3.0L to 4.3L mtr mounts and 25 yo transom

alldodge

Staff member
Since I have an electric fuel pump, I suppose I can just permanently block off that high side vent hose fitting with 5200 or marine goop?

If your talking about the brass nipple where the clear tube from the mechanical fuel pump went, I would go to the auto parts store and get a rubber cap to slide over it.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If your talking about the brass nipple where the clear tube from the mechanical fuel pump went, I would go to the auto parts store and get a rubber cap to slide over it.

It always seems those are what rot out first. I have a drawer of the caps sitting here. That vent nipple, right next to the fuel inlet fitting, is the only nipple on the carb. No vacuum there, so I guess it doesn't matter if use a neoprene nipple and leave it for posterity.

Bondo

Staff member
It always seems those are what rot out first.

Ayuh,...... Atleast if it's capped, it could possibly be used again someday,....

Fill it with 5200, 'n that door is closed,..... Forever,..... ;)

I have a drawer of the caps sitting here.

Ayuh,... Ditto that, I've got better than a large coffee can fulla caps, 'n plugs, mostly from buyin' hyd. stuff that always come capped or plugged,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Whoohoo, splashed this puppy today. Slipped up to Lewiston and dropped her into the Snake River. Runs great. I appreciate all the help. Everything came out shipshape. I have to take a picture of the engine inside the doghouse. It fills it right up.

I have a low range RPM hesitation, bogs right down until I increase throttle a bunch. Probably just need to up the throttle pump a bit.

Also have to figure out the correct prop - I used the donor boat's 19 inch 3 blade Mich Wheel on it - I can blow right past 5K without trying.. And I can hit 4600 without touching the secondaries. Speed's at 38 MPH at 4600 for a 17% slip on a crappy ratty looking prop. My guess is I'll need over a 21, but I might grab up a 4 blade 21" Solex, they're sure cheap enough on iBoats and make a good wakeboard pull prop. Fine tune from there for best speed on a more spendy wheel later on.

Thanks again for all the assistance. What with pulling the motor again, I'm a couple weeks late. But worth it!

Rick

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that's great Rick, sounds like you had a good time on the shakedown cruise :thumb:

We could've used a couple pics of the trip. :D

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Since the motor tune up, and Gen2 installation are totally finished, it was time to get rid of the old carpet and make the interior ready to go. I knew I had a bulge in the floor under where the old ski boat seat boxes sat. Figured I'd cut it out and patch it. Floor wood is dry as a bone.

What I found totally surprised me!

The entire center section of the floor is just bare treated 3/4 ply screwed down over the fuel tank and siliconed in around the edges. The wood would get wet every time it rained or a skier got into the boat. And yet this 25 year old piece of plywood is still structurally sound and only the top ply layer shows obvious signs of expansion and contraction so many times that it is turning to splinters.

floor1.jpg

I used a hole saw to punch a couple holes through the bubble in the fiberglassing on the floor, and the wood underneath might as well be put in yesterday.

floor2.jpg

Next I popped the ply cover off the fuel tank and took a look there. The only thing keeping any water out is a silicon seal around the outside, nothing at all on that piece of wood. Screw holes, top and bottom of the wood - all left bare.

floor3.jpg

I'm going to make a new cover and glass it before install. Seal it with 4200. You can see the backside nut plates I made for the screws holding the dog house hinges. The screws would no longer bite, so those were installed a few years ago.

25 year old boat must have never ever been uncovered. There is loads of places where water could destroy the wood, everything looks pristine. After bemoaning the lies about how well the boat ran when I bought it, then had to buy a new outdrive, the reality is I got a pretty good deal when the structure is so nice.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You sure got lucky alright, that green wood looks to be pressure treated and it was sitting on the aluminum tank. There could have been some serious corrosion issues with that.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That green stuff sure gives the appearance of a cyanide treatment, except it's not even. And not a lick of any corrosion whatsoever. My hope is all the thousands I have donated to this boat over the last few years has made the boat gods smile kindly upon me. I'm sure there is a gotcha in here somewhere, just to keep me on my toes - or knees, as the case may be, but I feel like rich high roller at the moment.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Rick - great thread - I'm doing a 4.3l conversion and have enjoyed reading yours - hope mine goes as well as yours did.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Rick - great thread - I'm doing a 4.3l conversion and have enjoyed reading yours - hope mine goes as well as yours did.

Thanks Speak. Looks like you have the same process to go through. It's fun if you make it so. In my case, it was mostly done for the fun of doing it. A 17 foot boat 'needs' a V6 about as much as it needs twins. And my wife, if in the boat, is not amused if I opened 'er up with the 3.0L, let alone the 100HP more V6. However, even if I don't get to make many high speed runs - I know it's back there and CAN. Besides, the V6 is smoother and quieter than the inline 4 was.

Have fun with your project. You swapping over to Mercruiser stern as well?

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Speak. Looks like you have the same process to go through. It's fun if you make it so. In my case, it was mostly done for the fun of doing it. A 17 foot boat 'needs' a V6 about as much as it needs twins. And my wife, if in the boat, is not amused if I opened 'er up with the 3.0L, let alone the 100HP more V6. However, even if I don't get to make many high speed runs - I know it's back there and CAN. Besides, the V6 is smoother and quieter than the inline 4 was.

Have fun with your project. You swapping over to Mercruiser stern as well?

Ya I'm doing the pully to prop transplant everything mercruiser - no more omc - what is your top end speed? Just curious

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ya I'm doing the pully to prop transplant everything mercruiser - no more omc - what is your top end speed? Just curious

Boat went from 33-34 MPH with the 3.0L to 45 with the V6. I suppose I could prop a little more efficient for speed, but that is plenty.

Bondo

Staff member
Boat went from 33-34 MPH with the 3.0L to 45 with the V6. I suppose I could prop a little more efficient for speed, but that is plenty.

Ayuh,.... When I did my tinbarge, it went from 28 mph with the 3.0l to 43 mph with the 4.3LX,....

53 mph in the cold dense saltwater off the coast of Maine,....

I couldn't believe the difference, but did it twice at different times,.... Gps speeds,.....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ayuh,.... When I did my tinbarge, it went from 28 mph with the 3.0l to 43 mph with the 4.3LX,....

53 mph in the cold dense saltwater off the coast of Maine,....

I couldn't believe the difference, but did it twice at different times,.... Gps speeds,.....

That is awesome Bondo. Wow, darn near doubled your speed.

My initial splash test was done with a old dinged up 19 pitch 3 blade alum mich wheel. I could over rev it without even trying.. Since there was nothing else to base any prop choice on, I just grabbed an iBoats sale Solas Rubex 4 blade 21 inch. I knew it would make a good sport pulling prop and fishing prop. I have not spent more than a minute at WOT since. Last trip, I warned the wife that I had to know what WOT was gonna do, got THE LOOK, and throttled up anyway. Trim was set to best cruise trim already and not changed. Got up to 4700 RPM and 44.8 GPS MPH (12% slip). Stuck there for a minute and then, before I gained a hole burned into the side of my head facing the passenger seat, eased it back down. I haven't a clue what is possible with a prop selected to get best top.

Bob79

Cadet
Nice thread Rick enjoyed reading that. Now for me to source a 4.3l for the winter project :joyous:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Nice thread Rick enjoyed reading that. Now for me to source a 4.3l for the winter project :joyous:

Best source is usually a donor boat. That way you get exhaust, linkages and all the fittings. Very common if you are patient. And even if you get one with a cracked block, even more common, picking up a replacement bare block and building it up with the donor boat's parts is piece of cake.