77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

dozerII

Admiral
Definatly looks like pre1972 120, by the intake manifold. Hin #'s I believe started with the 72 or 73 model year. If you can get a look at the port side of the motor under the manifold, look for any rust staining on the side of the block as that is where these four bangers crack, you should also be able to see if the drain plugs are removed.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
'72 is when the HIN started. There should be a plate down by the starter with the serial number that can be used for year ID. It has the old style hydraulic reverse lock - Not sure when that ended.

Does he have paperwork, including the last PA registration info? I guess when you drag her home :D: she will get Georgia numbers.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
'72 is when the HIN started. There should be a plate down by the starter with the serial number that can be used for year ID. It has the old style hydraulic reverse lock - Not sure when that ended.

Does he have paperwork, including the last PA registration info? I guess when you drag her home :D: she will get Georgia numbers.

I didnt catch him there this morning. He is in his 80's and refuses to carry a cell phone around so he was out making his social rounds. Im going to try and call him back in the evening this week and meet him out there this weekend. So I am not sure on paper work yet. As far as dragging her home, I need to settle at the new house mid Sept if closings go through on the 31st of this month. Then I need to install a temp fence to corral our labs in. and have quite a few trees cleared. This puts me bringing her home in roughly 3 to 4 months. If we can agree on a price before that, Im sure leaving it stored where it is currently at wont be an issue either. But I thought I had to butter the wife before duck season, this level of MBS and her "estimate" of how much the duck boat cost me to finish is a new level I have never thought I would have to go. Im still in the dreaming but I am serious about this one stage.

Talked with his wife this morning though and explained how I like working on these boats, and I would be redoing this one for my wife and my little girls. Maybe she will convince him to get it out of the yard. I dont know if they own the yard, or just work there. But her brother is the one that opens the gate in the week. And her hubby who I had talked to opens it on the weekends.

We will see how this all goes. I still need a different tiller handle for my outboard that will cost me near as much as I am trying to bring this Islander home for.....:facepalm:

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's a cast iron lump 2.5L and the old style outdrive with the trim lines that go through the transom assembly. In other words a basket case. Pull the dipstick and open the oil cap to see if there's any water inside. Another source of bargaining is if the motor is toasted and froze up.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
That's a cast iron lump 2.5L and the old style outdrive with the trim lines that go through the transom assembly. In other words a basket case. Pull the dipstick and open the oil cap to see if there's any water inside. Another source of bargaining is if the motor is toasted and froze up.

I kicked myself for not checking the oil while there. Didnt think of it till i was home actually. There is a plug cap missin on the top side of the drive also. Not sure where water would go from there but the prop is half buried in the dirt from deflated tires. From what i read already, without aluminum manifolds/heads? Salt water is worse these motors?

Anyhow, with all your guys tips, i will check each on my next visit. Ant are really making their way into her also. Who knows how much they ate up. And half the cavitation plate has been welded back on also..... this one needs work and it excites me! Just hope the admiral can be inspired by the outcome of restores done here. I know her only question in mind is whats the cost? My answer will be 3-5 years and a vaca to renew our vows with out the kids. Unless she wants them there. And a diamond ofcourse.

GA_Boater

We will see how this all goes. I still need a different tiller handle for my outboard that will cost me near as much as I am trying to bring this Islander home for.....
facepalm.gif

I'm glad you mentioned the tiller again, g0ne. I found this on CL and saved it for you and promptly forgot. I'm Old. :doh:

http://macon.craigslist.org/bpo/5705934202.html

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Good lookin out, but not the correct one. Ill try and get a pic of the one needed.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Yo... the ad says he has 100 to choose from but ya gotta call. If you call him, he may have yours. ;)

Dang B, so used to lookin through pics didnt even read the ad. Might try tomorrow, maybe he will straight up trade if he has the right one! Thanks for catching that.

My bad Ga. Double down on the good lookin out!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Gave him a call, i need to verify the year of the motor. I was thinking it was a 92'. Hes says it woukdnt be if its a 4 cyl 2 stroke? I thought thats what it was based on the ser number. Owell. More research too do....

GA_Boater

I figured with a 100 to chose from, he must have the one you need.

What is your serial number? We'll put our heads together - One to look at pics and one to read. LOL

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I figured with a 100 to chose from, he must have the one you need.

What is your serial number? We'll put our heads together - One to look at pics and one to read. LOL

The one plated on my mid section is OD152163. Now, when I brought my old console (steer) bracket (the one that bolts to the motor) to local marine shop my dad knows, the guy had a match. By match I mean the old bracket the console steer arm went too matched the bolt pattern size of the tiller arm posted above. Only the one he had was a gutted tiller arm with no controls wires or handle. but the bolt holes matched.

Gentleman I spoke too mentioned another place to verify the serial number, but ill have to get back to the boat and find it. He mentioned something about it could be a 50 hp head on a 40 hp mid or something like that. I have some more work to. On top of researching Islander ideas to boot lol.

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
20160817_225821_resized.jpg

ELHPTO 1992 is what I see fits the number on my mid section data plate

E electric start
L long shaft
H tiller handle ( the bracket for console looked home made)
PT power trim
O Oil injected.

Does this seem like im on the right track here?

GA_Boater

Except ELHPTO crosses years. There should be a welsh plug with the serial number on top of the motor, somewhere around the flywheel or starter.

I hope a 50HP P/H on a 40HP midsection doesn't complicate things. I wonder with the "H" in the model if a PO converted from tiller? :facepalm:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Except ELHPTO crosses years. There should be a welsh plug with the serial number on top of the motor, somewhere around the flywheel or starter.

I hope a 50HP P/H on a 40HP midsection doesn't complicate things. I wonder with the "H" in the model if a PO converted from tiller? :facepalm:

It looked like he did convert from a tiller. The bracket the steering linkage hooked to looked like a home made/rough cut job. I actually just got off the phone with the gentleman from the CL link. He was a dealer for 33 years in fl and is trying to offload merc stuff. Just so happens out of the hundred or so tiller handles he has around, he doesnt have the one I need lol. Its ok, no rush really with all this house stuff goin on and my maybe future Islander in the works. I tell you, my mind will not be at rest until I am moved and settled, and the Islander falls in my lap. And the new house has a fence. and trees get removed, lot gets surveyed, and car port/garage is built, Concrete vs dirt floor?... permits.... and so on and so on. Im scattered brained for at least the next 3-6 weeks or more.

I went and looked at my hunting boat today, almost brought her home to try and get a ride in this weekend. Then I remembered everything needed is already packed in the storage unit. Glad I left her there now.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Well, 3 week vacation ends today. Back to the grind tomorrow. And I am spending today researching Islanders, donor boats and trailers, I/O to outboard swaps, I/O motors and everything else for a boat I don't even have yet. I called the guy today to ask about the papers and throw him my offer but I couldn't reach him so I left him a message (on his wife's cell because he refuses to have one).

Next main focus is picking up a 26 ft moving truck next Saturday to put whats left in the house in it that weekend, We leave this house on the 31st, close with the buyer of this one than close on the one we are buying in the afternoon. Since we cant move in right away we will be in a hotel a few nights, and at our friends for a night or two maybe until we can move in. I'm pretty sure we will be in Sept 4th. I'm not sure whats giving me more anxiety: Finally moving and all the logistics involved or making plans for trying to add this Islander to our family.....

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Looks like the Islander isnt working out. I dont even think its actually his. His answers to my questions about the paper work were scattered and mentioned something about a bill of sale may be in the boat? I swears the motor should turn over, how long can they run with out water? He didnt seem to take well with my 400 dollar offer. So maybe ill spend a day over there one day tinkering with the motor. Im sure it isnt gonna go any where fast. He has a few boats laying around from how it sounds and I think I heard him he had one in his salvage yard? So that one is on hold and ill search for others now :D