
My tiller arm arrived monday but got it picked up yesterday. Ebay purchase from israel was a go! Was kinda worried about that fact.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Hopefully july still. House we are trying to sell needs a new hvac all the sudden so good tire money went away. Im going ro have to bring the motor back to ga and mount it here after the 4th of july weekend.

Decker83

Commander
I had to put in a new hvac in may and had a valve job done on the suv.. That put a major wuppen on my money too..

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I know the feeling now Decker. Going to drop our price after the install of the new one to try and get this house sold. I need the boat back in the garage so I have something to do on the weekends!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I have this on the merc side too, but not much of a response there. Maybe you guys can help. I will try to be thorough with this.

First pic: So this end goes into the motor itself right.( not sure what the 3 seperate wires are for either yet) And the other end would normally run into the throttle box for remote steer where the start/choke/trim/gauges and things are. As you know I am going with a tiller. My question is: If I add a key/choke switch to my tiller handle, do I just use the correct color code wires and connect them there? Same if I add another tilt/trim switch where I have my other switches at?

IMG_63931.jpg

This is the other end. Aside from having to add the power and ground wires from the battery to the motor(?) once the above is plugged into the motor and i splice the wires to the key start/choke I should be able to turn the key and get it running you think?

IMG_14161.jpg

I havent ever had to really dabble with wiring a motor like this so I am trying to get the intell I can before heading down to Fl next weekend.

Watermann

Sounds like a solid plan to me, looks like only 6 active wires that have the male prong in the plug so it should be pretty straight forward. The 3 odd ball wires may go to nothing for that motor as Merc made a harnesses with extra wires using them for different motors and options.

Decker83

Commander
Wish I could help with the wiring.. The 3 wires may be for a tilt pump.. Don't know for sure..:facepalm:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I just cant resist bringing the boat down. Im going for it. I have a spare and will take it easy down there stopping two or three times to check the hub temps and tires in the first 100 miles. My wife and kids are already there so if my 5 1/2 hour trip turns to 10, i can handle that. Leaving fri night so the temp is cooller than the day!

Cant wait to hook her back up!

Last edited:

Watermann

Ah yeah a road trip towing a boat, brings back fond memories for me just thinking about it. Happy trails!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Thanks all. But after I picked her up and got parked I checked the tires out again and there was no way it would be a safe travel with the condition of the tires. So on the way home I swung into Wally world and got the last two Goodyear Marathons they had on hand. Too bad it was storming out. This is the first time she has been in the rain uncovered and gettin wet all inside :mad-new:. But I have the comfort of new rubbers to make the trip. Here we are still getting wet at the house. (That is for sale for anyone moving to Savannah :)).

Might be hard to see due to the "Custom" paint....:lol: 20160630_181748_resized.jpg

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I made the trip down in 8 plus hours. Usually only takes 5 1/2. Traffic and weather from savannah to I 95 east of Orlando was bad! Trailer made it fine. Averaged 70/75 after orlando. Funny thing is my truck tires were losin air on the way. Thats a first. And here i was worried about the trailer. Work starts tomorrow!

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
That's great. No more withdrawal symptoms. I'm glad all went well,despite the holiday traffic.

Ron

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
That's great. No more withdrawal symptoms. I'm glad all went well,despite the holiday traffic.

Ron

Withdrawls are going to start soon again! We are back in Ga again. I didnt get to splash this weekend either. The tiller isnt an exact match/bolt on. That took a day of trying things out to make a bracket to fit it. Now it is going to take some more work. On the 2nd day we mounted the motor on the transom. The 3rd day was the 4th, So the was family day ofcourse.

Had some fun weather on the way south. All clear and sunny on the way home today.
20160701_153027_resized.jpg

I think this is the till for larger models. The throttle is maxed out wide open at this mark on the handle.

20160703_132629_resized.jpg

This is where the stoppers hit with the pic above.

20160703_132556_resized.jpg

I had to cut up the angle on the kicker mount I had for something strong enough to hold the handle on the motor. 25$ mount off CL wasn't a bad sacrifice.

20160702_182443_resized.jpg

I now have to wire the ignition and get a new gas tank. the tank I had from when I got the boat wasnt good and was cracked in the threads upon further inspection.

20160703_130610_resized.jpg

Trailer made it fine with the new tires and wasn't a bad trip at all. Special thanks to my dad who checks in here now and then. Couldn't have done all this and got this far with out him and his help with finding this boat to begin with and also going to scoop this motor up for me!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Picked up a brand new 12 gallon tank, muffs and 2 stroke oil this week. Ill be bringing her home this weekend to see if i can wire in the ignition and put her in the water.

Only thing that i see slowing me down is not having the nuetral start switch and figuring out what to do to bypass it. If i can get it all running at the house. Ill take her to the ramp and see if the throttle on this tiller handle will function correctly.

Luckily the weekends have a lot of boaters out, so i dont think ill get stranded. Plus i wont venture too far from the ramp and head up current to have help if i do need to paddle back lol.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Nice to see someone else with butterflies about first time out. I am not sure I trust my work on the fuel system. I am not up on this at all, but I think the neutral safety switch is a function of the control, not the motor, so if you are in neutral at the helm it should be fine. Does it need a neutral signal from the motor?

Ron