65 starcraft

jplscrapie

Seaman
Re: 65 starcraft

here are the new pics. i was thinking the same y.d. but setting a permenent 2x4(s) in the hull (pl),then release tension and see if it stays before glassing ????

Attachments

• Boat Floor Dismantle 024.jpg
    Boat Floor Dismantle 024.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Floor Dismantle 018.jpg
    Boat Floor Dismantle 018.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Floor Dismantle 020.jpg
    Boat Floor Dismantle 020.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Floor Dismantle 023.jpg
    Boat Floor Dismantle 023.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Floor Dismantle 021.jpg
    Boat Floor Dismantle 021.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0

jplscrapie

Seaman

I bought the ply for my transom yesterday finally. Hey Oops do you have a recipe for a poly-cabosil type seacast type filler for my keel? simillar to the product you made(the one where you beat it with a hammer) I could use is right now for a section 15' x 1" deep by 1.5" wide p. m. if you wish. I need about 2 gal. im guestimating ,or anyone for that matter thanks

jplscrapie

Seaman

my hot water heater went so i bought a new one from hd for $400.00 change,but it was wrapped in a great piece of cardboard for my transom template(the previous one made of obsolete 78 and 33 record jackets you can see in my old pics) check it out.

Attachments

• transom 015.jpg
    transom 015.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • transom 013.jpg
    transom 013.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • transom 016.jpg
    transom 016.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • transom 012.jpg
    transom 012.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Floor Dismantle 025.jpg
    Boat Floor Dismantle 025.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

jplscrapie

Seaman

I cut the new transom today 3/4 ext.ply(two sheets) here are some pics.

Attachments

• transom 024.jpg
    transom 024.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • transom 022.jpg
    transom 022.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • transom 018.jpg
    transom 018.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • transom 020.jpg
    transom 020.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So what are you going to use to bond the plys togther?

Also, did you cut the transom skin off your hull? Or what is that in your second pic from post #43?

jplscrapie

Seaman

o.k jet; Im going the pl route,how many tubes did you use? Yes that is the origanal inner skin,I was hoping to reattach it. I cut it to small,but i was going to use it for a bench mark for the subdeck height and stringer height(mine were completly shot dust in some spots). No foam in your boat? or are you going back?

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya i went that way too. I used 3 28oz tubes of it and that included transom, deck to stringers, and sealing around the edges of the deck. If you are going to PL your deck to your stringers i would recomend screwing it down in a few places and not walking on it for a couple of days, we did and ran into problems. If you are just going to PL your transom you could prob get away with 1 28oz tube if your not wastful. Also, we had five stringers so depending on your set up you could get away with less than we did.

As far as the foam goes there wasnt any in there to begin with so I figure if the original builder didnt think it needed it then i dont think it needs it. We can always pour some in if need be though.

jplscrapie

Seaman

our transom are almost the same,that is why i ask. I also cut through the outer skin(three times) and one chine. I think you are gonna splashdown before me.

jplscrapie

Seaman

well i finally got the new transom together (used two 10oz tubes of pl and set cinderblocks 5 in total perfect fit ,but i have to reglass the holes i made first) then im gonna rebuild the bildge. pics soon

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anybody have a good reason to finish this project?

You have already made some great progress and invested some money into this. Plus just think how cool of a boat you will have when you are done.

jplscrapie

Seaman

i wanna keep going im hungery to get back in the water,but timing is awfull,its a miracle if i splashdown after labor day,i think its easier to find a donor hull

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Get an aluminum and be done with this glassin' crap!!! You've already got the brand name right, not just get the right hull material :D:D

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh is this because you cut the transom skin off???

Get an aluminum and be done with this glassin' crap!!! You've already got the brand name right, not just get the right hull material :D:D

Hey hey now. Don't be a bondo hater! Just because you tinny guys get off easy with the aluminum thing don't be making fun of us just because we like to do things the hard way. :D

jplscrapie

Seaman

okay fellas,jet if would have been easier to save the skin,no big deal . i looked at a nice pretty old larson last week,but it had transom issues(oatmeal). i know where thereis a nice old elgin for $200.00 solid floor two miner cracks on the transom,im leaning torwards that old glass. im just bummed walking by my hull in the garage everyday and the cap in the backyayd. im trying my best,it is easier to transfer my engine and accserryies to a new hull(and registration) i bought my son a new reel for his rod for x-mas we are getting itchy. oh my god im spelling like SBL

jplscrapie

Seaman

i have accesss to the big box store 3m resin,im not sure if it is waxed or not,i can pick up 3 gallons to get going. the other option is 5 gallon pails of boatyard resin from my sister with a store discount it is easier to charge the big box store for me , any thoughts? input?