72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You probably won't get all the scratches out of the r/r but start with a heavy grit and work your way down and you should be able to make it look 10 times better .. You will have to get it down past the anodize to make it shine ..
A multi tool with the triangle looking sanding pad and disc would make the job easier I think ...

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
Ok wet sanded the drapes and runs and adjusted the gun and so far so good.
Orange peel but no runs.

Mark72233

Ensign
It's been a couple of hours and it is dry to the touch and smoothed out a little more. Took another picture so you can see right after the paint was sprayed

and 2 hours later

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That seems to be an overly amount of OP!!! Just not sure why you're getting that. Did you use a 60-40 MS/Acetone mix. Minimum fan and Air pressure around 38-40 psi??

Mark72233

Ensign
Yes on the 60/40 and the pressure. So your thinking fan was to open. I am still happy it didn't have any runs.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That much OP, to me, indicates that it's flashing off before it has time to settle and smooth out, or it was not atomizing properly. What were your temps today?

Mark72233

Ensign
So Wood you thinking I should let it sit for how long and wet sand it again with 320 and try again?

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As anyone who has been by my thread will know, I'm no painter, BUT, when I was getting excessive OP, I tried thinning the paint just a touch more, and that seemed to help. I may get yelled at by the pros, but it worked pretty good for me.

But then again, I had to do mine twice, so.......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey Mark, much better than the first time!!!! Interesting on the gun pressure, I run mine a 20 psi at the gun gauge. I have no idea if that right or wrong, just what I set mine to. To me, seems like still too much material being sprayed out. Do you have the 1.4 mm needle in your gun?? When you sand, just sand smooth...not all off.

Here is the definition of orange peel out of the troubleshooting guide:

ORANGE PEEL
( Poor Flow, Texture)
Paint film having an uneven texture that resembles the skin of an orange.

CAUSE
(A) Under reduction and/or air pressure too low.
(B) Thinner/reducer evaporates too fast for spray conditions.
(C) Excessive film thickness or piling on of heavy wet coats.
(D) Improper spray gun set-up.
(E) Improper painting technique.

REPAIR
(1) Compound or polish to reduce surface texture.
(2) Or, sand smooth with 1200 or finer grit sandpaper, compound and polish to restore gloss.
(3) Or, sand smooth and refinish.

PREVENTION
(A) Use proper reduction ratio and spray at recommended air pressure.
(B) Select recommended thinner/reducer based on temperature, humidity, air movement, and size
of repair.
(C) Avoid heavy coats and excessive film thickness.
(D) Use recommended spray gun, fluid tip and air cap for the material being sprayed. Always
adjust the gun for best atomization and balanced spray pattern before paint application.
(E) During paint application, hold the gun perpendicular and parallel to the surface. Adjust
speed of pass, pattern overlap, and distance from the panel to achieve the desired appearance.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Might try some high temps reducer .. Auto parts store should carry it ..
Try more air pressure to .. Like between 30 and 40 at the gun .. Keep the gun around 8 to 12 inches back .. It,s one of those things ya just have to play around with . Believe me you are not alone in trying to stop the o/p .. It can be very frustrating ... :lol:

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
Nurse, thanks for the tips and this is twice for me also.

Corjen and sphelps, also thanks for all the advise. Lots to soak in.

Do you guys think it will be ok to wet sand lightly in the morning and hit it with another coat with the above mentioned adjustments. Is 15-20 hours enough dry time between coats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If the temps are in the 90's then you can wet Sand tomorrow with 220 and shoot again. I'd go to a 50/50 mix of Naptha and MS. Naptha won't flash as fast. What's your Paint/ Thinner ratio? You might add a smidge more thinner tomorrow but not much.

zool

Captain
Reduce the amount of hardener on the next try, keep your reduction under 30%, and spray multiple thin coats if temps remain high...if your compressor doesn't met the gun requirements, then it will be impossible to overcome the un-atomixed paint surface.

To help I would need to know what gun, tip, compressor....also what paint, reducer(s) hardener, cleaning agents.

Over reducing doesn't always help in flatness, it actually hinders the paint from self leveling.

Mark72233

Ensign
Wood, I mixed 270ml paint, 30ml acetone, 60ml mineral spirits, 8ml hardener. What is Naptha? I have the Majik brand reducer.

Mark72233

Ensign
Zool, this is the gun I am using. 1.4 tip.
Running it at about 35psi at the gauge in the gun. This is the compressor I have.
The paint is a Rustoleum boat topside paint. I have been using acetone and mineral spirits for reducer. I think this next shoot I will lower the psi just a little, turn the paint volume in just a touch.

zool

Captain
5 hp is fine, but the scfm is a little low, most of my guns require 10+ at 40...it looks like you maybe having an atomization problem...or the heat from the small compressor, plus the ambient temps may be drying the paint before it can level...like you said, try lowering the volume and do more thin coats. At least the runs have stopped, dialing in the gun may get you where you want....

Mark72233

Ensign
Zool, When you say more thin coats? You mean apply Thin coat then let it dry and come back an hour or so later or do you mean as I am painting put thin coats down and right back after just seconds to a minute and put another coat over the first and so on.