73 Sea Ray restoration

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I wouldn’t use that in a continuous strip, but instead use small pieces to lift the stringer off the hull enough to properly bed using reinforced thickened resin.

I used pieces of 1/4” plastic, polyethylene, to keep mine up off the hull.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn’t use that in a continuous strip, but instead use small pieces to lift the stringer off the hull enough to properly bed using reinforced thickened resin.

I used pieces of 1/4” plastic, polyethylene, to keep mine up off the hull.

Sorry I should have been more clear. Yes I was talking about a continuous strip to use as the bedding. I seen a couple people on different sites use it when I did a search but was skeptical so figured I would ask.

I bought tile spacers a few different thicknesses so I can make sure the stringer will be level. And use PB to bed, but when I saw that I wanted to look it up to see if it has been done before.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea in tight spots it's doing the same thing as spacers cause the pb with fill under the rest. Only need to maintain a small gap.
So what I was trying to say is that the hot glue will keep all the spacers intact. Going in and out of the boat and setting stringers means alot of foot kicking and moving things around. The hot glue makes everything stationary.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I might end up going with the shims it will probably be easier to get out from under the stringers then the small tile spacers

No need to remove the spacers if you use something impervious to resin. That’s why I used UHMW polyethylene. Just force the thickened resin in around them, they’ll be glassed in permanently. Using hot glue to hold everything in place is a great idea.

Use disposable pastry bags to force the resin under the stringer/ cross member. Those pastry bags will save so much time.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds good. Thanks for all the tips. I believe the tile spacers I have are impervious to resin I will do a test to be sure. I was definitely going to go the pastry bag route because laying the bed and setting the stringers will be a disaster for me lol I am not the cleanest person when it comes to glassing and I dont want to grind big blobs of PB.

Hopefully now I can get time and motivation to get the stringers in. We just got put back on 60 hours at work. But as usual time and no money or money and no time is the essence of every big project:facepalm:

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Got off of work early today so I finished cutting and fitting the main structure.

20200923_142457_compress21.jpg20200923_142557_compress8.jpg20200923_142431_compress99.jpg

I still have to round out the edges and waterproof then I can get them glassed in.

I still have to figure out how I want to do the raise in the floor under the bow.

I can do it the easy way like the factory and just put a few blocks attached to the underside of the deck to make the ramp tab in the deck and fill with foam it lasted since 73 so it couldn't be that bad of an option.

Or

I was going to run another stringer forward of the bulkhead in the 3rd picture attach it to that bulkhead then end it in a bulkhead that is in the center of the bow.

Either way I will be filling the area with foam which is why I am having trouble deciding which option I want to go with. Not sure if the extra work and material will be worth it to accomplish the same thing:noidea:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea that issue kept me insane for along time. I am now able to water, gas, deisel etc down any of my fish wells that
drain to the bilge without the use of drain hoses. And with flotation foam in every cavity. All gravity no pumps.
I chuckle everytime someone brings up this subject. LOL!

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I tried finding foam like you used but couldn't find anything when I searched what was it called?

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well that explains why I couldn't find it lol. With the right marketing you could make a boat load of money (sorry it was cheesy but I couldn't resist). If it ever goes back on sale let me know.

I am probably going to just make the foamed areas "water tight" and hope by time the inevitable happens it will be someone else's problem.