68 Offshore restoration

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took it for a test run today, it wouldn't start for a long time, then it had issues holding idle. Finally was able to put it in gear but if I gave it much throttle it would die. My best guess is that I need to tear apart and clean my carbs again. I need to be better about draining and storing these right. Eventually I'm looking to repower with something fuel injected for simplicity.

I have noticed each time that I've been out that the boat rattles/shakes a lot at low motor RPMs. Does anyone else have this?

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
How much shaking we talking about? My 1970's Evinrude vibrates the hull at low speed, but not something I would think abnormal for an engine of that age. As for the carbs, you using a ethanol based fuel, you using a fuel stabilizer?

SHSU

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Shaking, I couldn't tell you a side to side magnitude in inches, probably not actually much. It does make anything in the side storage rattle quite a bit and if the motor is centered it will shake itself to one side turning the steering. The outboard is a '97 suzuki dt75. I think I am more curious if there is anything that could be worn out leading to the shaking, should the cable connection have any kind of damper to it? My main concern would be any excessive vibration wearing at rivets. It mellows out at higher rpm.

I use ethanol gas but use a fuel stabilizer with ethanol treatment. This has always worked for me in the past, the real issue is that I filled up last year planning for more use, but never did. The heat then evaporated about half the fuel, certainly leading to increased gumming. I just need to give it a better cleaning and a better fuel/carb maintenance plan. A fuel injected motor would still be nicer in my mind, but looking at them, it's a minimum of 50 lbs extra for an etec, and closer to 100 lbs more for an optimax or a 4 stroke, and raises the question how much the hp rating of the boat plays into transom strength for hanging the weight.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Not familiar with your engine, but wouldn't expect it to shake as bad as you mention. Might do some Googling to see if others have experienced similar. Weird that it goes away under power.

As for hanging a new motor, I am with you on what the extra weight will actually add. Also the price is what kills me... lol. Hard to justify ~10k when I have a motor that is working.

SHSU